Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Dust devils buzz Curiosity rover on Mars

Saru

Data collected by the rover's meteorological instruments indicates significant dust devil activity.

Curiosity has spent several weeks now parked at a sand dune dubbed "Rocknest", where it has been testing procedures for digging up soil samples and delivering them to the robot's big internal laboratories.

arrow3.gifRead more...

The article doen't indicate how strong these dust devils are, but I sure hope that one doesn't damage Curiousity.

• Like 1

Dust won't do the solar panels any good. They should have built in a way of cleaning the dust off them. I'm presuming they didn't.

Dust won't do the solar panels any good. They should have built in a way of cleaning the dust off them. I'm presuming they didn't.

That isn't a problem on Curiosity because it doesn't use solar panels, it uses a thermoelectric radioisotope generator thet utilizes the heat from decaying plutonium to charge a battery through thermocouples. This sysetm provides a steady amount of power regardless of environmental conditions and also warms vital instruments throughout the rover.

• Like 1

The article doen't indicate how strong these dust devils are, but I sure hope that one doesn't damage Curiousity.

i remember reading that these dust devils are really weak, if you experienced one it would be like someone blowing on you. so not even a light breeze.

• Like 1

i remember reading that these dust devils are really weak, if you experienced one it would be like someone blowing on you. so not even a light breeze.

OK. Good to know. Thanks.