Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Long Term Haunting Experience

billthunder

I posted this in another forum, but, being new to the website, I realized that it was far more suitable here!

Growing up, I think everyone has a boogie man in their closet. I did too, but, being a weird kid like I was, I imagined it was a tall, dark, figure that I thought was Death itself. There was always a fear of this thing, especially in the garage and the right side of the house. But, I was a kid, of course I saw monsters.

The problem is, it stayed with me. I felt silly as I grew up, even at 8 or 9 I was embarrassed that I was still afraid of my childhood 'boogeyman'. But, it was still there. In certain areas of the house, I was still terrified to walk in the dark. It was one of those houses with a thousand light switches, luckily, and my parents would make fun of me, saying that you could follow me by the trail of lights that I left on. But, still, I was young and I had always been nervous and jittery.

The real issue started when I hit 16 and started driving. Then 17 and 18 when I was still living at home and going to college. The fear was still there. Now, it wasn't just a blind fear, luckily. There were times when I wasn't afraid, but there was one time that, without fail, it was always there.

Driving home at night, it didn't matter what day it was or what kind of a mental state I was in, it was always somewhere when I pulled into the garage to park my car. Even on great, wonderful days when I had just come from my "amazing" boyfriend's dorm room after a day of my favorite classes, I would always get the fear.

There were days when I would see it as far away as a few houses down, by the road. And other days, the really bad days, it would be in the backseat of my car.

I haven't had any problems with it since I've moved out of my parent's home. I don't know much about the history of the home, all I know is that the people who built it had to leave it partially unfinished for what the realtor cited as "financial issues". It was a strange house, half the home was furnished with marble counter tops and $300 ceiling fans, while the other half was made of cheap, white plastic and didn't even have mirrors hanging above the sink in the bathroom.

Does anyone know what might have caused this?

as i replied to the earlier one, you need more willpower, letting your fears get the best of you is like giving in to a lie that you didn't even do. Watch it, observe it, walk towards it when you see it,

that would be the first step, and next up, explain us how the boogeyman looks like

good luck

• Like 2

Thank you, I'll be up there cleaning alone in the next week. I'll try to approach it then.

And it looks like a tall, dark, featureless... thing. It has a pointed head and is shaped a bit like a very tall man, but that could be my mind trying to make sense of it all.

Edited by billthunder

You might try taking pictures of the areas that bothered you the most or set up a recorder just to see if you can get something. Even if something hasn't happened in the house it could of on the property.

People have had things happen they couldn't remember or have problems they couldn't understand and was hypnotized to help them remember things they had buried.

From what I understand it was something within the house which caused the fear... but now as an adult, the fear is not the house, it is the memory.

Certain things today may jog the memory, we all experience that sometimes, although not nessasarily as deep.

Seeing it in the back of your car may be your eyes seeing something familiar to the image you created of your boogeyman and now your brain has brought it forward.

Address your past fear, recall it out loud and face it full force, only then can you understand it and make it go away.

• 3 weeks later...

I have a question...

Are there any large appliances in these areas of the house you feel uncomfortable in? Maybe a fuse box, AC unit, television, kitchen appliances, or areas of multiple wires in these places?

If so there is a chance you may be sensitive to EMF (Electro-Magnetic Fields). They have been reported to making people feel paranoid, make them sick, scared, and even hallucinate. Your vehicle also generates electricity to run your AC, heater, radio, lights, etc. and they are getting more electronic with every new model.

There are EMF detectors and things you can purchase online that can tell you if there is a high reading in these places. I realized why certain areas of my own home tend to bother me. I have to walk by the fridge, stove, microwave, washer, dryer, and the fuse box to get to my parents bedroom and that corner of the house always gives me the creeps. Also walking towards my bedroom I have to walk between the furnace and the central AC unit outside the wall and I get the same creep factor.

If you've exhausted all of these possibilities then you may have something paranormal on your hands. Please know that I am not trying to belittle what you believe you see, but since you mentioned certain areas of the house and other places that have electrical currents it's a possibility. I believe there are other entities in this world besides the black and white ghosts, demons, and angels. Things like elemental entities come in all shapes, sizes, and colors. If the entity that has followed you around this long hasn't tried to harm you after all this time, you could consider the possibility of it either finding you entertaining or possibly protecting you. It's not unheard of to have a spiritual guardian.

Hope this helps!

I have a question...

Are there any large appliances in these areas of the house you feel uncomfortable in? Maybe a fuse box, AC unit, television, kitchen appliances, or areas of multiple wires in these places?

If so there is a chance you may be sensitive to EMF (Electro-Magnetic Fields). They have been reported to making people feel paranoid, make them sick, scared, and even hallucinate. Your vehicle also generates electricity to run your AC, heater, radio, lights, etc. and they are getting more electronic with every new model.

There are EMF detectors and things you can purchase online that can tell you if there is a high reading in these places. I realized why certain areas of my own home tend to bother me. I have to walk by the fridge, stove, microwave, washer, dryer, and the fuse box to get to my parents bedroom and that corner of the house always gives me the creeps. Also walking towards my bedroom I have to walk between the furnace and the central AC unit outside the wall and I get the same creep factor.

