Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Indianapolis Explosion

F3SS

Indiana House Explosion Kills Two

http://www.dailymail.com/News/NationandWorld/201211110127

INDIANAPOLIS - A massive explosion sparked a huge fire and killed two people in an Indianapolis neighborhood where about three dozen homes were damaged or destroyed, authorities said Sunday. The powerful nighttime blast shattered windows, crumpled walls and could be felt at least three miles away.

Aerial photographs of the once-tidy neighborhood of one- and two-story homes showed at least two had been reduced to blackened pits of debris. Other homes had sections gutted by fire or holes in their roofs or exterior walls. Siding dangled from the outside of other homes, and crumpled garage doors hung from houses nearby. Pieces of wood and other building materials littered the street and surrounding properties.

It wasn't clear what caused the blast. Firefighters responding to a call about a single house fire were surprised by a much bigger blaze. The fire centered on four homes, two that were leveled and two others that only had the frames standing by the time the flames were extinguished, Deputy Chief Kenny Bacon said.

The damage extended two blocks in every direction, he said, and fire officials didn't initially realize the extent of it in the darkness. City and fire officials said Sunday afternoon that about two dozen homes were uninhabitable and would have to be torn down. Several more had severe damage but could be fixed.

That's an incredible explosion. Could a gas leak really do that? I know that could do some damage but that would've been a serious amount of gas and nobody smelled it? A meth lab? Wouldn't here be some evidence or someone talking about who lived there? This story is only 24 hours old but I would think there would be some lead on what may have caused it. Maybe not. Thought it was crazy and figured I'd share.

We had a bar that blew up from a gas leak several years back. The end result looked just about the same, so yeah, I think just a simple gas leak could do that.

Heard this early this morning but the reports were just coming out. Yes, a gas leak can do that. It could be that the gas was building up in a pocket for awhile before it exploded. Surprised that no one reported smelling it, but that doesn't always happen either.

Two years after the deck fire and incidents like this scary me. Here in Maryland houses blowing up are kinda common, not many.

• 2 weeks later...

Update on this story:

INDIANAPOLIS (AP) — The house explosion that killed two people and destroyed several homes in an Indianapolis neighborhood is now a homicide investigation, authorities said, though no suspects have been named.

Indianapolis Homeland Security Director Gary Coons made the announcement Monday evening, shortly after a funeral was held for the husband and wife who were killed. The couple lived next door to the house where investigators believe the blast occurred.

Full story

Yea I seen that earlier. Almost confirms my suspicion that the house was literally filled with gas. An explosion that size just doesn't seem feasable from a small gas leak or at least it doesn't seem feasable that noone would've noticed the smell.

We just had a guy in our area get sent to prison for involuntary manslaughter due to a bad repair on a propane line that filled the basement with gas and then ignited. Killed pretty much his whole family.

We just had a guy in our area get sent to prison for involuntary manslaughter due to a bad repair on a propane line that filled the basement with gas and then ignited. Killed pretty much his whole family.

That happens if you want to save the $50 for the propane detector with shutoff valve

Crazy. Likely a case of using the cheapest guy. I have only a little experience installing or rerouting gas lines but its just plain irresponsible not to triple check connections for leaks. All you need is a cup of water and some dish soap. Brush some sudsy water on the connections and the smallest pinhole of a leak will instantly be visible when the suds start bubbling.

That happens if you want to save the $50 for the propane detector with shutoff valve

I happened to be on a juror in a case last year where a woman was blown up by a propane leak in her basement. Poor lady survived, but the thing I found out was how few propane customers even know these detectors exist. I immediately went and bought my parents (they use propane) a detector (they had no idea about them either). Propane is much more dangerous than Natural Gas, as it will actually pool into the lowest spots, and remain virtually undetectable in other areas of the home.

I happened to be on a juror in a case last year where a woman was blown up by a propane leak in her basement. Poor lady survived, but the thing I found out was how few propane customers even know these detectors exist. I immediately went and bought my parents (they use propane) a detector (they had no idea about them either). Propane is much more dangerous than Natural Gas, as it will actually pool into the lowest spots, and remain virtually undetectable in other areas of the home.

There are two types, one just squawks and the other shuts off the gas mains (outside the house) or at the bottle (hopefully stored outside). The second is as safe as it can get as it works with spring tension released by an electric impulse (also given if the battery is low).

• Like 1

Crazy. Likely a case of using the cheapest guy. I have only a little experience installing or rerouting gas lines but its just plain irresponsible not to triple check connections for leaks. All you need is a cup of water and some dish soap. Brush some sudsy water on the connections and the smallest pinhole of a leak will instantly be visible when the suds start bubbling.

If you're a real badass you use a lighter.

• Like 1

Yea I'd use a lighter without hesitation but those pesky homeowners are sue-happy these days. They don't like their house on fire. Whaa!!!! Anything to make my job harder!

Edited by -Mr_Fess-
  • Like 1

Wow. That's one powerful explosion.

Looks very similar to the devistation cause by a natural gas leak/build-up/sorce of ignition explosion that happened at a house in my city.

It looked like a war zone. No people were killed. The house itself was completely obliterated. Many neighboring houses suffered damage.

• 1 month later...

There have been arrests in this case recently. This couple blew up their own house for insurance money, and their neighbors died in the explosion.

http://www.theindychannel.com/news/local-news/monserrate-shirley-mark-leonard-robert-leonard-arrested-in-deadly-indianapolis-home-explosion

Thats what happens when you dont maintain infrastrucuture

There have been arrests in this case recently. This couple blew up their own house for insurance money, and their neighbors died in the explosion.

http://www.theindych...-home-explosion

GOD! I hate cases like this! People are that desperate for money?! Thanks for the update and I'll read the article.