Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Are humans getting less intelligent?

Still Waters

Look around you at the next meeting you attend. If you are like most, everyone around will be using a laptop, or will be PRINTING their notes on a notepad. No need for cursive writing any longer. Time is better spent learning how to use a keyboard.

Not learning to write cursive or even read cursive writing is just one more step in devolution, the dumbing down of the populace, one less skill that humans possess.

Not learning to write cursive or even read cursive writing is just one more step in devolution, the dumbing down of the populace, one less skill that humans possess.

Absolutely NOT.

I don't know how to write cuneiform or hieroglyphs either. Why? Because, like cursive writing, they are OBSOLETE.

we are turning kids out who don't have proper computer skills and who can't type. Oh, but they can write in curly, fancy handwriting? Well done. That'll serve them well...

There are only so many hours in a day. Do we use that time to teach them how to write in an obsolete style that most people don't use, and don't need to use? Or do we teach them proper basic computing and keyboarding?

Not really time for both.

The answer should be OBVIOUS.

Failure to teach basic computing and keyboarding, while teaching cursive writing instead, IS devolution. It is, by definition, FAILURE to adapt to a new scenario.

In your opinion.

I think this article is kinda misleading. With Google at our fingertips, I'll bet we are getting a little more "educated" as a race than ever. Used to require timely visits to the library or asking a professional.

Maybe some of our common sense is degenerating, especially as more and more things become automated for us (motion sensors in restrooms, online bills, and eventually our cars will drive us).

I've always thought Wall-E probably has a pretty accurate scope of what our future may resemble. Not so much the doomsday-garbage-scenario, but technological automation for humans to the point that they are fat, lazy, and inactive.

Really? It's just my opinion that limited time is better allocated to a skill that kids will need, rather than one that serves no purpose?

I suppose it is my opinion, but pretty much just like it's also my opinion that being lit on fire is painful.

Absolutely NOT.

I don't know how to write cuneiform or hieroglyphs either. Why? Because, like cursive writing, they are OBSOLETE.

we are turning kids out who don't have proper computer skills and who can't type. Oh, but they can write in curly, fancy handwriting? Well done. That'll serve them well...

There are only so many hours in a day. Do we use that time to teach them how to write in an obsolete style that most people don't use, and don't need to use? Or do we teach them proper basic computing and keyboarding?

Not really time for both.

The answer should be OBVIOUS.

Failure to teach basic computing and keyboarding, while teaching cursive writing instead, IS devolution. It is, by definition, FAILURE to adapt to a new scenario.

Yes, we are living in a digital age and times move on, but young kids still need to learn how to put a pencil to paper and be able to write, not fancy, but basic neat handwriting.. Not every kid will have a PC at home

My 7 year old is learning both at her primary school.. Basic keyboard skills and how to write proper sentences on paper...I do however most certainly agree, that keyboard skills are essential in this day and age..

Edited by Beckys_Mom

Yes, we are living in a digital age and times move on, but young kids still need to learn how to put a pencil to paper and be able to write, not fancy, but basic neat handwriting.. Not every kid will have a PC at home

They have to learn how to print first... and if they can print, they can put pencil to paper and be able to write neat, not fancy, but basic neat handwriting. Just not cursive.

As for every kid not having a PC at home, that's EVEN MORE reason that they need to learn how to use one, how to type on one, how to write and respond to an email, write a paper, use a spreadsheet... at school.

I think you and I probably agree.

i wish someone had forced me to take keyboard skills ( Typing) 40 odd years ago when i was in school, perhaps i wouldn't have to go back and proof read this six times just so i only have four or five spelling mistakes

it is my opinion that intelligence is a lot like gravity in that if and or when you stop going up you will start coming down. some fields of study and endevor require new minds and more intelligence Most don't seem to however Being as we have become intelligent enough to modify our Environment to help our species survive ( for a time ) most of us have no reason to continue our quest for improved intelligence. yes we created and now have computers which can do ( to much) for us. so lets let the computers and the assembly lines and the robots do it for us while we stagnate in our homes. doesn't matter that some of us go to work and some can't find work. doesn't matter who we have as our politicians, individually it doesn't matter but as a species if we don't have a desperate need to continue becoming more intelligent we will slide backwards and perhaps something else on this planet will surpass us.

the movies and Tv are a good example how many remakes and remakes of remakes are out there( different names but the same storys over and over and over.....) and how much new and unique ideas are out there we don't use the imagination any more and therefore it slowly goes away instead all we get is reality this and reality that.

