Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Full moon does not cause madness, study shows

Still Waters

Sudden crime waves, injuries and other random acts have been blamed on the monthly phenomenon, sometimes by doctors, nurses and the police.

But research by a group of psychologists in Canada has finally debunked the myth, proving that the lunar cycle has no influence on these freak occurrences.

http://www.telegraph...tudy-shows.html

Ask a nurse, doctor or Xray tech working an E.R. on full moon nights and you'll get a different perspective :w00t:

• Like 4

It may not cause you to do freaky things but it gives you more light to do it by.

• Like 6

It may not cause you to do freaky things but it gives you more light to do it by.

LOL hahahahaha

Ask a nurse, doctor or Xray tech working an E.R. on full moon nights and you'll get a different perspective :w00t:

Or a Mod.... :whistle::D

• Like 5

I don't care what psychologists say. They study alot of things and always come up with answers to everything but I've seen normal people do some crazy things when the moon is full. One time my late brother-in-law got into a fight with a friend who lived three doors down. He got so angry he went home and took a hatchet and smashed all the windows of his friends car. They called the police and when they arrested him he wasn't drunk or on drugs. He wasn't crazy and was always a very friendly man who never did anything like that before. Everybody said it was because of the full moon and knowing him I agree.

I am not usually a 'believer' so to speak but this time round, I firmly believe the moons cycle can have an effect on behaviour in some people. How and why is where I get stuck though...

I am not usually a 'believer' so to speak but this time round, I firmly believe the moons cycle can have an effect on behaviour in some people. How and why is where I get stuck though...

From what I read in the past, the metals in our body were attracted by the full moon, causing a change in our personalities. As to the study...there are so many studies that contradict each other. A study by plastic bag producers had consumers freaking out that reuseable grocery bags were unhygenic and they should not be used. Pay a researcher enough to 'prove' your theory and you will be getting a result.

• Like 4

There's a reason for this. You tend to notice a full moon, and if this coincides with a particularly busy shift there's a tendency to correlate the two. What you don't notice are the busy times when there isn't a full moon. So, some Police and nurses swear by this relationship but simply they are mistaken. Also, how many of them that claim this actually know when the moon is full? It can appear full for two days before and after.

The questions I would ask those that believe this is, how does it work?

By what mechanism does a full moon have this effect where other phases do not? It's still going overhead whether you can see it or not.

The moon is able to raise tides twice a day, but we don't see people going loopy twice a day. Why not?

• Like 1

Better yet ask a 911 Operator like i did. They say they get more calls when the moon is full.

My grandmother once had the job of compiling violent crime statistics for the Ft Worth PD. Maybe it was just a case of people using the full moon as an excuse to act a fool, ( Fool Moon... heh ) but violent crime definitely went up on those nights.

• Like 1

The only full moon that makes me mad is when my boss bends over in front of me [shudder]. :w00t:

• Like 1

Maybe its because there is more light, so more people feel comfortable being out at night which might lead to staying out later, drinking more, driving faster, having a false sense of sercurity and feeling more empowered not being "blind " in the dark.

• Like 1

Wouldn't surprise me given that the human body is like, what, 65% water.

A full moon might cause internal "tides", making one quezy.

Oh wait, that only happpens when I'm drunk. :passifier:

• Like 2

There's a reason for this. You tend to notice a full moon, and if this coincides with a particularly busy shift there's a tendency to correlate the two. What you don't notice are the busy times when there isn't a full moon. So, some Police and nurses swear by this relationship but simply they are mistaken. Also, how many of them that claim this actually know when the moon is full? It can appear full for two days before and after.

I would say this definitely sways peoples opinions to behavioural changes in some.

The questions I would ask those that believe this is, how does it work?

By what mechanism does a full moon have this effect where other phases do not? It's still going overhead whether you can see it or not.

The moon is able to raise tides twice a day, but we don't see people going loopy twice a day. Why not?

This is a real problem to explain, for you as it does not happen and for me as I do not know why.

But I will say the following is true, a full moon may cause more excitement to people and lead to 'silly behaviour' just from someone stating "look, its a full moon", so some people may find themselves behaving in a way they would not have done without the full moon, especially due the things we link to a full moon in western society. Unfortunately this is not down to the moon having a physical effect on our body, more our own interpretation of what a full moon represents.

You do raise some good points, but unfortunately my views on the subject are clouded by what I was taught as a youngster and it is difficult for me to shake them. :)

• Like 1

But I will say the following is true, a full moon may cause more excitement to people and lead to 'silly behaviour' just from someone stating "look, its a full moon", so some people may find themselves behaving in a way they would not have done without the full moon, especially due the things we link to a full moon in western society. Unfortunately this is not down to the moon having a physical effect on our body, more our own interpretation of what a full moon represents.

A kind of self -fulfilling prophecy? Sounds like a decent theory to me.

• Like 1

A kind of self -fulfilling prophecy? Sounds like a decent theory to me.

Indeed, if you saw myself and a few friends spotting a full moon on an intoxicated night out it would be beyond doubt. ;)

My Mother-In-Law who is a Labor and Delivery nurse (Baby delivering nurse) has said in the past that the number of women that come in spontaneously to deliver their baby increases, sometimes as much as doubles, when the moon is Full.

The amount of light shining on the moon doesn't change it's gravitational properties one bit. A new moon has just as much 'pull' as a full moon.

• Like 1

So we've been having full moons for all of human history. We've had thousand of years and millions of people to figure this one out.

The amount of light shining on the moon doesn't change it's gravitational properties one bit. A new moon has just as much 'pull' as a full moon.

Well, now that you put it that way(good point!) I suppose the issue is more psychological than physiological.

Edited by pallidin