If you've exhausted all of these possibilities then you may have something paranormal on your hands. Please know that I am not trying to belittle what you believe you see, but since you mentioned certain areas of the house and other places that have electrical currents it's a possibility. I believe there are other entities in this world besides the black and white ghosts, demons, and angels. Things like elemental entities come in all shapes, sizes, and colors. If the entity that has followed you around this long hasn't tried to harm you after all this time, you could consider the possibility of it either finding you entertaining or possibly protecting you. It's not unheard of to have a spiritual guardian.

Hope this helps!

no, no,no,no,no......

Please read this link, and the links there.....Then, share the truth with people when you see posts like this one....

http://www.unexplained-mysteries.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=222978&hl=

The contrast between your boyfriend's dorm and your own house, is that the first time you noticed the difference, the fear? Being female may have made you more susceptible to lingering childhood sensitivities. Or some troubling event may have happened to you in early childhood there which caused you to have excessive repressed fear, but without any memory of anything having happened. Psychologists refer to this as "a blackout event". The emotion lingers on and causes problems for the individual while the source of how to expose those old wounds remains hidden. It sounds as if you may be suffering from this and your "tall dark [male?] figure" may be the personification of your fears.

It's not that I don't believe in ghosts. It's just that when I hear hoofbeats I try to think "horse" first before I start jumping to "zebra" conclusions..

• Like 1

I believe it would be best to establish the fact that it is in fact paranormal. This may possibly be just a fear of past experiences in the house, or even the house itself, psychologically manifested into this "boogeyman" type form.

I'm not trying to say that what you experienced wasn't real, I'm just saying that it's best to do everything you can to debunk these experiences until you're finally left with no other explanation of the paranormal. In fact, I believe a majority of the paranormal cases out there can be easily debunked as something else, it's just the tiny minority of others that's worth truly looking into.

If you can establish that there is in fact paranormal presence attached to the household, then you know that you can fight it. Even if it is gone from your life atm, it seems to still be at least to some extent haunting your psyche. I think that facing it head on and removing it from the household would bring great colsure to what's been disturbing you this whole time.

Also, if it for some reason turns out not to be paranormal, then you still have a way to bring closure by attempting to face these psychological issues that have haunted your childhood.

Again please realize I'm not saying that it is or it isn't paranormal, I'm just trying to cover all the bases sense there atm seems to be no evidence supporting either possibility.

I hope things turn out good for you. :)

I'd like to see a sketch of what the OP is seeing. Photographs of ghosts are hard things to come by even on a good day.

Edited by SSilhouette

Face your fear then. Its the only way & actually the easy one. even if there really is something in darkness Show it why we walk in the daylight & it covers in the dark :P We own the earth. remember that! :alien:

I'd like to see a sketch of what the OP is seeing. Photographs of ghosts are hard things to come by even on a good day.

Exactly. If you want ghosts to leave you alone, carry a camera and have a video camera anyplace they're tormenting you. As soon as you do that, you will never have another paranormal experience.

There may be some truth to that scowl. Since ghosts appear to be sentient and aware still for the most part, they may very well avoid cameras. It's not like they can't figure out that their image could be captured with one. They can see and possibly percieve our intentions long before we act.

There may be some truth to that scowl. Since ghosts appear to be sentient and aware still for the most part, they may very well avoid cameras.

Yeah, that's it. They avoid cameras.

Why would they choose to do that? If I were a ghost I'd be looking for cameras so people would know I existed.

There may be some truth to that scowl. Since ghosts appear to be sentient and aware still for the most part, they may very well avoid cameras. It's not like they can't figure out that their image could be captured with one. They can see and possibly percieve our intentions long before we act.

Same excuse Bigfoot fanatics say about Bigfoot...... :no:

Look, if a person can see these things, cameras can also. Ghost hunters is a freat example, how many episodes now over the years?......Not one ghost caught on camera, although many " personal " experiences just beyond the cameras frame......

People see them and cameras do not, because cameras do not have over active, over excited imaginations.

People see them and cameras do not, because cameras do not have over active, over excited imaginations.

In one Fact or Faked episode, people didn't see it but the camera did. Because the camera sucked. The wide lens caused a flare that looked vaguely like something moving.

We see lots of pictures that have some unrecognizable smear or blob. People are convinced it must be something paranormal.

In one Fact or Faked episode, people didn't see it but the camera did. Because the camera sucked. The wide lens caused a flare that looked vaguely like something moving.

We see lots of pictures that have some unrecognizable smear or blob. People are convinced it must be something paranormal.

I am talking the " did you see that ? ".....You know, the apparations everyone sees. The woman in the dress, the man in confederate cloths.

" I see her all the time"......Etc, etc.

It has been suggested numerous times that ghost hunters, and other shows ( all those paranormal investigators ) should wear a GoPro camera. One that is recording exactly where they are looking.