Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Schools to reintroduce handwriting lessons

Still Waters

The skill of writing a letter is to be reintroduced in secondary schools by the Government to stop pupils texting too much.

A draft copy of the new secondary curriculum for English emphasises the importance of writing.

Government ministers want to ensure that pupils can write business and personal letters by hand despite an increasing reliance on texting.

http://www.telegraph...ry-schools.html

Thank gosh. They need to do that here in the States. Kids handwriting is absolutely atrocious. Heck, many adults my age are awful at it too, and cursive? Don't even try, some people don't even know what it is.

At Key Stage Four (ages 14-16) students must be able to 'increase the range of their writing' and use 'accurate spelling, punctuation and grammar.

Ey tink itz dissgayful thet chldran due knot how 2 smell oar uz propa puncture and grandma.

Sorry I had too. :)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Well if kids aged 14-16 need to learn accurate spelling, punctuation and grammar then fine, although I think I had mine more or less mastered by that age. Then again, everything I did as a kid was brilliant.

Although I can never figure out when to use 'who' and when to use 'whom'.

'There', 'they're', 'their'; I have no problems with these. Easy, don't waste my time.

EDIT: Grammar :lol:

Edited by Walter White
  • Like 2

What about all the thousands and thousands of pounds spent on the computers and ipads the schools have for the kids to play on and do their work on?

have the government had another u-turn on that ridiculous idea?

our government have as many u-turn as there are u-bends, and they both serve similar purposes, one gets rid of s^^t, the other just is s^^t!!!

What about all the thousands and thousands of pounds spent on the computers and ipads the schools have for the kids to play on and do their work on?

have the government had another u-turn on that ridiculous idea?

our government have as many u-turn as there are u-bends, and they both serve similar purposes, one gets rid of s^^t, the other just is s^^t!!!

You didn't listen.

You didn't listen.

i am hearing they want to bring back handwriting and not computer generated writing...texts is just one form. Most schools now have computers and ipads, writing by hand with a pen is not nessasary, but hopefully someone realises that it is.

my real point is somewhat off the subject, I am more annoyed that handwriting was substituted in the first place with technology to school children.

In schools, computers should not have been used to replace the education of writing skills.

Most children have phones or computers at home, they already know how to use it, many better than the adults.

You would not show someone the inside working of a car before teaching them how to open the door.

• Like 1