Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Theory "Irrational" Fear of Clowns

dragon15066

I have a theory as to why some people have a great fear of clowns. I remembered that abductees speak of a screen image, not to be confused with screen memory, which is the replacement of the real memories of the abduction with a false memory. The screen image is used so that the abductors can be calmer and not have a fit because they are presented with an image other than their real appearance. Remember in “tThe Day the Earth Stood Still” the alien was asked what he really looks like and his response was “no, it would only frighten you”. I believe very strongly that in the early years of abduction, such as 2-7 years old, they use the screen image of a clown because kids love clowns. In time however, the child begins to recognize the fact that every time they see this “clown”, horrible things happen to them. This leads to a phobia that people think as irrational, but in fact, they have every reason to fear the image of the clown. It is a phobia that many people have and do not see any rational explanation, it is a fear they just cannot place.

but what about non abductees? a lot of them hate clowns to, i was never scared of clowns when i was younger ( i had other irrational fears) but couldn't it just be that clowns look weird? and that either makes a kid laugh or freaks him out?

• Like 1

One of my friends is terrified of clowns . She has no issues with aliens UFOs of even an interest. I think abductees have some intrinsic affinity for all of it,even if they don't know why .

my 14 year old is terrified of clowns...only becasue she got trapped in a haunted house by one with a chainsaw about a month ago...now she has nightmares and freaks out over just a picture of one :(

I have a memory from when I was very young of being terrified of a clown at some type of indoor festival or fair. I just remember my dad taking me there and I was so happy, but then this clown appeared and smiled at me, and I got so scared, and my dad was saying it's alright.

I always figured it was because I was very young and just starting to get the hang of how humans looked and acted. Then all of a sudden this freak of nature showed up and it rocked my little world. I had never seen something like this in real life before, and didn't know how to react, so I hid behind my dad. I of course later learned that it was just a "clown". I have no fear of clowns today, but still get a bit uneasy at the sight of one in real life, probably tied to that early experience burned into my then fast learning and growing mind.

Maybe aliens also drive around in vans giving out free candy?

• Like 2

I agree with _Only that clowns are weird looking and therefore scary. Then they get in your face and try to be funny. It's downright creepy.

I really don't think a fear of clowns is all that irrational. These (usually) men are hiding their identities, not speaking, tripping each other up and squirting water at the audience. Take them out of the circus tent and they are definately 'cross the street, avoid eye contact' types that I'd steer my kids away from.

Added to that, you guys in the US have that religious group with clown people. I saw a doco on it here about a year ago. :cry:

great-horned-owl.jpg

Go+to+bed_fa120d_3320947.jpg

I think the Poltergeist clown and John Wayne Gacy, and his Pogo The Clown, has some of the responsibility in the clown-fear, along with Pennywise.

john-wayne-gacy.jpg

poltergeistclown.jpg

pennywise-clown-it_42170426.jpg

I'm pretty indifferent to clowns. They're weird and I'm not particularly fond of them, but I don't have a fear of them. I think a lot of their exaggerations is what could scare some kids/adults. They're usually overly happy and overly sad, have crazy bozo hair dos, and huge feet. Plus not knowing who's behind all the makeup can be intimidating I guess.

By the way my kids aren't fans of them either. I remember when my son was 3 taking him to get his face painted somewhere and he wanted no part of it once he saw that a clown was doing it. He's 6 now and still remembers it, but at the same age he was obsessed with The Joker from Batman. Go figure.

Edit/ I just asked my daughter (who I'm pretty sure hasn't seen a clown in real life yet before) What she thinks of clowns. Her immediate response was; "Scary". Aparantly she doesn't like their red hair and noses. But if it had pink hair she would like it. *shrug*

Edited by sarah_444

Coulrophobia is one of the 10 most common phobias. No definitive cause has yet been found.

M0FRb.jpg

LOL What are you trying to say with this picture?

I dont have a fear of clowns and I never really have Iv been to the circus to back when I was younger, when I saw my first clown I thought hmmmm now thats different.

Clowns are ok in my book :tu:

They're basically monsters to kids, or at least were to me. A warping of a normal human into something not what I knew.

I'm guessing the haunting owl eyes are.a reference to a type of screen memory (as was described by Whitley Striber, author of: "Communion").

The OP's idea is interesting, who knows?

I wonder how far back the idea can be traced.

I never had a fear of clowns, but I get how it could be seen as creepy.

Kind of comparable to the whole 'uncanny valley' situation.

A painted face becomes open to interpretation.

I wonder why there arent more clowns in movies

I know a girl that is TERRIFIED of balloons. She was raped by a guy dressed as a clown.

I thought she was joking about the balloons until I saw her reaction around one. Complete and utter panic.

Ronald McDonald is one of the few clown icons that doesn't have huge exaggerated eyes. Maybe that's why kids can relate to him. He's a bit more 'human' than most clown types. Your theory sounds valid.

My theory is that politicians have ruined clowning's reputation. :innocent: