Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Britain topples US as most powerful nation

TheLastLazyGun

The empire strikes back! Britain for the first time has toppled the US to emerge as the most powerful nation in the world when it comes to "soft power", according to a new survey.

The survey found that Britain projects more positive influence around the world than any other nation.

Monocle magazine's annual "Global Soft Power" survey, ranks nations according to their standard of government; diplomatic infrastructure; cultural output; capacity for education; and appeal to business.

Read more: http://economictimes...ow/17267885.cms

Edited by TheLastLazyGun
  • Like 3

Much as i love my Country,this one i find hard to believe.

• Like 2

Watta loada rrrrrrruuuuuuuuuuuuubbbbbbbbbbbbiiiiiiiiiiiiiiissssssssssshhhhhhhhhhh ! We are crap and we know we are.

Yoiu just don't get this from Americans or indeed anyone else, even the famously self deprecating Canadians. Why do the British hate themselves so much?

• Like 2

We don't hate ourselves but to proclaim that the Empire strikes back is ridiculous in it's self.

Edited by shaddow134
  • Like 1

You can find a survey or study for just about anything and if you look hard enough probably could find the results that you want to see. Lots of countries have good diplomat, including Britain but a lot of times one country won't influence another too much until several countries gang up on them, not literally but diplomatically.

So if Britain is soft power,the USA is hard....

Let's examine those two words,and how they are viewed by the powerful in the world...

Wow,you are soft .so soft and...melting ,limp,flaccid,mushy .....like jello .

Gosh ,you are hard...firm ....stiff....sturdy ....like a brick .

You gettin my drift here ?

Let's examine those two words,and how they are viewed by the powerful in the world...

No, soft as in subtle, like a secret agent or ninja, rather than the gun-slinging go in with all guns blazing approach.

• Like 1

Devious is another good word. Cunning. Duplicitous.

lol @ most 'soft-powerful'. Most 'poofy' it used to be called.

'Poofy' = Do as I say or I'll rearrange the flowers in your window-box and criticize your curtains.

Edited by Eldorado
  • Like 2

No, soft as in subtle, like a secret agent or ninja, rather than the gun-slinging go in with all guns blazing approach.

My ninja and secret agent friends would disagree. They definitely think of themselves as,quite hard....*titters*

Yoiu just don't get this from Americans or indeed anyone else, even the famously self deprecating Canadians. Why do the British hate themselves so much?

We dont hate ourselves, but these so called surveys really get me annoyed. We used to be a foremost World Power, but successive weak and inept Govt's have reduced us to a 3rd rate power.They sold off nearly all our heavy industry, ie:- shipbuilding,steel industry, the clothing industry including footwear.Merchant Navy,and a whole lot more.We cannot hope to think that we rank alongside the big Countries like the U.S.A etc, we are letting any old Tom,Dick or Harry come in and buy allsorts of items,including land, businesses, and even Castles, so thinking we match the big guys is complete fantasy,heck we couldnt even back up the Falklands if another rumble started down there without help from our allies, we are also Chopping our armed forces and conning other Countries into still thinking that we are great, I'm sick as a chocolate frog about these so called survey statements thought up by IDIOTS
  • Like 3

Dunno about you, but I'd hate to eat a brick with my ice-cream.

• Like 1

What empire? Great Britain doesn't even control the entire British Isles. And if the UK even attempted to exert any control over the Commonwealth it would splinter overnight.

The empire is over, it's time to move on.

The giant corporations own everything important and the banks launder the money effectively. Nationalism is the highest form of Collectivism. The human race is communicating like never before at lightning speed. We're also breeding together more than ever. We are one people, one Nation.. one planet under ®.

lol

Edited by acidhead
  • Like 1

The giant corporations own everything important and the banks launder the money effectively. Nationalism is the highest form of Collectivism. The human race is communicating like never before at lightning speed. We're also breeding together more than ever. We are one people, one Nation.. one planet under ®.

lol

Made in China. i.e. crap.

You reap what you sow.

(lol)

Edited by Eldorado

What empire? Great Britain doesn't even control the entire British Isles. And if the UK even attempted to exert any control over the Commonwealth it would splinter overnight.

The empire is over, it's time to move on.

Just a curious question ......Why are you still flying our flag in the corner of yours ?
  • Like 1

Just a curious question ......Why are you still flying our flag in the corner of yours ?

Its because the Queen is still his head of state lol.

And hence there lies to problem - His military answer our Queen and she has the power to dissolve their parliment whenever she wishes.

well i agree with the article surprise surprise i hear some say. - but the truth is the UK is very influential around the world. its a sad day when we cannot even recognise just how we are viewed around the globe. i tell you one thing there are not may better than us beyond our shores. the international language for business is English. - from literature, philosophy, architecture, Science and technology, Art, Music, Cinema, Television the list goes on and on. to save time, just read wiki, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Culture_of_the_United_Kingdom

Why on earth we continue to put ourselves down is beyond me, Okay we have had weak political leadership. but hasnt the Olympics taught us anything? before the games much of what as been said in this thread was said. in short, were rubbish, an embarrassment. all of which is simply not true. after the Olympic games we said to the world now beat that!

Its about time we started to display some national pride, Fact is no other country in the history of the world has shaped the globe like the United Kingdom, -like it or not - the world we live in today is a direct result of that. All four corners of the world influenced by a small island off the coast of northern europe.

It really is time the History of all this is made compulsory in schools.

this self loathing the British nation is unique in this respect, we are the only people who like to be told how bad things are, who like to be told the worst.

• Like 4