Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

B.C. nurses fight mandatory flu-shots

glorybebe

B.C. nurses are seizing on the work of a UK-based health science organization that questions the scientific evidence for forcing health workers to get flu shots

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/story/2012/11/14/bc-nurses-flu-vaccine.html

When it comes to the flu shot, there is not enough research to guarantee 100% that it is safe. I don't blame these nurses. They are demanding the opposing nurses to put something in theire body that they don't want. Pretty scary IMO.

• Like 2

http://www.cbc.ca/ne...lu-vaccine.html

When it comes to the flu shot, there is not enough research to guarantee 100% that it is safe. I don't blame these nurses. They are demanding the opposing nurses to put something in theire body that they don't want. Pretty scary IMO.

A friend of mine has Flu shots every year and he still gets Flu,it just not, maybe as severe.

Edited by shaddow134

A friend of mine has Flu shots every year and he still gets Flu,it just not, maybe as severe.

I forgot to get mine last year-I wasn't sick near as often or severe as when I got the shots. Not getting them anymore, eventhough I have asthma.

• Like 1

Never had a flu shot despite having them available for free at work each year and so far, out of my working group I can comfortably say I have had the least severe flu symptons in winter, if it could called "flu" at all and not just a common "cold".

I would fight it too, it should be personal choice no one should have to blindly believe that something cooked up in a lab is well cooked if they choose not to.

Never had a flu shot despite having them available for free at work each year and so far, out of my working group I can comfortably say I have had the least severe flu symptons in winter, if it could called "flu" at all and not just a common "cold".

I would fight it too, it should be personal choice no one should have to blindly believe that something cooked up in a lab is well cooked if they choose not to.

It should be down to personal choice,some people can fight it better naturally,I consider my self blessed as i haven't suffered from flu since i was 21 and haven't had a cold in seven years.

This is the most irresponsible thing I have ever heard of in my life. I have only ever had the three flu shot series that are supposed to protect you for life that has not been approved yet because I never really get sick, but if I chose to work in the healthcare field it would be my responsiblity to do everything possible to protect the people I care for. I guess we should just let everyone do whatever they want no matter who it hurts because they are too selfish to do something harmless to protect others.

• Like 3

This is the most irresponsible thing I have ever heard of in my life. I have only ever had the three flu shot series that are supposed to protect you for life that has not been approved yet because I never really get sick, but if I chose to work in the healthcare field it would be my responsiblity to do everything possible to protect the people I care for. I guess we should just let everyone do whatever they want no matter who it hurts because they are too selfish to do something harmless to protect others.

I have to ask ,do they pay you to monitor these ? Lots of people fought the mandatory shots ,all in health care . Now why would health care workers ,who have a clue,feel the need to fight a forced vaccination ?

Ya gotta wonder .

http://kellythekitchenkop.com/2012/02/healthcare-workers-how-to-refuse-mandatory-vaccines-and-not-get-fired.html

Edited by Simbi Laveau
  • Like 1

The flu shots are not mandatory. Except in that it's, 'get a flu shot' or wear a mask during flu season.

The flu shots are not mandatory. Except in that it's, 'get a flu shot' or wear a mask during flu season.

They are in some health care facilities . In Japan ,school teachers have to get them too . They threatened to fire a lot of nyc nurses and doctors ,for refusing the h1n1 vaccine .They fought it,and won . Now ,the h1n1 vaccine,is incorporated into the seasonal flu vaccination .

So if you get the flu vac,you get the h1n1 vac too .

I was going to say the same thing. If someone in the healthcare field refuses a shot and transmits the flu to an ill patient who then dies, they should be legally culpable.

I cannot stand how ignorant some people are about vaccine science and how it works. It's just willful ignorance and it's so sad that these people going around spreading all this disinformation.

• Like 3

I have to ask ,do they pay you to monitor these ? Lots of people fought the mandatory shots ,all in health care . Now why would health care workers ,who have a clue,feel the need to fight a forced vaccination ?

