Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Teen sentenced to attend church for 10 years

Still Waters

An Oklahoma teen convicted of manslaughter has sentenced to 10 years of probation, with requirements that include regularly attending church.

Tyler Alred, now 17, had been drinking when he crashed a pickup truck at around 4 a.m. on Dec. 3, 2011, Tulsa World reports. The accident killed Alred's friend, 16-year-old John Luke Dum, who was a passenger in the vehicle.

http://www.huffingto..._n_2146619.html

Ah, the good old colonial times back on the rise...

Yeah.. is that really even legal??? Separation of church and government and all that jazz... He should get a couple of years in jail until he's matured enough not to do it again.

An Oklahoma teen convicted of manslaughter has sentenced to 10 years of probation, with requirements that include regularly attending church.

Tyler Alred, now 17, had been drinking when he crashed a pickup truck at around 4 a.m. on Dec. 3, 2011, Tulsa World reports. The accident killed Alred's friend, 16-year-old John Luke Dum, who was a passenger in the vehicle.

http://www.huffingto..._n_2146619.html

The ACLU will probably get this sentence overturned even if the young man doesn't object to it. Bad precedent. Not sure what the judge was thinking but I have no problem with the idea in theory. Church going has been found to be an activity that correlates with increased longevity and better emotional wellbeing. Maybe any kind of structure would do the same but this kid seems to need SOMETHING.

Ah, the good old colonial times back on the rise...

Yeah, we can't have something like THAT. Because the way we are doing things in our more enlightened age are working out SO well for us, huh? I agree that the State shouldn't be pushing religion. If they do this and get away with it then my grandchildren might be forced someday to attend Mosque. Religion needs to be a private concern totally. This kid made a mistake that is common of his age group and it cost a friend his life. If this sentence is kicked back by litigation then the 17 year old probably turns 20 in a prison cell. Maybe that helps him but probably? No.

Well the story doesn't mention what type of church. If it is up to the kid he should pick something different: pagan, rastafarian, mormonlol.

Well the story doesn't mention what type of church. If it is up to the kid he should pick something different: pagan, rastafarian, mormonlol.

He could attend the Church of Biff :D

• Like 1

Should of given him 10 years in jail and let him attend church there.

Judges sometimes do hand out punishments that probably aren't constitutional but unless you have to money to take it to a higher court or someone takes up your cause you just have to live with it. That is how they get by with it.

• Like 1

Drinking while driving is NO accident..I doubt going to church will do him any good, as his attorney states, he attends church every week anyway

Edited by Beckys_Mom

How about... ten years in prison? Drinking, driving, with a passenger? Puhlease, and underage to boot. Screw church, toss him into the slammer.

• Like 1

How about 10 years with Alcoholics Anonymous - going through the 12 step program would at least be a practical type of rehabilitation for a drunk driver, even if it only teaches him to drink responsibly.

Since when has going to church ever stopped anyone from doing anything? Aren't most of the Mafia avid churchgoers? This is really the height of ridiculous.

• Like 1

Church = punishment...I best drive safely, otherwise they could sentence me to 10 years as a parishioner ... If I commit murder, I could wind up life as a nun !!! :blink: ( Kidding )

Edited by Beckys_Mom

What happens when you stand in front of a muslim judge who sentences you to 10 years of going to an Islamic mosque?

These kind of things do push the line. Can you imagine sentencing a muslim to attend church for 10 years?

What happens when you stand in front of a muslim judge who sentences you to 10 years of going to an Islamic mosque?

These kind of things do push the line. Can you imagine sentencing a muslim to attend church for 10 years?

He'll probably end up like the only Jew you'll see in a church: nailed to a cross. LOL.

You either do not like Muslims or are sensationalizing, playing on the negative emotions of others who fear or hate them. Sorry but your post has zil effect in that regard to me.

It is also silly to even state this because it ignores the fact that sentencing someone to a church that is not their denomination or one that they would choose is not what is happening here.

More than likely the community that the judge and offender is from value Christian ideals. That may not be how it is where you or I live but in an area where most folk go or at least respect church then these type of punishments are understandable. If it was sentencing someone to a church not their religion then I would have an issue with it as of now I don't.

Most people opposed to this simply do not like church. That much is transparent so anything else being said about it does not seem like the real reason some are opposed to it. I mean you can offer a thousand reasons but they would all be disingenuous.

How about 10 years with Alcoholics Anonymous - going through the 12 step program would at least be a practical type of rehabilitation for a drunk driver, even if it only teaches him to drink responsibly.

Since when has going to church ever stopped anyone from doing anything? Aren't most of the Mafia avid churchgoers? This is really the height of ridiculous.

AA is like a religion itself.

Edited by Chasingtherabbit

First off, I don't have a problem with Muslims. So don't be shoving your words down my throat. And second, don't tell me it cannot happen.

I didn't say it was happening in this case. I merely stated what happens when that does happen. And if you know judges they can pretty much

do what they want, just like the lawyers of this world of whom judges are.

First off, I don't have a problem with Muslims. So don't be shoving your words down my throat. And second, don't tell me it cannot happen.

I didn't say it was happening in this case. I merely stated what happens when that does happen. And if you know judges they can pretty much

do what they want, just like the lawyers of this world of whom judges are.

You either do not like Muslims or are sensationalizing.

I guess it was the latter after all.

To claim we should be against this because one day a judge could sentence us to mosque is an irrational claim. No, it can't happen. This is right-wing drivel.

Next thing we know he will be telling us that they have plans to set up sharia states across the West.

Enemies of pluralistic societies, who only want one group to dominate, theirs, will always spout these irrational claims.

Nothing within his post suggests or hints he doesn't like muslims.. I do not understand why you have stressed on this twice .. All he has posted was his personal what if? thoughts.

Next thing we know he will be telling us that they have plans to set up sharia states across the West.

Enemies of pluralistic societies, who only want one group to dominate, theirs, will always spout these irrational claims.

Ha ha talk about going over the top .. This must have really gotten to you, more than it has anyone else .. The poor guy hasn't hinted at any hate for anyone... and you go in for the full monty making up more to it.. Mountain / molehill :lol:

Edited by Beckys_Mom
  • Like 2

I guess it was the latter after all.

To claim we should be against this because one day a judge could sentence us to mosque is an irrational claim. No, it can't happen. This is right-wing drivel.

Actually it is perfectly rational. All law is based on precedent I think. So if this judge makes a 17 year old go to church and it isn't challenged and overturned then it becomes an accepted part of the law. If, in 50 or 100 years the demographics of a democracy change and Islam is the predominant religious influence it's easy to see a judge - Sharia or not - doing the same thing. The idea is to ENFORCE a given idea of morality on a lawbreaker who did harm to society in the hope that such an "education" will temper the person's actions going forward.
  • Like 2