Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Quantum Time Travel

JesusFreakGS

Hi all! I have really been getting into Quantum Mechanics recently and I must say that I find it fascinating!!! I'm loving it! I actually understand the two-slit experiment and everything... it's great! lol, well anyway...: Has anyone read September's issue of Discover magazine? There's an article in it called Quantum Shmantum by Tim Folger, and it is about the Multiverse interpretation of Quantum Mechanics. First off, if you don't know much about the subject, I HIGHLY recommend this web page:

http://www2.ncsu.edu/unity/lockers/users/f/felder/public/kenny/papers/quantum.html

Anyway, the multiverse interpretation implies that every decision we make branches off into another reality or universe. The concept is very hard to understand, but bear with me. If the Multiverse theory were true, then it would also solve some of those Time Travel paradoxes that have been mentioned in the forum.

Consider the following: "You hop into your time machine, travel back to visit your grandfather before he married your grandmother, and kill him. As a result, your father will never be born and neither will you, which means that you couldn't have traveled back in time to murder your grandfather. So he survives, your father will be born, and you will grow up to travel back in time to murder your grandfather"... pretty paradoxical, ain't it? Well, "the Many Worlds interpretation of Quantum Theory solves this paradox. When you make the fateful call on your grandfather, the past you visit - and change - is not the past of the universe you came from. In your home universe, the grandfather remains alive. The grandfather you murder belongs to the past of a parallel space and time, one in which you will never be born, but one in which you could remain should you so choose."

Well, there ya have it! Quantum Time Travel... tell me what you think! But remember, this is Tim Folger's/David Deutsch's words... not mine hehe.

Adam

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• PurpleStuart

• JesusFreakGS

• Test_Bear

• pixiedoxen

I did some reading on the whole time travel stuff before.  There was this one theory that to work around that whole paradox thing if one was to go back in time to try to kill his grandma, no matter how hard he tried he would not be able to kill her because history can not be altered.  

Have you heard of that theory.  

I also read that it might be more possible to travel into the future rather than to travel back in time.  

I never heard that before. It's an interesting concept, though. If there is only one reality in existence, then that would work. If we go back in time to, let's say, stop Hitler from being born, we wouldn't be able to stop it since it's already happened. Time is like a continuous loop... back when that happened in OUR time frame perspective, Hitler's mother may have been met by a strange, unworldly person, and may have fallen in lve with him, gotten pregnant, and had Hitler. If that guy goes back in time then, he would HAVE to do the same thing since it's already happened. Catch my drift?

Adam

In my opinion if time travel was ever made accessable to anyone then it would be the most dangerous technology ever created.  Some people might use for personal gain, or wrong.  Maybe things happen for a reason.  I believe that the things that happened in history were meant to happen!  For example I remembered somwhere that when Hitler was still young and before he became such a strong figure to Germany he was in some german army or some group. (MY Memory is vague, just remember the concept) but Hitler was in a crowd and he was standing next to some guy and someone shot out and shot the guy next to Hitler.  The point is the bullet was probably inches away from Hitler.  Just imagin what would of happened if the bullet got him.  Maybe the holocaust was supposed to happen.  Sad yes, but its history.  Sorry for going off on a tangent.  Just thought of how dangereous time travel would be if it was created.

Hey Adam,

I totally agree with the theory you speak of. In fact, I just wrote something very similar on the other time/paradox thread before reading your one. This theory at least answers some of the questions that the original paradox leaves us with.  :)

Read "Timeline" written by Michael Crichten, it is no scientific book, but it is about the theory, and it is a very good book.

Odin Supreme  8)

• 5 months later...

Hitler suffered at least two occasions where he was close to death. During WWI he suffered wounds as part of a gas attack that he wasn't able to get protection from in time. He was also shot once in addition to the crowd shooting. (I can't remember the details that well, I'll look into it.)

Purely speculative... but here it goes. You can't change time, because by changing time you would shift current context and you would hence forth remove the time travel, right? Even the smallest items would cause paradoxes. Going back in time to lock your door a week ago would result in a locked door and no need to travel back to the lock it... even if you do go back for the need of locking it to avoid the paradox, you would encounter yourself locking the door. Shouldn't work.

Okay, what about parallel dimensions? You take the action, a secondary universe is birthed. On a small enough scale there is no way to predict which way an atom will move, for certain, and thus a different possibility is formed.

Not that "Slider's" really helps out right now....

Not being very serious here, but... what if that bullet that missed Hitler was fired by a Time traveller sent back to kill him, but failed...

Just a daft thought...

Excellent theorising guys.

I remember, as a lad, reading a short story (American) about a time traveller who changed his present by flattening a butterfly in pre-historic times. It made me think then, and has stuck in my mind ever since.

BTW the American importance was that when he returned to his own time a fascist, or communist, government were in power, having been newly elected.

Test_Bear,

That crowd shooting you referred to was Hitler's famous Beer-Hall Putsch in November 1923. After that the attempts on his life were by bombs: A homemade bomb exploded Nov. 8, 1939. 7 people were killed and 63 wounded(Hitler, unfortunately, left the building 10 minutes earlier). Count von Stauffenberg made four attempts to kill Hitler(each time with a bomb in his briefcase), the last time, although not directly involved himself, had the endorsement of Erwin Rommel(4 killed; Hitler, along with a few others wounded).

[glow=blue,2,300]Homer :sj

Sheff_Pud -yeah i remember that too, he came back and the language had changed too if i remember correctly...

JesusFreakGS - you're 14 and your reading about quantum mechanics - good on you!

-Homer

Highly impressive knowledge! I completely forgot the bomb attempts, mostly because I just listed pre-power events. I noticed that you didn't mention the gas attack and the war wounds... was I wrong? I'll watch the documentary I own tonite and verify what they say and look for secondary comfirmation...

If someone DID manage to alter the past and not product a paradox, we would have no way of knowing it. We would not wake up one day and say, "Huh, Greg Hampton the slaughter of millions of... ummm... Texans no longer exists." It simply wouldn't occur, because time, being an absolute occurence, would rectify itself. So if there was no to be the formation of a paradox... if an absolute time stream were to be THAT forgiving, one might travel back in time, kill their parents, vanish, and simply have time settle that way. So how could time travel ever truly be useful if the changes aren't to be realized conciously....

-Test Bear

PS They made a FASCINATING "Simpsons" Halloween Episode about time travel... man that was good...

Test_Bear,

You were right about the gas attack, and that was one of the reasons why I didn't bring it up. That was after being hit twice before with shell fragments. I didn't want to spend too much time on it, due to the point being the effects of time travel.

• 6 months later...

really, jimi hendrix was a time traveller.... from an unknown planet in the stoned-afro major constellation.he came here to show us that if ur stoned, everything becomes so much happier.he taught us guitar sacrifice and how to grow a lovely afro.come back jimi.... the earth needs you!  :sq