Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

15 States have filed a petition to secede

Socio

The US federal government will quash those initiatives. Washington state just managed to clear up a whole load of court time, and save themselves a whole lot of money.

I live in BC. Medical use only.

It's been mostly decriminalized in BC. Very much in the same way it has in Washington for the last 10 years. While it technically remains illegal, no one is going to arrest you or prosecute you for having it or even smoking it. I saw evidence of that last time I was in Whistler/Blackcomb just before the Olympics. There were a lot of mellow people walking around with blunts hanging out of their mouths and the RCMP was totally turning a blind eye.

And, Washington state didn't clear up any court time yet. Only Pierce and King county have dropped possession charges so far (Tacoma and Seattle) And, there were only a 170 of those and all of those had other crimes attached to them. LIke assault or drunk driving... all of those 170 people are still going to be prosecuted for whatever they did, because marijuana possession wasn't the only thing they were arrested for.

The federal government won't "quash" the initiatives, legally they can't. But they can make it very difficult on Colorado and Washington by denying them certain Federal funds and make it difficult for the growers and distributors to open bank accounts etc... That's what I think will happen, IF the feds act fast enough. If they don't do it within 2 years, they'll find themselves in a postion of trying to sanction 7 or 8 states rather than just 2.

Edited by MissMelsWell

I think all the blue states should secede!

Dear Red States:

We're ticked off at your Neanderthal attitudes and politics and we've

decided we're leaving.

We in New York intend to form our own country and we're taking the other

Blue States with us.

In case you aren't aware that includes California, Hawaii, Oregon,

Washington, Minnesota, Wisconsin, Michigan, Illinois and the rest of the

Northeast.

We believe this split will be beneficial to the nation and especially to

the people of the new country of The Enlightened States of America

(E.S.A).

To sum up briefly:

You get Texas, Oklahoma and all the slave states.

We get stem cell research and the best beaches.

We get Bernie Sanders and Elizabeth Warren. You get Scott Desjarlais and Todd

Akin.

We get the Statue of Liberty. You get OpryLand.

We get Intel and Microsoft. You get WorldCom.

We get Harvard (Princeton, Penn, Haverford, Colgate, U of R),. You get

Ole' Miss.

We get 85 percent of America's venture capital and entrepreneurs.

You get Alabama.

We get two-thirds of the tax revenue. You get to make the red states pay

their fair share.

Since our aggregate divorce rate is 22 percent lower than the Christian

Coalition's, we get a bunch of happy families. You get a bunch of single

moms.

With the Blue States in hand we will have firm control of 80% of the

country's fresh water, more than 90% of the pineapple and lettuce, 92%

of the nation's fresh fruit, 95% of America's quality wines (you can

serve French wines at state dinners) 90% of all cheese, 90 percent of

the high tech industry, most of the US low sulfur coal, all living

redwoods, sequoias and condors, all the Ivy and Seven Sister schools

plus Harvard, Yale, Stanford, Cal Tech and MIT.

With the Red States you will have to cope with 88% of all obese

Americans and their projected health care costs, 92% of all US

mosquitoes, nearly 100% of the tornadoes, 90% of the hurricanes, 99% of

all Southern Baptists, virtually 100% of all televangelists, Rush

Limbaugh, Bob Jones University, Clemson and the University of Georgia.

We get Hollywood and Yosemite, thank you.

38% of those in the Red states believe Jonah was actually swallowed by a

whale, 62% believe life is sacred unless we're discussing the death

penalty or gun laws, 44% say that evolution is only a theory, 53% that

Saddam was involved in 9/11 and 61% of you crazy b******* believe you

are people with higher morals then we lefties.

We're taking the good weed too. You can have that crap they grow in

Mexico.

Sincerely,

Citizens of the Enlightened (Blue) States of America

Silly me for thinking we were the 'United' States. Looks like it's the 'Enlightened' States of America and the 'Bumpkin' States of America.

We're a nation of divided political opinions, but we're all still part of the United States, that the great thing about it and the first amendment, you can vocalize it, share it, and at the end of the day, shake hands and know that everyone's still got your back because above all else, we're a country of freedom and protecting those rights of freedom, no matter how 'enlightened' we think we are.

Edited by Hasina
  • Like 1

What? You mean this is a misleading article title, trying to portray the actions of a few sore losers as an official request from the states?

HOW UNUSUAL!

