Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

No more twinkies, hohos and scooter pies?

questionmark

While Twinkies have a reputation for an unlimited shelf life, the company that makes the junk food does not.

Hostess Brands, the bankrupt maker of cream-filled pastries like Twinkies and Ho Hos, said on Friday that it planned to wind down its operations and sell off its portfolio of well-known brands. The decision comes a week after one of the company’s biggest unions went on strike to protest a labor contract.

Friday’s decision spells the end of Hostess, an 82-year-old company that has endured wars, countless diet fads and even an earlier Chapter 11 filing. As the national appetite for the junk food waned, the baked-goods maker fell on hard times.

Read more

Now, the question is: are we supposed to be happy because this could improve the popular health or sad 'cause we will be missing some junk-food?

Twinkies and cockroaches, that is what will survive the nuclear holocaust.

It got so much goddamn preservatives that it will last longer than rocks.

• Like 1

Another company closing down because of union stubbornness ?

Doubtful, the demand for junk food is on the decline, even without unions Hostess was doomed. It may have taken a year longer.

If the Unions would have agreed to a pay cut all that would have happened is that the former employees get less unemployment pay in a year.

I remember when twinkies were actually good, a nice, dry, lite angelfood cake and a actual creamy filling.

Now they're sticky and gunky, filled with something that is little more than sweetened wallpaper paste.

• Like 2

I find it kinda sad, Hostess has been around for a long time. I guess it goes to show Americans really are trying to eat less junk and take better care of themselves, although it's still sometimes hard to tell by looking around.

• Like 1

First they delay the McRib, now Hostess going out of business... geez, what will all the Peg Bundy's of the world do now... ;)

Seriously, I don't think it's because we're eating better, diabetes is still on the rise and as long as junk food stays in the foreground and cheap and produce stays in the back and rarely on sale, I don't see much changing. I agree with Rockabye as I remember seeing Hostess commercials a long time ago as a kid and to see them close up is just sad even if I haven't bought any sweets for a long time.

I'm sad. I liked their snacks. ):

I loved Twinkies, Ding Dongs and whole wheat wonder bread. I ate the bread far more than the sack cakes. We could see twinkes and the other products again if another company buys the rights to it.

I don't think it was all the Unions fault. I think both parties can share in the blame.

• Like 2

I heard a report on the radio on my way back from DC today that said they were going to sell off the rights to the "favorites". Sad to see them go...Hostess was a staple of my childhood. Maybe they will be bought by "Little Debbie". Funny...when I was a kid..."Little Debbie" was like the generic snack and now they are pretty mainstream. Does anyone else remember "Dolly Madison" snacks? I used to scarf those things when I was a kid but now?...I never see them.

I'm really going to miss Hostess...one of my fav's to this day is the little "lemon pies"...man I love those things! Sad...I know.

• Like 2

Doubtful, the demand for junk food is on the decline, even without unions Hostess was doomed. It may have taken a year longer.

If the Unions would have agreed to a pay cut all that would have happened is that the former employees get less unemployment pay in a year.

I'm not so sure about that. Not around here anyway. Someone else mentioned the Little Debbie brand snack cakes. I wonder what their earnings are ? That would be a fair comparison to the Hostess brand. That might give an indication of whether Hostess was in trouble due to junk food being on the decline ( which I just don't see ) or due to Union demands.

I can't blame business for just throwing up their hands and saying forget it. Not worth it.

Some employees would rather give up everything than give up anything.

• Like 2

in related news:

Twinkies Fetch $25 Per 10-Pack on EBay as Hostess Plans to Close

{snip}

Twinkies are also listed for sale on EBay Inc. (EBAY) A 10-pack is available for $24.99 and four 10-packs are listed for $99.99 on the online retailer’s website. Other Hostess products including Zingers, Coffee Cakes and Cup Cakes are for sale on EBay.com.

A 10-pack of Twinkies are listed for $3.29 on the Peapod website, a home delivery grocery seller owned by Royal Ahold NV.

Read more

Sorry to see this happen.I think their union leaders suck.Now is not the time for these workers to loose their jobs.Obiviously the union leaders care very little for the members.I still eat hostess cupcakes once in awhile. I like the snowballs, the cakes that look like little igloos,with the marshmallow and cocnut topping.

As far as Twinkees go, they aren't like the ones i ate as a kid back in the 1960s or early 70s.By the way, most things like cookies or cakes,momma made with a cake mix like Betty Crocker or Duncan Hines,and cookies were from scratch.we made this icebox cake from I think Pillsbury,which was Chocolate and lemon.It had a mix which you poured into a graham cracker crust,and poped in the freezer.Was quite good. Most such snacks we kids ate were home made,rather than commercial.

Seems like a win win to me. Americans might lose weight and another Union operation gets spanked..... score!

• Like 1

You can complain about company mismanagement which is fine but I kind of think that without union involvement the company would've been better off financially. You can complain about CEOs taking big paychecks but the union leaders are equally as guilty. As an employee I'd be upset with both but the unions are good at drumming up angst and misdirecting frustration. Now, nobody has a job or twinkles and I'm mad because I love jobs and twinkies!

Edited by -Mr_Fess-
  • Like 2

This reminded me of what this teacher did years ago - let a Twinkie age in his classroom.

http://www.npr.org/t...storyId=4780900

I heard of a couple that when they moved out of their house they disassembled a wall-mounted kitchen sofa and found a swiss-roll still in its wrapper behind it. They thought it most had dropped out of their grocery bag earlier that week. Well, when they had a closer look at it, still looking fresh and edible, they discover the date on it.

It was 5 years old. Talk about preservatives.

• Like 1

But what will we eat when the zombies take over?

Pink Coconut Snowballs.

Hostess the brand will be back. I hear Sara Lee already is in negotiations.

I'm never gonna hear the end of it... I told my friends that the first sign of the apocalypse is going to be the end of Twinkies. son of a....

• Like 2