Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Britain 'sleepwalking' into EU exit

Render

Labour's decision to vote for an EU budget cut was seen as evidence that the party is repositioning itself on Europe towards a more Eurosceptic position, but Mr Miliband said he "passionately believes that Britain is stronger in the European Union".

He warned the UK faced a "very dangerous moment" in its relationship with Europe and Mr Cameron, who has previously faced pressure from his own MPs to back an in/out referendum after the next election, was not working in the national interest.

"I will not allow our country to sleepwalk toward exit because it would be a betrayal of our national interest."

Mr Miliband stressed the importance of being part of the single market for British businesses, which do 60% of their trade with EU members.

"If we left the EU it would be the United States, China, the European Union in the negotiating room - and Britain in the overflow room.

"We would end up competing on low-wages and low-skills: an off-shore low-value economy, a race to the bottom," he said.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-20385905

Not surprising, according to some newspaper in India they just have regained their old imperial power...

We sleepwalked into the EU it makes sense to sleepwalk out of it. - but in all seriousness this is just a sound bite from another weak politician. no way on gods green earth is miliband going to become British prime minister. i heard his speech today. :td:

• Like 2

I voted Labour all my life,but now its time to have a change, when the next election comes up I reckon Cam will get in under his own steam and drop Clegg like a bag of hot (bricks) ? , and poor old Auntie Millie will become an also ran.

Why has not being in the EU not undermined the economies of the 87% of the world's countries which are NOT members of the EU?

It's just yet more scaremongering from the mouth-frothing, swivel-eyed Europhiles who have learnt nothing from the scaremongering they inflicted us to ten years ago when Britain, quite rightly as it turned out, decided to keep the pound rather than adopt the euro.

They were wrong about that and they are wrong again now.

Edited by TheLastLazyGun
  • Like 1

We sleepwalked into the EU it makes sense to sleepwalk out of it. - but in all seriousness this is just a sound bite from another weak politician. no way on gods green earth is miliband going to become British prime minister. i heard his speech today. :td:

The only way that Miliband will become Prime Minister in 2015 is if he gives the British people the EU in/out referendum that most of them want.

Any party leader that did that would become the most admired public figure in the UK after the Queen.

Unfortunately for him, though, he has just shown what a rabid Europhile he is, so he won't dare to give us an EU in/out referendum because he knows what the outcome of such a referendum will be.

Edited by TheLastLazyGun

The only way that Miliband will become Prime Minister in 2015 is if he gives the British people the EU in/out referendum that most of them want.

Any party leader that did that would become the most admired public figure in the UK after the Queen.

Unfortunately for him, though, he has just shown what a rabid Europhile he is, so he won't dare to give us an EU in/out referendum because he knows what the outcome of such a referendum will be.

without doubt the whole EU topic is a political hot potato which is steadily becoming to hot to handle. - even with oven gloves on. as the EU continues to go down the gurgler, the more people will want to leave. - i've said it before the EU is stuck in the U-bend one good flush and the whole lot will be gone.

Edited by stevewinn
  • Like 3

1st Fact of the matter is that the UK has voted TWICE to be a member of the EU - hardly "sleepwalking".

2nd fact: the majority of people I speak to in Spain and Germany firmly WANT the UK to leave, there will be no tears in anyone's eyes.

The only 2 things in the EU that need addressing are the CAP (Common Agricultural Policy) and the CFS (Common Fisheries Policy).

The EU needs a Modern, Co-Ordinated Defence Force, a Common Foreign Policy, a single currency and European - wide FSA - it does not need recalcitrant States such as the UK Poland and Romania. It WILL become a "coalition of the willing" and I look forward to that day

• Like 1

1st Fact of the matter is that the UK has voted TWICE to be a member of the EU - hardly "sleepwalking".

2nd fact: the majority of people I speak to in Spain and Germany firmly WANT the UK to leave, there will be no tears in anyone's eyes.

The only 2 things in the EU that need addressing are the CAP (Common Agricultural Policy) and the CFS (Common Fisheries Policy).

The EU needs a Modern, Co-Ordinated Defence Force, a Common Foreign Policy, a single currency and European - wide FSA - it does not need recalcitrant States such as the UK Poland and Romania. It WILL become a "coalition of the willing" and I look forward to that day

first fact, very sneaky of you the people of the UK have never voted for the EU we see today no matter which way you try to spin it, your second fact, who is bothered about Spain or Germany? only helps our cause. :clap: as for the rest, good luck, you'll need it.

i know one thing, a country with the international standing of the UK leaving will get minds thinking. third biggest contributer to the EU funds, fill that black hole, -

in the latest poll, broadest one to date shows 56% would vote to leave - 30% would vote to stay in.

first fact, very sneaky of you the people of the UK have never voted for the EU we see today no matter which way you try to spin it, your second fact, who is bothered about Spain or Germany? only helps our cause. :clap: as for the rest, good luck, you'll need it.

i know one thing, a country with the international standing of the UK leaving will get minds thinking. third biggest contributer to the EU funds, fill that black hole, -

in the latest poll, broadest one to date shows 56% would vote to leave - 30% would vote to stay in.

[media=]

Nothing "Sneaky" at all, just a presentation of FACTS

The EU that you see today, is exactly what was voted for - TWICE

Germany, as the biggest economy by far in the EU, should bother people in the UK when they do not want you in the EU.

I am also interested in just what "International Standing" the UK has??? On it's own it is just another spent Colonial Power like Spain.

Edited by keithisco

Nothing "Sneaky" at all, just a presentation of FACTS

The EU that you see today, is exactly what was voted for - TWICE

Germany, as the biggest economy by far in the EU, should bother people in the UK when they do not want you in the EU.

I am also interested in just what "International Standing" the UK has??? On it's own it is just another spent Colonial Power like Spain.

please tell me Keith, in what year did the UK last vote on membership of the European Union.

I dont need to repeat myself but who cares if the Germans dont want us in the EU, you keep repeating it like it should make us feel saddened, dispirited, the truth is we dont want to be part of the EU anymore. Its up to the people of this nation to decide our future through the democratic process - face facts the majority want to leave.

in answer to your question what international standing does the UK have? - you have sheer contempt for the UK, and even though as a educated man you know full well the answer, you pose it like somehow it helps your argument.

No longer a superpower, a title only held by one country at present the United States of America. (god bless America) Britain now a Great Power, who lets remind ourselves sits at the top table in every aspect from political to militarily. today we are still helping shape the world. - A permanent member of the United Nations, hold a veto, sixth Largest economy out of 193 countries, member of the G7, G8 and G20. World Trade Organisation member, a member of NATO. Nuclear Power. signatory of all major treaties and charters. we have a blue water Navy ranked second, only two others exist, (France and the USA Navies) We protect world trade of which 96% passes through Royal Navy areas of operation. ability to project force anywhere in the world. a major contributer to Peacekeeping, humanitarian aid, and disaster relief. -- I've most probably missed one or two others. but the answer is anything that is worth being a member of we are a member.

I have omitted being a Member of the EU because the above is impressive enough and best of all if we left the European Union none of the above would change, the only other country in the EU which can hold a light to us and by light i mean a candle - is France. no, credit were its due, France is not far behind.

damn. nothing like your comparison Spain. epic fail. should have used France. :tsu::whistle:

• Like 1