Ya gotta wonder .

http://kellythekitch...-get-fired.html

Wow! Simbi, this is a new low for you. Who is paying you to constantly post this inane antivax crap?

Health care workers might have a better than average understanding, but it does not mean they are immune to all quackery. There was a L&D nurse in my area a couple of years ago who lost her twin boys because she was so terrified of a C-section she convinced herself that home birth was safe for a 36 week twin delivery when baby A was breech. You cannot tell me that a L&D nurse does not have a better understanding of the risks that such a birth would come with than the average person, but she was still susceptible to this nonsense and her boys paid for it with their lives. It only makes me wonder why knowing what they know they could convince themselves of something else entirely.

I was going to say the same thing. If someone in the healthcare field refuses a shot and transmits the flu to an ill patient who then dies, they should be legally culpable.

I cannot stand how ignorant some people are about vaccine science and how it works. It's just willful ignorance and it's so sad that these people going around spreading all this disinformation.

Did you even read that the shot is not guaranteed? 65% not 99.99%. Besides which, they are protection from past seasons flu strain, not the current one. I would wear the mask and be done with it. Also, in BC, the seniors get free flu shots, too

Agreed wear the mask or take the shot,it should be down to personal choice and freedom,All this balderdash about legal culpability is rubbish.

I agree that it is a personal choice. Getting a flu shot for healthcare workers is not just about protecting the employees, it's more about protecting the patients that have compramised immune systems. However, no one shoud be forced to take a vaccine. I'm a nurse in MN and we are not required to have he flu shot but we have to fill out a form stating why we are not getting the shot. I personally do not get the flu shot because I have a reaction to it. I do give it t my kids to protect them because they are both under the age of 2 and the flu can be very devastating to child that young. The military also requires fu shots. My husband is in the military and he does not get a choice on whether or not he wants a vaccine.

I had my flu shot a couple weeks ago. While it was mandatory to attend the clinic, you could either take the shot or sign off. The long term goal is to have all healthcare workers immunized each year. It is done to protect the patients, however, I've seen the flu still have a pretty strong run. Most of the residents in long term care are also immunized but it doesn't always stop the flu's progress. My arm got pretty stiff for a while this year, but I've never gotten sick from the shot.

From my perspective,if the Flu Virus mutates every year then how does having a Flu Shot help?

As i have already said i have a friend who has a shot every year and they still get Flu.

And do the people who come to visit said patients, are they forced into the same choice... :yes:

Apparently one bright doctor (or so I have heard and hope its not true) came up with the idea that people who don't get the shot should have a sticker on their chest saying they refused to get a shot and are killing your children. :td:

Curious, not flaming:

Are the same who oppose the flu vaccine also opposed to childhood vaccines or are they at least advocates of parental choice?

And if opposed to the flu vaccine, but not advocates of parental choice for infants and children, do they keep up with childhood vaccines recommended for adults, such as MMR and Hep B and dtap etc, that they may have no immunity against as adults?

Edited by QuiteContrary

who oppose the flu vaccine also opposed to childhood vaccines

Nope - i am not opposed to getting the vaccines for more serious sicknesses (and yes, i know, the flu can sometimes be fatal, but when compared to more serious diseases...). What I am opposed to is this "if you don't get vaccinated, you are a baby killer, etc, etc propaganda campaign that's been spewed out recently - especially when everyone I know who has gotten vaccinated has been sick/under the weather for weeks and sometimes months after getting the shots. Yet the people I know who don't get the shots are all illness free (and yes I know that the shots only cover two or three strains of the flu). So I will and will continue to take my chances, thank you very much.

But, when it comes right down to it... there is a serious conflict of interest with the drug companies when it comes down to shots (and pills, etc). Why would they want you not to get sick? They make a lot more money when everyone is constantly getting sick...but I digress... :whistle:

Edited by Bavarian Raven

From my perspective,if the Flu Virus mutates every year then how does having a Flu Shot help?

As i have already said i have a friend who has a shot every year and they still get Flu.

Exactly! That is a huge argument that I have. So, you are safe from last season's flu, but this next season is a crap shoot.