• Like 2

If all blue states actually seceded, they wouldn't financially survive as there's no way they could pay for their own welfare state programs.

• Like 1

If all blue states actually seceded, they wouldn't financially survive as there's no way they could pay for their own welfare state programs.

I tend to doubt that as most taxes are collected in the blue states.

• Like 1

I tend to doubt that as most taxes are collected in the blue states.
Doesn't really matter, we'll never know anyway.

This seems to be a pattern among dwellers of the bubble.

Edited by Neognosis

Yeah, where I come from here in the US, it takes X number of signatures to even make it on a ballot, which usually, not always, a very small percentage of the state registered voters.

Then, that "referendum" is voted on by the entire state at some point in the next election cycle.

Very few rediculous referendums are even passed by the state.

Actual state secession from the US also becomes further inherently difficult, as the US Congress must approve the secession.

• Like 3

Yeah, where I come from here in the US, it takes X number of signatures to even make it on a ballot, which usually, not always, a very small percentage of the state registered voters.

Then, that "referendum" is voted on by the entire state at some point in the next election cycle.

Very few rediculous referendums are even passed by the state.

Actual state secession from the US also becomes further inherently difficult, as the US Congress must approve the secession.

There are a few exceptions, like Texas that could secede unilaterally (as negotiated in the accession to the Union), but for the most part it is not that easy, especially not if they want to be recognized internationally after breaking away.

There are a few exceptions, like Texas that could secede unilaterally (as negotiated in the accession to the Union), but for the most part it is not that easy, especially not if they want to be recognized internationally after breaking away.

Remindes me of Quebec, not a chance they could make it on there own or would be far worse off with out Canada. All this is silly talk.

I would certainly be happy to let the South go its own way. We would have a better country without them and they would be happy forming their own racist Bible Thumper Confederacy.

• Like 1

I think some states would just like to be left alone and allowed to fend for themselves without the Federal government dictating everything to them.

I think some states would just like to be left alone and allowed to fend for themselves without the Federal government dictating everything to them.

That is their right, but then they should not scream if somebody takes their pork barrel away too.

I would certainly be happy to let the South go its own way. We would have a better country without them and they would be happy forming their own racist Bible Thumper Confederacy.

Way to generalize!! I love it when someone lumps a whole group of people together in judgement while calling them racist. While Southerners aren't a race per se, you're still judging an entire demographic of people while condemning them for basically doing what you just did. :no::td:

Edited by Pandora7321
  • Like 4

Remindes me of Quebec, not a chance they could make it on there own or would be far worse off with out Canada. All this is silly talk.

It is silly talk. Texas can't secede from the nation.

Obama won.. get over it America.. (easy to say when you aren't American.. ie me).. lol..

why don't people put all that energy into helping the homeless and poor?

Obama won.. get over it America.. (easy to say when you aren't American.. ie me).. lol..

why don't people put all that energy into helping the homeless and poor?

Because then we'd actually have to to do something! D:

• Like 1

So if these people do get their dream, and establish the Free Republic of Texas or Tennesee, I suppose they'd expect, like the somewhat similar example of Scotland, that some people (i.e. Alex Salmon) want to break away from the UK, they'd expect to be able to take over the armed forces that are currently based there? Or would they be content with a redneck militia? How long would it be before (say) Republic of Texas decides that it wouldn't mind a bit of, say, the Democratic Republic of Louisiana?

I suppose at least it might distract them from wanting to invade various Middle Eastern countries.

If they think they can, by all means let them, but how long will it be before they're politely asking Washington if they wouldn't mind tiding them over for a bit due to a slight unforeseen cash flow porblem ...?

The majority don't (as a Texan I've got my fingers on the pulse of that, you could almost say) and Texas doesn't deserve it either, it's part of the Union (as the definition states for union: The action or fact of joining together or being joined together, esp. in a political context). Or “Then join hand in hand, brave Americans all! By uniting we stand, by dividing we fall!”

Approx. 23,000 out of a population of approx, 26 million, I believe it was.

Approx. 23,000 out of a population of approx, 26 million, I believe it was.

So about 0.08846153846153847% of the total population has signed it? Woo dawgy! I should get ready to call this the Lone Star Country!

• Like 1

So about 0.08846153846153847% of the total population has signed it? Woo dawgy! I should get ready to call this the Lone Star Country!

I like Texas (and America) I've been there a few times,but I do have a hard time understanding the accent, dang it y'all.