Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Greyfriars cemetary bizarre experience

karingal

Hi all, just wanted to share this weird one with you. Last year I visited Edinburgh, Scotland with my husbnad. We did all the usual ghost tours, went in the underground tunnels and supposedly haunted churches etc etc all of which we took with a pinch of salt. We also took part in a guided night tour of Greyfriars cemetary which was all very entertaining up untilthe point when the tour guide took us inside the "covenanters prison". This was an area of the cemetary locked with a padlock and which had apparently been used hundreds of years ago as a prison. We visited the tomb of George mackenzie and went inside, all the time the tour guide regaling us with ridiculously far fetched tales of poltergeists, people being hit, fainting and being bitten. Of course we thought this was hilarious. I continued to think it was hilarious right up until the point when I realised by back was burning. We were all cramped up inside this Mackenzie's tomb and I honestly thought someone had lit a cigarette lighter of something near my back because I jumped from the heat. I couldn't get out to have a look at it and as it was night we couldn't really see anything until we got back to the hotel. O my back I appeared to have either been bitten or burned. In the photo's you cant really see how big it was but it was very painful. By morning there was nothing there. Do you think this was some kind of supernatural experience of could it just be the power of suggestion from the tour guides stories?

post-134998-0-98436500-1353177298_thumb.

• Like 2

my, you two do go through it! :w00t:

but I would say it was a bite. I have been biten by spiders before, obviously not deadly ones!! I was once bitten by an ant, my arm inflamed, but by the next day it had gone.

In old buildings, there will always be creapy crawlies which have made its home there, and yes! they can bite.

Once when I was working on a gate and cussing quite a bit, I experienced this burning on my leg. Then it felt as if I'd been kicked there, that type of deep shin bruising pain. I went in the house and rolled up my pant leg to see a perfect crescent red mark exactly the size and shape as if I'd been kicked hard by a boot. The leg began to swell there just as if I'd been kicked. it took less time than an average bone bruise to heal; which could be a whole other topic to talk about. We have a ghost on the ranch that walks heavy footsteps up and down the halls, on the roof [where the old guy died before us]. He wakes up my daughter if she oversleeps with loud bangs in her room and whispers "get up!" in her ear. There's also a boy of thirteenish' ghost both my son and I have seen.

I just think the ghost here was trying to discipline me about cussing and having a negative attitude. For the most part the old guy is helpful, particularly in wrangling the kids.

• Like 1

"Then it felt as if I'd been kicked there, that type of deep shin bruising pain", yep, I know the feeling. if you get biting in the right spot by the tiniest of crawly, it could feel like you have been attacked by a crocodile...........hence my point! I have never been bitten by a croc, but have been bitten a few times, every bite is different, but when someone has never been bitten before or are unfamiliar with bites, it can seem quite frightening.

Its amazing what damage some of these tiny things can do to us "big" humans.

No freetoroam, I've been bitten by spiders numerous times over my life. Countless times. Even had a brown recluse bite that festered and got really nasty before it finally healed [took forever]. Not the same at all. There was no visible skin lesion tiny or large, but instead a perfectly crescent shaped boot mark about 1 1/2 inches x 1/2 inch on my shin with instant pain at bone depth. I've had numerous bone bruises also, living on a farm, training and daily dealing with large farm animals. No itching, just a burning right at the time it happened which quickly morphed into the "sensation" of having been kicked and deep bone pain. There was swelling just like a typical kick from a horse for a day or two and then within three or four days it went down, but a bit of lingering bone pain if you pressed firmly on it. Exactly as you would expect if someone kicked you hard in the shin with a boot to feel days later.

Read the book The Ghost that Haunted Itself by Jan-Andrew Henderson. He's the one who started the tour company whose tour you went on. Unless things have changed since the book was published, that tour company is the only one in Edinburgh which is allowed to take tourists into Covenanter's Prison. I own the book and have read it through. There are many many stories similar to yours within the pages of the book. He also shares information about an experiment that proves ghosts can just be something that's all in your head.

• Like 1

Unless they are witnessed manifesting in remarkable regularity and description as seen by many unrelated people with nothing to gain and much to lose by reporting the sightings. If you believe in how things are proven in court that is...

I guess a ghost could be all in some peoples heads if they are a little disturbed to begin with. I saw one and it wasn't all in my head. It wasn't just a flash, I watched her for a couple of minutes before she disappeared.

You could of been attacked by a ghost or it could be a insect bite too. Did you ever see anything?

If you are talking to me and not the OP, no, I didn't see anything at all. I just got this "feeling' like my cussing was not being appreciated by someone and then the burning and the crescent boot shaped kick mark on my shin with bone pain and swelling.

I've seen a full bodied apparition at my place though. It was a boy of thirteenish, walking down my road at the crack of dawn as I fed livestock. He was wearing an ankle length jet black cape, a tri-cornered hat with a large pink egret feather stuck in it. He was staring at me fixedly without blinking or looking down at his feet. Which is impossible to do down our gravel lane with ruts and potholes every few inches. He also walked noiselessly. As he stared at me, my arms froze in mid air, like you hear about that paralysis people who see ghosts sometimes get. The flake of hay I was holding dropped to the ground. I quickly bent over to pick it up and when I stood back up again he was gone. Nowhere in sight, which is impossible where I saw him with impenatrable brambles and brush on the far side of the road.