Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

When a school fails a child

me-wonders

There is much that can be said about cultural change and the increased importance of education. I remember when a person didn't need to read or write to get a job. There is plenty of work that does not require education, but in some states a person without a high school diploma doesn't have a chance, because policy demands employees have documented education.

Used to be a C average was all a person needed to get into college, and this is no longer true. A person with a C average could get a degree and this is no longer true. Many jobs are closed to people who do not have college degrees and things were not always like this. I am not sure we are going in the right direction, but for sure given today's reality, parents can not be passive if their children are not getting the education they need, and not all the blame should be put on the child.

http://education-por...r_Children.html

Unsettling Education Statistics

• Students are not faring well on national assessments. The most recent NAEP assessments indicate that less than one third of U.S. fourth graders are proficient in reading, mathematics, science, and American History.
  • More than half of low income students cannot even demonstrate basic knowledge of science, reading, and history.
  • U.S. eighth graders ranked 19th out of 38 countries on mathematic assessments and 18th in science.
  • U.S. twelfth graders ranked 18th out of 21 countries in combined mathematics and science assessments.

Source: The Heritage Foundation

Edited by me-wonders

i think it is kid's fault, if some students in a class, fail while others pass, it isn't school's fault.

it seems to be common notion here, to blame everyone but the guilty one.

if your kid fails, it is his and your fault. as a parent.

school is like a plate of food. what, and how much you take is entirely up to you.

• Like 4

This issue is larger than blaming the child or blaming the school. A much higher percent of lower SES children grow up in broken homes, single-parent households, and without the support they need to succeed.

I'm curious, what jobs could you get in the past that didn't require a basic ability to read and write?

• Like 2

, and without the support they need to succeed.

more like with out even will to try.

why go to school, when you can rap, smoke pot, have all the money and girls. look at rap videos on internet, those are their heros thses days.

those kids that want to learn will do so, regardless of suroundings.

i've seen it happen, seen rich kids waste their lifes, and seen poor kids, living in projects become honor students, while kid living next door ends up stoned everyday, and not care about tomorow.

Edited by aztek

A person with a C average could get a degree and this is no longer true.

Of course they can. They may not get into Yale, but they can certainly go to college and get a degree. That statement is just silly.

parents can not be passive if their children are not getting the education they need,

This I agree with. It is the parents' responsibility to raise and educate their child.

i think it is kid's fault, if some students in a class, fail while others pass, it isn't school's fault.

it seems to be common notion here, to blame everyone but the guilty one.

if your kid fails, it is his and your fault. as a parent.

school is like a plate of food. what, and how much you take is entirely up to you.

people are going to fail and succeed at different things the least they could do is do a better job helping the ones that dont get it as easy as the others, that was always and still is my problem with school.

more like with out even will to try.

why go to school, when you can rap, smoke pot, have all the money and girls. look at rap videos on internet, those are their heros thses days.

those kids that want to learn will do so, regardless of suroundings.

i've seen it happen, seen rich kids waste their lifes, and seen poor kids, living in projects become honor students, while kid living next door ends up stoned everyday, and not care about tomorow.

I don't rely on anecdotes as evidence because they are by their very nature limited in scope (among other things). Look at the statistics. See page 20 of the document below.

http://nces.ed.gov/p...012/2012006.pdf

FWIW, I used to work with elementary school students, aged 5-6, from poorer neighborhoods. Just starting out in school, many of them had severe behavioral problems and, from what I'd heard, came from troubling family circumstances. Rich and poor kids may succeed or fail by choice, but it's hard to imagine how family and environment aren't instrumental in influencing one's potential to succeed in life.

Edited by Cybele
  • Like 1

There's more to it than the kid being lazy. There are some that just don't have the IQ to retain what is needed to make good grades. Then there are others life at home is stressful and may have sleeping difficulties which often comes alone with a bad home life and that can also determine a child's grades.

• Like 1

I've had teachers too that were just really bad teachers.

• Like 1

In my opinion, shut down The Department of Education.

If you let the states handle their own educational problems it will be neater.

On top of that, I don't want a federally mandated bureaucracy telling my future kids what is "right" and what is "wrong."

Leave the Feds out of education...

http://www.whitehous...ence-african-am

We can see that when the Feds meddle in education, they create separate rules and criteria for people.

And that's not what a self-governing, self-reliant society should be about..

Edited by Drayno
  • Like 2

I was under the impression that schools stopped educating kids properly a long time ago. A lot of the stuff they do is just "busy.work" IMHO. School certainly has its place in the life of a child but in no way will insure the success of a child. The whole system needs a reboot

http://www.ted.com/t...creativity.html

This talk speaks to the overall problem in schools

http://www.ted.com/t...m_makeover.html

Speaks to math education in the US. Very interesting with some good points to consider.

Edited by jugoso
  • Like 1

I think the emphasis should be on making sure that kids learn to read and write well .. and do various maths, i guess , but certainly general math. (without a calculator).

Then, if a kid wants to learn , they can.