Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Mary Celeste aka Amazon

chala

Ok people - You've always been so helpful when I'm in need of a little help. Currently researching the Bermuda Triangle and, as much as it has nothing to do with the subject, Mary Celeste is included in the topic. I know the ins and outs of the Mary Celeste myth but, going back to before the brigantine was called Mary Celeste, I need to know about when it was called Amazon. While there's loads of info on the Mary Celeste I cannot for the life of me find out about the third and fourth captains of Amazon. I can't even find their names so I have hit a dead end. Does anyone have any idea where I might find more on this - ie the names of all of Amazon's captains?

Would be so grateful if anyone can help. Thanks for reading.

• Like 1

The Mary Celeste was a 282-gross ton brigantine. She was built by the shipbuilders of Joshua Dewis in 1861 as the ship Amazon at the village of Spencer's Island, Nova Scotia. She was the first of many large ships that were built in that small community. The Amazon was owned by a group of eight investors from Cumberland County and Kings County, Nova Scotia, led by the shipbuilder Joshua Dewis, and William Henry Bigalow, a local merchant.[2] The Amazon was registered at the nearby town of Parrsboro, Nova Scotia, the closest local port of registry.

The Amazon's first captain, Robert McLellan, son of one of the owners,[6] contracted pneumonia nine days after taking command, and he died at the very beginning of her maiden voyage. He was the first of three captains to die aboard her.[7] John Nutting Parker, the next captain of the Amazon, struck a fishing boat, and had to steer her back to the shipyard for repairs. At the shipyard, a fire broke out in the middle of the ship. Because of all these events, Parker lost command of the Amazon.[citation needed] Her first trans-Atlantic crossing was also disastrous for her next captain, after she collided with another vessel in the English Channel near Dover, England. This resulted in the dismissal of the new captain.

http://www.thefullwi...Celeste#Origins

I know it doesn't answer your query but it provides clues I hope will help you. :)

Edited by Eldorado
  • Like 1