Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Starbucks buying Teavana

Simbi Laveau

http://consumerist.com/2012/11/15/starbucks-to-buy-teavana-for-620-million-declines-800-million-tea-tin-upsell/

I am an avid tea drinker,and I avoid Starbucks at all costs . I keep hearing they are closing location . I'm guessing this is an effort to boost sales .

Problem is they will sugar syrup ,and caramel infuse and whipped cream top ,good decent tea .

UGH !

We buy loose teas from teavana . I hope they at least keep the same stock and do internet orders .

I'm so depressed now .....

Starbuck desecrating teas....kill me .

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Simbi Laveau

• Keel M.

• MissMelsWell

• BiffSplitkins

Typically speaking, they won't. They didn't change Tazo much at all. They encouraged Tazo to come up with new flavors, and kept the old ones too. Generally, when Starbucks buys a tea company this way, the factory keep operating as they always would have with more cash at their disposal.

For all that people love to hate on Starbucks, they treat their employees well, offer great benefits, average pay (managers do very well), and offer flexible hours. Their coffee products aren't as good now as they were 25 years ago, but that's simply due to the volume of product they sell worldwide, but if you ask me, it's still an excellent and consistent product. With Howard Schultz back at the helm now, they're actually improving a great deal as well (there's been a dramatic change for the better in their customer service in the last 2 years).

I thought TAZO was Starbucks own brand . And Teavana is loose teas .Not bags. The article says "we are now going to for tea,what we did for coffee."

That means adding syrups and caramels and chocolates and whipped cream .

*shudders*

We shall see ......

Tazo was purchased by Starbucks. Tazo was originally a Portland Oregon company -- It retains its name, its factory, and even its original packaging from before they were purchased by Starbucks.

When they say they're giong to do for tea what they did for coffee, that means they'll develop some bar drinks with it (just like they have with Tazo) and they'll expand the market a great deal. For all that Starbucks offers all those BAR drinks with syrups etc... none of their whole bean coffees are actually flavored. Gross.

What you might see happen is the new tea will be bagged for sale in Starbucks, but you'll still find teh loose leaf at other retail oulets, just like you can with Tazo.

Edited by MissMelsWell

Teavana is too bloody expensive anyway, so who cares who owns them?

That's why I just stand in the front of the store and drink all the free samples. :D

I actually like the store and often buy gifts for people from there. I hope they don't change too much if at all.

Teavana is too bloody expensive anyway, so who cares who owns them?

She says ,as I sit here thinking about buying silver tipped first flush white tea,that's 173$ a pound .

It's tea...if its good tea,money is no object ....if I have it anyway .

I'd rather get more good tea for my money then the crap they sell.

I wasn't looking at teavana.

I have teas from all over the world .

Red,white,green,black .

I also brew kombucha ,so I need good caffeinated teas .

I don't drink coffee at all . I'm most fond of good black teas.

Fruit teas are iced summer fare only .

I love nilgiri tea best . I will pay a lot for it ,if its good.

Mmmmm....

Well, Simbi, if you have money to throw away on tea whenever you want, more power to you.