Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Unusual 1st Names

spud the mackem

Braunwyn (more commonly Bronwyn) is Welsh and is definitely feminine - It means 'White breasted' Although, having said that - in the Welsh language, the suffix wyn usually indicates the masculine. The feminine ending should be wen. (But that's only for geeks like me these days!)

thanks for the info!

i'm almost positive that she spells her name the way i have here. i think the suffix wyn is what made me feel it was masculine too.

i don't know if this is relevant but she is a lesbian...irony?

thanks for the info!

i'm almost positive that she spells her name the way i have here. i think the suffix wyn is what made me feel it was masculine too.

i don't know if this is relevant but she is a lesbian...irony?

I think you'll find the wyn version is the most used these days. I suppose people think it gives the name a more 'Celtic' feel to it.

Ealdwita snippet alert........

"Braunwen is the Welsh goddess of Love and Beauty. Her name has been translated as 'white-breasted', 'fair-breasted', or 'white raven', and ravens and starlings are her animals. The Alder tree belongs to her. She was regarded as a moon goddess, as well as the Daughter of the Sea. Since her attributes are similar to those of the Roman goddess, Venus, she was known as the Venus of the North Sea. She is known as "the giver of bracelets." Worshipped throughout Celtic lands, including Manx, Branwen is the keeper of the magickal Cauldron of Plenty, and she governs regeneration, growth, and healing. She is honored during each waxing moon as the Maiden, and the full moon in June is Branwen's moon. She is one of the the five goddesses of Avalon -- called by some the Lady of the Lake herself -- and along with Rhiannon and Cerridwen, is one of the three mother goddesses of Britain. Like many Celtic goddesses, she was once a real person, a princess of the house of Llyr who was wed to the High King of Ireland. An insult at her wedding feast brought war between Ireland and Wales. Her brother, Bran the Blessed, was killed during the war to rescue her from oppression at the Irish court, and when she later returned to Wales, she died of a broken heart."

(From my files)

• Like 2

I think you'll find the wyn version is the most used these days. I suppose people think it gives the name a more 'Celtic' feel to it.

"Braunwen is the Welsh goddess of Love and Beauty. Her name has been translated as 'white-breasted', 'fair-breasted', or 'white raven', and ravens and starlings are her animals. The Alder tree belongs to her. She was regarded as a moon goddess, as well as the Daughter of the Sea. Since her attributes are similar to those of the Roman goddess, Venus, she was known as the Venus of the North Sea. She is known as "the giver of bracelets." Worshipped throughout Celtic lands, including Manx, Branwen is the keeper of the magickal Cauldron of Plenty, and she governs regeneration, growth, and healing. She is honored during each waxing moon as the Maiden, and the full moon in June is Branwen's moon. She is one of the the five goddesses of Avalon -- called by some the Lady of the Lake herself -- and along with Rhiannon and Cerridwen, is one of the three mother goddesses of Britain. Like many Celtic goddesses, she was once a real person, a princess of the house of Llyr who was wed to the High King of Ireland. An insult at her wedding feast brought war between Ireland and Wales. Her brother, Bran the Blessed, was killed during the war to rescue her from oppression at the Irish court, and when she later returned to Wales, she died of a broken heart."

(From my files)

cool

i bet she already knew all this tho, knowing her lol

• Like 1

i knew a girl named Faiza - i thought that was a really pretty and unusual name.

i also know a woman named Braunwyn. i like that name, but it seems like a guy's name to me.

Braunwyn is a very old Welsh ,girls name the same as Mirfanwe, (Mirvanwi) and Morwenna is Cornish, Iaian(pronounced Yaiyan) is also Welsh, but a good one is Marmaduke, old English....yuk !, and a guy in the History books at the batlle of O'Roukes Drift (South Africa) was called Gonville Bromhead,he won a Victoria Cross,for Bravery,as a Lieutenant in the Welsh Guards.
  • Like 1

Well spud is rather odd ,as are Mitt and Tagg .lol

Cleopatra and Ghengis ,are both names of the time,and where they came from . I'd have to look up Cleopatra ,but ghengis is the Mongolian word for overlord I believe .

Hiya Simbi ? is that your real name, I love it, but Spud is a nickname given by Wurzels in Darkest Somerset England.They call you Spud if you arn't a "native" of the area,by the way a Wurzel is a Turnip or a Swede, as they call them here,which you probably know is a root vegetable. While Mackems are born in Durham, North East England. So they call us Spud and we call them Wurzel.
  • Like 1

Braunwyn is a very old Welsh ,girls name the same as Mirfanwe, (Mirvanwi) and Morwenna is Cornish, Iaian(pronounced Yaiyan) is also Welsh, but a good one is Marmaduke, old English....yuk !, and a guy in the History books at the batlle of O'Roukes Drift (South Africa) was called Gonville Bromhead,he won a Victoria Cross,for Bravery,as a Lieutenant in the Welsh Guards.

i really like the way those first names roll off the tongue. even marmaduke, (although i can't take that name seriously at all for obvious reasons lol)

but 'gonville'...hm, not so much

How about Siobhan (pronounced Shivone) a good old Irish girls name.

She's a big lass,and a bonny lass

and she likes her beer,

and her name is Cushy Butterfield

and I wish she was here

Well there is a baby named Facebook ,and I remember reading about a baby named after a drug ,but I forget which one .It was soething like c.ialis ,or nex.ium .

I saw the name Arcangela on a tombstone recently .

I think they put fake names on tombstones sometimes - like they are place holders or something. When I went to my uncles funeral I was looking around and a whole line of tombstones had names like: 'Imma B. Sleepin' - I'm sad I can't think of any more examples right now, but there was a whole row of them.

Not saying Arcangela wasn't a real tombstone though. Just saying my experience. Seemed so fake.

I think they put fake names on tombstones sometimes - like they are place holders or something. When I went to my uncles funeral I was looking around and a whole line of tombstones had names like: 'Imma B. Sleepin' - I'm sad I can't think of any more examples right now, but there was a whole row of them.

Not saying Arcangela wasn't a real tombstone though. Just saying my experience. Seemed so fake.

Oh I think it was real.

Angela is Latin version of Angel I believe . Very Italian families,all have an Angela . So Arcangela is literally Arc angel .

The last name was very Italian,and she was born in the early 1900s. Like 1918 .

We don't put fake names here very much .

Hiya Simbi ? is that your real name, I love it, but Spud is a nickname given by Wurzels in Darkest Somerset England.They call you Spud if you arn't a "native" of the area,by the way a Wurzel is a Turnip or a Swede, as they call them here,which you probably know is a root vegetable. While Mackems are born in Durham, North East England. So they call us Spud and we call them Wurzel.

Oh no .My name is nothing like Simbi . I actually named one of my cats Simbi though .

Simbi is a type of voodoo god . They are depicted as snakes. There are something like 21 different simbi ,the most famous being simbi D'Lo. Or simbi of the water .

Marie Laveau ,literally means Marie of the water .

She was the famous new Orleans voodoo queen .

I will post a link about her,but in the link ,it says her snake was named Zombi ,and that's incorrect .He was named Simbi ,and he even came to her when she called him .

http://www.mysticvoodoo.com/simbi.htm

Here is a simbi honorific .Like a simbi statue .

This is more detailed,but complicated if you do not understand voodoo .

http://www.sosyetedumarche.com/html/simbi.html

Marie Laveau

http://bewitchingnames.blogspot.com/2011/02/laveau.html

http://www.voodooonthebayou.net/marie_laveau.html

Edited by Simbi Laveau

Oh no .My name is nothing like Simbi . I actually named one of my cats Simbi though .

Simbi is a type of voodoo god . They are depicted as snakes. There are something like 21 different simbi ,the most famous being simbi D'Lo. Or simbi of the water .

Marie Laveau ,literally means Marie of the water .

She was the famous new Orleans voodoo queen .

I will post a link about her,but in the link ,it says her snake was named Zombi ,and that's incorrect .He was named Simbi ,and he even came to her when she called him .

http://www.mysticvoodoo.com/simbi.htm

Here is a simbi honorific .Like a simbi statue .

This is more detailed,but complicated if you do not understand voodoo .

http://www.sosyetedu...html/simbi.html

Marie Laveau

http://bewitchingnam.../02/laveau.html

http://www.voodooont...rie_laveau.html

Hiya, Tks 4 the info,these snake images look just like draught excluders what you place at the bottom of a door in the winter,no I'm not being funny but my Grandma used to make them.I never really understood Voodoo (pretty scary) but I thought these people hopped around in a circle waving bits of chicken bone and mumbling to themselves, and it RAINED,like African witchdoctors are supposed to do.I saw this guy outside a bar in Baton Rouge a few years ago,having a little chant to himself,so feeling sorry for him I gave him a couple of Dollars,and thought nothing of it,then went into the bar, I had a go on the slot machine and won $50.00.do you think that was his way of saying thanks ?.or is it my imagination,very creepy if it was.I guess I wouldnt mess with these guys.Regards
  • Like 1

(From my files)

Would Rhian be a shortened version of your mentioned "Rhiannon" do you think? The only meaning I could seem to find when looking up Rhian was "Maiden".

Would Rhian be a shortened version of your mentioned "Rhiannon" do you think? The only meaning I could seem to find when looking up Rhian was "Maiden".

I've not heard of any connection between Rhian and Rhiannon, sarah. There are many versions of that type of name, for boys as well as girls, and if there is some connection - I don't know of it. Sorry.

I've not heard of any connection between Rhian and Rhiannon, sarah. There are many versions of that type of name, for boys as well as girls, and if there is some connection - I don't know of it. Sorry.

No problem, was just my curiosity. :)

I think mothers should try to avoid naming their daughters Candy, Nikki, Krystale or any other name they wouldn't have to change if they were on stage lol

Bleh, why do I think I know exactly what you mean? All of my nephews and nieces have somewhat uncommon names, or at least I don't feel like I hear any of them around much. My oldest nephew in particular's name is Jozziel, but we just call him Jozzi (too young to work yet, but very bright). I know the name I always sign on school/work documents is different than the one on my birth certificate; both are correct but 3 names (first middle and last) is easier on the hand cramps than 5. I do management/supervisory for a department in an educational office, and I'm studying to teach abroad and plan on getting my professorship later on. In the defense of your 'average joe' names, I have some relatives (deceased by now) who were very commonly named, but one designed part of the moon rover, and another helped design the first submarine. My step-mother taught math at a university in Berlin for years and I have an uncle who's a physics professor, and again, both typically named.

Most of the names you listed were once pretty common names a long time ago.

Anyone can be famous. Your name means nothing. How else could you explain all the historical Georges?

If you call a child by an unusual or rare 1st name,does it have a chance of becoming a great Statesman or Military leader.

A few examples are :-

Ghengis......Atilla.....Napoleon.....Horatio...Boadicea...Cleopatra...Lyndon....Dwight...Winston...Barak...Clark(No thats Superman)......!

Or will they make it to the top if they are named, Bill, Joe , or Fred ?....

This is just light entertainment as I have nothing better to do,at the moment.

Does anyone know of an unusually named friend and what their occupation is ?.

Most of those names were fairly common at the time/place of those leader's successes though. None of them are particularly unusual.

That said, there are plenty of anecdotes around about people with names surprisingly suited to their jobs.