I have always said about myself. I am just barely intelligent enought to understand i am not really very intelligent.

They have to learn how to print first... and if they can print, they can put pencil to paper and be able to write neat, not fancy, but basic neat handwriting. Just not cursive.

As for every kid not having a PC at home, that's EVEN MORE reason that they need to learn how to use one, how to type on one, how to write and respond to an email, write a paper, use a spreadsheet... at school.

I think you and I probably agree.

Yes we do agree, and to add, that is what I meant by - basic handwriting..print. .. I am sure they will learn most of that at school.. I allow Becky to take a bash at it at home too..When my back is turned though, angry birds seem to pop up....sigh

The list you have up there that you feel they need to learn.. I agree with that too..Simply because when they reach the time to go out and work, many places will require those skills

Doctors ( in local GP surgeries ) used to handwrite their prescriptions to their patients, and most of them were done in fancy cursive writing.. Now they are more up-to date with the computers making it easier .. They now just print off their prescriptions .. Times move on and many move with it

Edited by Beckys_Mom

yes we created and now have computers which can do ( to much) for us. so lets let the computers and the assembly lines and the robots do it for us while we stagnate in our homes.

Yes, HOWEVER, we are not stagnating in our homes while we let computers do everything for us. We are USING computers and pushing the boundaries of what we can do.

For example, let's consider computers, searchable and customizable databases, email, and the internet.

Now, let's consider a team of research scientists. 30 years ago, they would have had someone with a full time job to track every experiment, the parameters, blinds, participants, and ultimately, the results. They would need to write this down, and spend a large amount of time organizing the data. Then, to determine any trends, they would need a lot of time to further organize and track the data. Then, if they come up with something, or even if they don't, they need to publish that data, on paper. Then maybe mail it to teams in other countries, or even across the state, and they would have to read it and see if it relates to their work.

Today, we have computers, searchable and customizable databases, email, and the internet. We COULD just let computers do all the work and sit at home and stagnate. But instead, we continue to do research, but what would have taken a week to organize and isolate trends, now LITERALLY takes seconds. What would take days to send can be shared in real time. The end result is that research and development and experimentation and things like CURES and better treatments happen EXPONENTIALLY faster. Not to mention that one group doing research in... Germany can INSTANTLY see the results from another group in.... the US, and their collaboration can happen many, many times faster than before.

so, while computers and advances in tech make things easier, we use them to PUSH what we are doing in both time and quality. We don't just give up and do nothing. As a species, anyhow. Individuals, well, that's different.

I don't believe so, we still need basic intelligence to remain where we are, if we were getting less intelligent,then it would show itself first as an international drop of test scores in kids and slowly get worse. Most have stopped thinking for themselves, being conditioned to just absorb and regurgitate information, not to think beyond it. it isn't that we're getting less intelligent, it's simply that we have reached such a stable point in survival that we no longer NEED to think beyond what is presented, but when the need for survival kicks in again, human minds will race to correct the problem at hand through any conceivable angle and then return to the previous cycle.

Edited by CelestialStar

Yes we are, but its not really our fault. We are at the mercy of some pretty advanced programmers. We must break away while we still have our genes in tact!

I think so.

Why bother remembering a telephone number when your phone does it for you?

Why read a book when wikipedia has all the answers?

Why learn to basic maths when a calculator will do it for you?

Why imagine or create when you can just go out and buy the DVD?

Technology does have it's down-sides..

Edited by Professor T

It is no different from looking through your personal number book BEFORE mobile phones became popular.. The phone is an easier way..

The answers and info that are posted on Wiki, came from books... You are still reading to find the answers.. Does not matter where it is, hard back book or on line.. More are reading on line it's convenient... To add - The Amazon Kindle is also most popular..

Why learn to basic maths when a calculator will do it for you?

If you don't learn how to do basic math, how else are you going to learn how to use the calculator? ..It's like basic reading and writing skills, if you don't know how to read or spell? How else can you use a keyboard?

So, people who watch movies etc have no clue how to be creative?... If we ditched our creativity as a result of watching a DVD, then how can we create MORE dvd's for future generations to watch?

Technology does have it's down-sides..

