Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

a quick question

Knight Of Shadows

umm my nightingale " bulbul " bird likes to drink , tea , coffee , coke ,, pretty much everything

is it really healthy for birds to drink something with caffeine in it ?

i mean normally i wouldn't give him any but he like shout loud for long periods of time if i didn't

like half an hour or more !

although i find it halirious but i wanna know it could be issue for the little thing's health ?

he's like part of family can't risk him :D

if this unfit for section feel free to move it else where please

My mom has had a lovebird for almost 10 years now. She babies it worse then she did with my brother and I. lol But yeah, caffeine is a big no no with birds I've learned. Maybe once in awhile won't cause harm, but I know it's been known to cause heart problems in birds. Chocolate is another no no.

One thing my mom's bird loves is popcorn. She sits in her own bowl of it and throws it around as she eats it. It's hilarious.

Give your bird some fruit juice instead maybe?

• Like 3

lovebirds are cute .. i had two which died recently but problem with them they're not as social as nightingale

theses little birds are really fun and very comfertable around humans plus they sing alittle :D

he eats all kinda of stuff popcorn . fruits , cooking , meat. basically anything !

thanks for reply .. i didn't know about the chocolate that was helpful .i used to feed him chocolate sometimes

I know a few other lovebird owners and you are right, they aren't always very social. I think they are even less social if they are kept in pairs, because they don't really feel like they need to be maybe.

My mom's lovebird has big personality. lol she's loud and doesn't really "Sing" - (just makes a lot of noise) but since she's almost always out of her cage she's very social. I can pet her head, she loves to have her "cheek" areas rubbed. She'll also snuggle up on my shoulder and rub her face along my cheek until she falls asleep sometimes.

Birds are smart and i didn't realize how affectionate they can be with people before.

• Like 1

me too .. i didn't know birds can be good pet untill i got this one :D

that lovebird of your sounds really adoreable !

• 3 weeks later...

KoS, don't give him things with caffiene... it's very toxic to him.

The other things you must avoid with him are

1. Cooking with teflon coated pans anywhere near him. Teflon fumes kill thousands of pet birds a year.

2. Pitted fruits (the flesh near the pit has enough cynide in it to kill them. Avacado is especially bad)

3. No apple seeds

4. Avoid sugar when possible

5. High fat diets can give them fatty liver disease, so be sure to keep fats low.

6. No dairy... it probaby won't kill him, but it's not good, birds can't really digest it.

Most other foods in wide variety are ok, as long as it's balanced. :)

• Like 1

Get a couple of birds of prey - they'll choose their own food!