Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Need help identifying small man like creature

karingal

Hi all! I'm new here and really need your help. I've been searching the web looking for answers and it lead me here. Am hoping maybe you'll be able to shed some light on this for me or rather us (my husband and I). This is not a hoax and was a genuinely scary experience at the time. A few years back when we were living on the Isle of Wight in the UK my husband (who incidentally is completely sane, 40 years old and practices numerous martial arts) came home after cycling home from work in a state of blind panic. He'd been coming home in the early evening (so it wasn't completely dark yet) along a cycle track that runs through the woods when from a distance of about 50 metres he'd seen something standing by the edge of the track. He says he first started to slow down but as he got closer he saw that the "person" was no higher than the wheel of his bike. As he went past he got a very good look at the person. He described them as definitely male with short hair, very dark skin, a overly wide set jaw, extremely broad shoulder, long arms and big hands. The "person" had looked up at him as he cycled past and my husband says it's eyes almost glowed from within (ie it was not the effect of moonlight like when a car drives past a cat or dog. Also my husbands bike did not have lights). He said that he was gripped by an extreme fear and something in his instincts told him not to stop, that he wouldn't stand a chance, even though the person was smaller than him and he was capable of fighting in a normal situation. He says he's never cycled so ast in his life and I remember what a state he was in when he got home. All this time I've been on and off trying to find out what it could have perhaps been that he saw that night but so far I've hit a dead end. I just wanted to ask....have you ever heard of anyone seeing anything similar? We've talked about this at length and been through all the opions of "could it have been a very small human/other forest animal/ trick of the light? but he's convinced that it was not human in the conventional sense of the word and also that it did not mean well. Do you have any explanation or is my husband a bit do-lally?

• Like 1

Hi all! I'm new here and really need your help. I've been searching the web looking for answers and it lead me here. Am hoping maybe you'll be able to shed some light on this for me or rather us (my husband and I). This is not a hoax and was a genuinely scary experience at the time. A few years back when we were living on the Isle of Wight in the UK my husband (who incidentally is completely sane, 40 years old and practices numerous martial arts) came home after cycling home from work in a state of blind panic. He'd been coming home in the early evening (so it wasn't completely dark yet) along a cycle track that runs through the woods when from a distance of about 50 metres he'd seen something standing by the edge of the track. He says he first started to slow down but as he got closer he saw that the "person" was no higher than the wheel of his bike. As he went past he got a very good look at the person. He described them as definitely male with short hair, very dark skin, a overly wide set jaw, extremely broad shoulder, long arms and big hands. The "person" had looked up at him as he cycled past and my husband says it's eyes almost glowed from within (ie it was not the effect of moonlight like when a car drives past a cat or dog. Also my husbands bike did not have lights). He said that he was gripped by an extreme fear and something in his instincts told him not to stop, that he wouldn't stand a chance, even though the person was smaller than him and he was capable of fighting in a normal situation. He says he's never cycled so ast in his life and I remember what a state he was in when he got home. All this time I've been on and off trying to find out what it could have perhaps been that he saw that night but so far I've hit a dead end. I just wanted to ask....have you ever heard of anyone seeing anything similar? We've talked about this at length and been through all the opions of "could it have been a very small human/other forest animal/ trick of the light? but he's convinced that it was not human in the conventional sense of the word and also that it did not mean well. Do you have any explanation or is my husband a bit do-lally?

A midget walking along the side of the road to a night-out with friends dressed up to look creepy?

A midget walking along the side of the road to a night-out with friends dressed up to look creepy?

Even midgets aren't that small :hmm:

• Like 1

Yeah we did try thinking logically about this and midgets were brought up but my husband said the same; that even midgets are not as small as what he saw. He said that something about it gave him the impression it was somehow not human, even though it's features, arms legs etc were human like. Again, he's otherwise a totally rational levelheaded person not inclined to flights of fancy and it was totally out of character for him to be so shook up. I've never seen him like it since and I really believe he saw something that night he wasn't supposed to. But what?

My first suggestion was also a small child but my husband got a really good look at it and he said the it was definitely an adult because of it's build and facial features etc. Also the location would rule out it being a child. the cycle path runs between one town and another and is pretty remote. It cuts through very thick woody forest area and (I like to hope anyway) no parent worth their salt would let their kids wander around down there. I think if it had even looked remotely like a child my husband would have stopped to help but the vibes he says he got in that split second were so malevolent that he just pedalled away as fast as he could without looking back. I don't think we'll ever know what it really was. Ive even looked into the history of the Isle of Wight hoping to find clues. I've heard or reports of inbreeding on the island hundreds of years ago. I've read apparently factual accounts of soldiers being sent to live on the island to"counteract" the inbreeding. I lived there for many years and it was a running joke that fathers day in the village of Wroxall was a nightmare:) There are also people who claim there's still a small village hidden somewhere on the island where this kind of stuff still goes on even today I did wonder if hundreds of years of this kind of behaviour could lead to some kind of genetic mutation which may lead to the thing my husband saw. I just don't know.......

Where was your husband cycling?

"Isle of Wight

The troll trail between Merstone and Shide is well surfaced, traffic free, and perfect for children who love magic and trolls. The trail has troll carvings and other types of art for them to take in all along the trail - and a good excuse for a break as you all get your breath back."

http://www.newforest-life.com/cycling_activities_New_Forest.html

• Like 2

May i first say, tell your husband its dangerous to cycle at night without lights, even if its not completely dark yet.

Secondly, your husband practices numerous martial arts, this would have been an ideal time to put them into practice if needed.

Thirdly, I do hope it was not some lost child!!!

• Like 2

lol:) Yes it would have been easy if he'd been cycling the "troll trail". That would have explained everything. Unfortunately this was the Cowes- Newport cycle track which is a very bog standard paved track running through woods and by a river, so no troll carvings. (In some places there's not even very much tarmac:)

lol:) Yes it would have been easy if he'd been cycling the "troll trail". That would have explained everything. Unfortunately this was the Cowes- Newport cycle track which is a very bog standard paved track running through woods and by a river, so no troll carvings. (In some places there's not even very much tarmac:)

even more reason for your husband to get lights on his bike. :whistle:

• Like 1

Where was your husband cycling?

"Isle of Wight

The troll trail between Merstone and Shide is well surfaced, traffic free, and perfect for children who love magic and trolls. The trail has troll carvings and other types of art for them to take in all along the trail - and a good excuse for a break as you all get your breath back."

http://www.newforest...New_Forest.html

Blimey! I thought you'd stumbled on the answer there but all the pics I can find are of big troll heads only ..... sunk into the ground. Heads are about 2' tall and 2' wide.

• Like 1

Blimey! I thought you'd stumbled on the answer there but all the pics I can find are of big troll heads only ..... sunk into the ground. Heads are about 2' tall and 2' wide.

Yeah, i saw that, i reackon likely Lad is one of their reps. :unsure2:

• Like 1

The most likely explanation to me would seem that due to the fact that your husband was on a moving bike, and the light was failing - he saw another more mundane woodland critter, but that since it was dark and approaching fast he couldn't immediately identify it and as a result his imagination got the better of him, intensifying what he actually saw into something more frightening and fantastic.

The truth is that since there is no photo or video to ponder, all of us are left to speculate on what it could be, which isn't going to take us down the road very far.

I think trolls, goblins, and the like are imaginary. So the possibility that your husband saw something like that is highly unlikely to me. Does he believe in paranormal things?

• Like 4

Hi Karingal.

If your husband was afraid to stop because of what he seen, my response is simply as human beings we have to act on instinct to survive sometimes.

With industrialisation and new technologies that have progressed humanity, ther is not much room for instinctive feeling when it comes to the paranormal or "other" world,

You and he will probably never find a reason for this creature or whatever it was, but do not let others tear down your instinctive emotions, go with them.

You could probably do some research into the area to try to find out what it was, but really the chances of your finding a rational explanation will probably never be found.

• Like 3

You did not mention what this little dude was wearing?

Surely, with the description given, your husband would have mentioned if it were naked, hairy, or what it was wearing......???

• Like 1

Some things will probably go unexplained.

I've not encountered, experienced, or witnessed anything that could be called unexplained personally, but there is always another time.

Here in Malaysia, there is a cryptid called Orang Pendek (Short People), that people have claimed to see. Supposedly some bipedal creature like an ape or something.

Or was that in Indonesia...? :huh:

Hi Karingal.

If your husband was afraid to stop because of what he seen, my response is simply as human beings we have to act on instinct to survive sometimes.

With industrialisation and new technologies that have progressed humanity, ther is not much room for instinctive feeling when it comes to the paranormal or "other" world,

You and he will probably never find a reason for this creature or whatever it was, but do not let others tear down your instinctive emotions, go with them.

You could probably do some research into the area to try to find out what it was, but really the chances of your finding a rational explanation will probably never be found.

"as human beings we have to act on instinct to survive sometimes." bit strong, he was not travelling through San Pedro Sula in Honduras with an anti drug banner on his back.

But agree, that a rational explanation will never be found, especially if he or anyone else. never witnesses again. :blink:

Edited by freetoroam
  • Like 1

Well he doesn't believe in ghosts or poltergeists or things like that and until this experience had never really been interested in goblins/trolls and suchlike. He believes in life on other planets and the fact that aliens could have come to earth and visited but apart from that he's not really a mysterious type. It's true, all the things you said. It was dusk and he was on a bike. But I've never seen him react lke that to anything before or since. This is a finnish guy who's spent weeks on end in the pitch black forest during army training, he goes hunting and we spent last summer hiking round lapland. He's seen bears, mooses, deers, foxes and suchlike and I just dont think he'd mistake one for a miniature human. He's not an easily freaked out person so it had to be something out of the ordinary to get that kind of reaction out of him. I just don't get it.

• Like 1

Some things will probably go unexplained.

I've not encountered, experienced, or witnessed anything that could be called unexplained personally, but there is always another time.

Here in Malaysia, there is a cryptid called Orang Pendek (Short People), that people have claimed to see. Supposedly some bipedal creature like an ape or something.

Or was that in Indonesia...? :huh:

or the Isle of Wight .

• Like 1

"as human beings we have to act on instinct to survive sometimes." bit strong, he was not travelling through San Pedro Sula in Honduras with an anti drug banner on his back.

But agree, that a rational explanation will never be found, especially if he or anyone else. never witnesses again. :blink:

Hey freetoroam, I was really referring to the the question as to whether or not it might have been a child standing there.

If his instincts told him to keep going, then I hope whether it was other-worldly or not, even though the creature may have wanted help, I still think he was right to keep on his way.

Hey freetoroam, I was really referring to the the question as to whether or not it might have been a child standing there.

If his instincts told him to keep going, then I hope whether it was other-worldly or not, even though the creature may have wanted help, I still think he was right to keep on his way.

I know, i was just teasing,,,BUT!

I do not think he should have kept going, he practises marshal arts, and I quote " This is a finnish guy who's spent weeks on end in the pitch black forest during army training, he goes hunting and we spent last summer hiking round lapland"

Forgive me, but if someone who has had army training and is obviously still very fit, does not stop to see if a child is possibly in danger, then god help the rest of us, let alone our children.

• Like 1

The description says the figure was as tall as the bike tire, right? That would still be tall enough for a midget. What is that, 2 1/2 feet, about 0.6 meters?

Maybe a Hobbit? Or whatever their former name was...

Assuming it is not a child, or a midget... Sounds also like a goblin, or even a "dwarf". Minus the beard for the dwarf and greenish skin for the goblin.

Any more detail would be good. Set of the eyes, mouth... where the ears large or pointed?

Description of clothing would be good too.

The Isle of Wight seems to have plenty of legends, but I don't see any with goblins or dwarfs in an off hand internet search.

• Like 1