No..it doesn't

Edited by Beckys_Mom

Becoming less intelligent.. I dont know if it is as simple as that. I believe humaninty is becoming less independent (people are), and de-volving biologically in many ways. There are people that benefit from providing so much media to fill peoples lives with just sitting idle, staring at a screen and being programed with so many differing opinions, that it gives them less personal direction and they are more prone to need to be told what to do. We are making many advancements in technology, but much of this can be summed up as the leaning on the great minds of the past as a crutch, and adding to their discoveries. Medical and Social care are making us more dependent by doing away with natural selection. And many people with treatable genetic disorders, are crossing those disorders in the gene pool, so that in another 4 generations, most humans will not be born able to survive without the medical industry.

DONT GET ME WRONG. I LOVE my shows, music, being able to save the lives of the sick and live healthy, being a father to two children, one handicapped, and the safety and comfort of the authorities and regulations that ensure my fair experience, here. I wouldnt take those things away from my life. But that does not mean it is for the greater good and development of humanity as a whole.

I believe humans had a connectedness type of intelligence, that we have been drifting away from and that the further we drift, the more we must substitute that web of connectedness with man-made, artificial means. But there are many ways that we are MORE intelligent, as well.

Edited by AwakenAscension

And now that I am reading the other posts, I do agree that the basic assumption that letting technology make decisions for us, in order to "make things more efficient", by freeing up "mental capacity" for other things, is a total failure. The more we exercise the brain/mind, the more specific our stronger neural connections become. This idea of having to think less, making things "better" for us in some way, is inaccurate and the reduction in mental activity over long term, can have serious effects, not just on IQ, but emotional stability. I think we have seen the progression of that over the past century, as well (Of mental/emotional instability).

Edited by AwakenAscension

No, in some parts of the world humans are just getting less informed.

It is no different from looking through your personal number book BEFORE mobile phones became popular.. The phone is an easier way..

The answers and info that are posted on Wiki, came from books... You are still reading to find the answers.. Does not matter where it is, hard back book or on line.. More are reading on line it's convenient... To add - The Amazon Kindle is also most popular..

If you don't learn how to do basic math, how else are you going to learn how to use the calculator? ..It's like basic reading and writing skills, if you don't know how to read or spell? How else can you use a keyboard?

So, people who watch movies etc have no clue how to be creative?... If we ditched our creativity as a result of watching a DVD, then how can we create MORE dvd's for future generations to watch?

No..it doesn't

Hey Beckys_Mom..

Please don't take this quote as a personal attack, lol..

Albert Einstein: "I fear the day when the technology overlaps with our humanity. The world will only have a generation of idiots."

iphone-how-to-curious-focused-texting-cell-phone.jpg

I think so.

People no longer even try to remember frequent numbers anymore.. What's that doing to our memory?

Bang! I've got the answers! great! But do I understand how the answer came about?

Why learn basic maths when a calculator will do it for you?

Again, do understand how the answer came about, can my brain comprehend, do people even try?

It's been shown in countless studies that watching TV & DVD's disrupts the functions of the brain and dumb people down..

Technology does have it's down-sides........ period!

Were we less intelligent, when we jotted peoples phone numbers down before mobile phones ? A cell phone / mobile .. is basically making it more convenient.. like having your phone and phone book all in one..

Albert Einstein: "I fear the day when the technology overlaps with our humanity. The world will only have a generation of idiots."

Some people have claimed to have searched for that quote to see if Einstein actually did say it, and could not find it.. Thing is whether he did or did not say it.. Technology as a whole, has its pros and cons.. Yes some kids can get lazy, with the misuse of it, it can be costly.. But there are so many good things that technology has done and made lives better

Again, do understand how the answer came about, can my brain comprehend, do people even try?

Calculators only do the the low level tasks of computation...they do not "think" ...They can speed up the learning process.. When a kid can understand how to use a calculator, they get to experience more time to explore challenging and interesting mathematics... Many people find them handy at work.. IE A store full of customers and they cannot spend all day working out dimensions etc, so they know how to do that using a calculator ,, it makes it easier and gets the job done faster, so they have more time focusing on other queries customers may have

Bang! I've got the answers! great! But do I understand how the answer came about?

Wiki usually lists the sources and references at the bottom of the page..

Watching TV also is good for educating you.. Many people ( myself included ) love to watch movies and it has not dumbed us down ... In fact, I am creative, I love to write... Sometimes I am inspired by what DVD's I have watched.. .. TV for so many can make kids lazy, but I do not think it dumb's them down..

No it doesn't.......period lol

Technology as a whole, has its pros and cons..

No it doesn't.......period lol

Lol.. :tu: