Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Going on First "official" Investigation...

gantonio45

I, like many have had experiences with the paranormal since my early childhood days. I, again like many, used to go out to places like cemetaries, abandoned buildings, etc, in search for any sort of spiritual activity. However, it wasn't until recently that I began to take studies and research in the paranormal very seriously. I have no intentions of getting a television show, or doing this as a profession for the fame.

After a year a half of studies, research, and field investigations, I can say I am officially a Certified Paranormal Investigator, and (as much as our society deems) an accredited investigator as well. My studies are far from over however, as I plan to learn all I can about anything related to metaphysics, parapsychology, spiritual healing, mediumship, ufology, etc.

Within the next week or so, myself and a team of three others who have gone through the coursework and studies will be embarking on our first "official" investigation. This investigation happens to be at the house of a mutual friend of two of us. I have told this friend to not have any high expectations and that we as a team will be thorough and honest. Fabrication is not we are about. If we catch nothing, we report that we caught nothing.

I just wanted to come and share this with all of you here on these boards, as this has been a long-time goal of mine and I feel I am just getting started.

• Like 1

I'm looking forward to your report. It sounds both fun and interesting, and beats getting drunk on Saturday night!

is there something different about your friends house where you will be doing your investigation?

Good luck with your investigation. Hope you see something, there is nothing like seeing a ghost.

Did something happen in your friends house to make you want to start there?

Ever heard of a web sight called Might be Haunted. They give a listing of haunting's in all the states.

Good luck and don't forget to post back.

Good luck with your investigation. Hope you see something, there is nothing like seeing a ghost.

Did something happen in your friends house to make you want to start there?

Ever heard of a web sight called Might be Haunted. They give a listing of haunting's in all the states.

A lot of those in Nevada and Southern Oregon are 100% false. ( claims of suicides and such, not true at all )

That would most likely mean the same for the rest of the States.

Edited by Sakari

I can say I am officially a Certified Paranormal Investigator, and (as much as our society deems) an accredited investigator as well.

'Offically', 'certified' and 'accredited' all have rather well defined meanings. Please elaborate on who or what has officially certified you, what is the name of your accreditation and the authority that supplied it.

Thanks.

• Like 2

I would also like to know about the "officially, certified and accredited" bit. if someone has a the gift or a knack to spot these experiences, does it mean they are not taken seriously unless they have a piece of paper to say so?

'Offically', 'certified' and 'accredited' all have rather well defined meanings. Please elaborate on who or what has officially certified you, what is the name of your accreditation and the authority that supplied it.

Thanks.

I'd be curious to know what he means too. 'Accredited' means that you have passed a qualification that has the approval of an independent accreditation organisation that has verified that the qualification actually means something. Society does not provide accreditation which is why I find the statement that he is accredited 'as much as society deems'.

so excited for you! it would be so nice to finally be able to go on an actual investigation. it's not so fun sitting around watching tv shows and the investigators getting to go to these incredible places with so much history and supposed paranormal activity, you must be pretty stoked!

Hey guys,

I just wanted to get back to all of you on the forum here and let you know what's been going on. I know a couple of you asked what I meant by "accredited" and "certified" as it pertains to paranormal investigation; so I thought I'd share and not keep you all in the dark.

For the past year or so, give and take a few months I have been enrolled in online courses for one of the few "legitimate" options when it comes to paranormal studies. This place has a website that you all can check out if you so choose. It's www.metaphysicsinstitute.org. After copious research and talking with a few people who also went through some courses I decided to give it a shot.

The thing is, unlike a traditional academic degree, there is no traditional process to make these degrees "official." The degrees and certificates offered by the Institute of Metaphysical Humanistic Science are deemed religious and thus non-secular in nature. It is only through the Metaphysical Church of Humanistic Science that these degrees/certificates can be "recognized" as something officially earned. So yes, while someone can indeed start doing this on their own and indeed strenghthen their own abilities; having a piece of paper from sources such as a campus dealing exclusively with things metaphysical in nature, is the closest thing someone can earn that makes it a bit easier to be taken seriously as a professional.

To begin with, I simply enrolled in the Paranormal Investigator Certification course, and earned my "degree" at my own pace. As I mentioned before, I would love to make a legitimate profession out of doing this, and helping as many people as I can. For me, it's not about fame, money, a tv show, etc. It's simply knowing the things I have seen, heard, and have been able to feel throughout my entire life that lets me know that the spirit world is very real.

To answer another question that was raised about my friends house and what it is that has made me want to strart investigating there. Simply put, he asked me if I'd be willing to take a look. I actually have never been inside his house, so with this investigation, it truly will be all new to me. He has been around me many times when weird and unexplainable things have happened, and once he knew I was taking courses dealing with the paranormal, he thought he'd have me see what I could find.

The investigation itself probably is another two-three weeks away. I'm still in the process of purchasing more equipment that myself and my team will need, as well as personal equipment to keep on me at all times during an investigation. What I didn't anticipate was the cost of this equipment upon getting started. This is indeed a process, but myself and my team want to do it the right way, the professional way.

Have fun with the investigation when you get to it. Though I can't say I'd fancy people poking through my house with tons of equipment!

For the past year or so, give and take a few months I have been enrolled in online courses for one of the few "legitimate" options when it comes to paranormal studies.

Define "legitimate"... Near me there's a house where a loonie runs a 'school' on faeries, dragons, nymphs..

The thing is, unlike a traditional academic degree, there is no traditional process to make these degrees "official."

Ever wondered just why that might be? Perhaps you should start.

So let's just clarify. It's NOT official. That 'Institute' is in no way accredited, nor is it able to *give* real accreditations, certificates or degrees. I'm surprised that is allowed to make claims that it does give degrees, Master's and PhD's.

It is only through the Metaphysical Church of Humanistic Science that these degrees/certificates can be "recognized" as something officially earned.

Well, there's a surprise. And you are paying for this?....

I'm still in the process of purchasing more equipment that myself and my team will need, as well as personal equipment to keep on me at all times during an investigation. What I didn't anticipate was the cost of this equipment upon getting started.

So the course wasn't exactly comprehensive, then, was it? Please don't tell me that the 'Institute' also sells equipment..

Look, I may sound like a total naysayer, but seriously.. Calling yourself a PhD when your 'qualification' comes from a place like that is highly misleading (here in Australia it is illegal).

I'll be most interested to see your investigation.. I trust it will have all the things that a *real* investigation/analysis requires - if it doesn't, I'll be happy to point out all the problems.. And may I suggest that to avoid potential legal issues in the future, you be careful about how you represent yourself and your 'qualifications'.

• Like 2