Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Charity at the Supermarket

Mistydawn

i donate to one charity regularly, and that is the salvation army. it has nothing to do with their religion. it has to do with their loving beautiful helping souls.

i also make a point to shop in two other thrift shops in town - one is for the city mission and the other is a hospice.

i do not donate to medical causes, nor do i donate to political causes.

Oh, and I always tip good street performers. They're working their tail off... I stopped to enjoy them, so they get my bucks.

Homeless people don't get my money but they might get my sandwich, a bus pass, or my soda, or anything thing else I'm carrying that they might need except money. I even once gave a spare cell phone to a homeless woman so she could dial 911 if necessary. (it didn't work for anything other than calling 911 though).

The only charities I give money to are the ones I research fully and know exactly how their funds are distributed. I have two favorite charities that get my money. One is a homeless shelter for teens and young adults predominately coming out of the foster system, the other is for uncompensated care at a local childrens hospital. For other charities whose cause I might feel strongly about, I may make silent auction donations of handcrafted jewelry that fetch a good price. I'm happy to donate my time and supply costs and frankly I get exposure from that as a local artisan as well.

I do not give to national, international or foreign charities. It's just not what I do, although if others would like to, that's their choice. I keep it local baby. Oh, and I will buy Girl Scout cookies. I was a Girl Scout, I liked the organization and learned a lot from it, and let's face it... those cookies are damn delicious. LOL.

• Like 3

as for supermarket charities. we don't have the actual people canvassing, the checkout gals ask if you want to donate to whatever cause they are promoting at that time. it's currently breast cancer (it always seems to be breast cancer now everywhere ya go...)

the one thing i do donate to at the supermarket is the food bank bin. they even have preselected items together in a package you can buy and put in the in as you go through the check out if you don't want to have to decide what to put in.

edit to try and fix the font size issue. what's up with that anyway?

Edited by JGirl

Read through this thread earlier and decided to come back to comment. Forgive my laziness, but I can't be bothered with looking for the one who said that the Scouts should be out doing something to raise their monies. I agree with this 100%! I was in the Girl Scouts for most of my childhood. For us, it was all about the cookie sales. My brother was in the Indian Guides and later the Boy Scouts. For them it was popcorn and something else. When I lived in California, during the Spring and Summer (school was year round for most of the schools in the area I lived in) there were car washes galore. I know this may sound a bit self-centred, but I find it easier (?) to donate if I get something in return... cookies, a nice tin of popcorn, my car washed, etc. I, too, avoid donating to most causes; even when the Children's Miracle Network fundraises at various shops around town. Why? Because I give three hours of my time to the local hospital every Friday. Sometimes more is given if there's a special event I can make it to. I think giving of your time is cheaper for those with budgetary limits, too.

• Like 1

Read through this thread earlier and decided to come back to comment. Forgive my laziness, but I can't be bothered with looking for the one who said that the Scouts should be out doing something to raise their monies. I agree with this 100%! I was in the Girl Scouts for most of my childhood. For us, it was all about the cookie sales. My brother was in the Indian Guides and later the Boy Scouts. For them it was popcorn and something else. When I lived in California, during the Spring and Summer (school was year round for most of the schools in the area I lived in) there were car washes galore. I know this may sound a bit self-centred, but I find it easier (?) to donate if I get something in return... cookies, a nice tin of popcorn, my car washed, etc. I, too, avoid donating to most causes; even when the Children's Miracle Network fundraises at various shops around town. Why? Because I give three hours of my time to the local hospital every Friday. Sometimes more is given if there's a special event I can make it to. I think giving of your time is cheaper for those with budgetary limits, too.

I make an abrupt U-turn whenever I see GS Cookies!

All they need to do is read this thread to learn why it's down. LOL I read some of the comments and they range from "everyone should always give" to more like what is being said here.

Our charities here seem to be up in the fashion stakes. resently we have on our shopping streets a group of around 6 young adults all wearing the same waterproof jackets, clipboards and pens with the name of the charity on, surely this must have cost a touch? A t.shirt and a pair of jeans would have sufficed!

Our charities here seem to be up in the fashion stakes. presently we have on our shopping streets a group of around 6 young adults all wearing the same waterproof jackets, clipboards and pens with the name of the charity on, surely this must have cost a touch? A t.shirt and a pair of jeans would have sufficed!

Not the first time that's been seen, either!

HitlerYouth1.png

I just saw this news article and thought it fitted well in this thread.

Charity donations down 20%, says UK

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-20304267

So women give more than men. Wonder why? I tend to think the Charities in the recession probably realise that many households are struggling to survive and they should concentrate their efforts on the big business and corporate finances that are ripping us all off every day.

The ones at the top don't give proportionally, not all obviously, but most.

• Like 1

Not the first time that's been seen, either!

HitlerYouth1.png

No clipboards, obviously things have progressed since then.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Okay the heat is on. In my Superdoopermarket today, the guy packing my groceries with his bucket at the ready, had no sign to say what he was collecting for... so ask says you... okaaaay, but you don't live in my neck of the woods. He was pretty intimidating looking. I will complain to the Store, but at that moment, I still had to shell out cash...

There's bigger obstructions in the High Street than charity workers....

You've got survey compilers,people flogging outside a shop and youths bumming cigarettes.

There's no point turning your nose up at charity collections.

However I agree that if they thrust their bucket in your face you should really learn how to sidestep.

The cynics would say some of these charities are unregistered anyway.

That's why you must supply them with your unwanted loose change.

Edited by Walnut Whip