Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Hobbit movie facing protests at premieres

Still Waters

Animal rights group PETA says it will protest at UK and American premieres of the new Hobbit movies over allegations of mistreatment of animals during filming in New Zealand.

The producers of The Hobbit movies today rejected allegations that animals died due to mistreatment during the making of Peter Jackson's highly anticipated Tolkien trilogy in New Zealand. The first of the three movies, The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey premieres in Wellington on November 28 and will be released worldwide in December.

http://www.telegraph...-premieres.html

• Like 1

What kind of animals? Smaug the Dragon?

• Like 1

What kind of animals? Smaug the Dragon?

It tells you in the article -

"PETA alleged that up to 27 animals, including horses, sheep, goats and chickens, died during the course of filming,"

It tells you in the article -

"PETA alleged that up to 27 animals, including horses, sheep, goats and chickens, died during the course of filming,"

A lot more would have died if that brave Mr. Baggins hadn't been prepared to pay the ultimate price, so I think they ought to show some gratitude.

• Like 5

From reading the link - it seems to me that the animals were injured BY OTHER ANIMALS... Although the Humane Society was on hand and had no problems with anything...

PETA needs to focus on REAL problems with animals and other wise just shut up...

Getting really tired of their crap...

• Like 5

It's called PETA wanting publicity. The Hobbit is going to be one of the biggest films this decade and they want to latch onto whatever publicity they can whether its true or not. From reading the article it sounds to me like things that happen on farms throughout the world, but since it is somehow tied to the hobbit then PETA cares.

• Like 2

Is that the same PETA that frees cage-reared animals into the wild so they can starve to death slowly in an unfamiliar environment?

• Like 3

They seem to be talking about things that happened to the animals while on the farm. If that's the case why even bring the movie into it, publicity maybe.

Is that the same PETA that frees cage-reared animals into the wild so they can starve to death slowly in an unfamiliar environment?

yes, and the same PETA that objectifies women in their ads against eating meat

• Like 1

When I read:

"PETA alleged that up to 27 animals, died during the course of filming of The Hobbit,"

I thought mosquitoes or ants, given PETA's `crying wolf´-mannerism.

They failed to mention that around 21,000 children died each day during the filming of The Hobbit.

Maybe that's their fault too?

I love animals and dislike any unnecessary pain or anxiety inflicted upon them, but this attention-whore PETA has turned into is just too much.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

I read some stats on PETA. The put down the majority of the animals they 'rescue'. I'm all for the proper treatment of animals, but there are far better groups than PETA. They do stuff like this looking for headlines. They were even protesting Pokemon.

from the link : " and a dozen chickens were mauled to death by dogs. " Which means that "handlers" Mis Handled the animals. Who is responsible for the handlers and the animals being brought together? .. that's right.. the producers of the film. They are the ones ultimately responsible for the safety and care of the animals.. and they were Irresponsible

BOOOOOOOOOOO!!

Thank you Peta for bringing it to our attention.

Edited by lightly

I have it from reliable sources that PETA is missing huge aspect of animal abuse:

Lions murdering zebras.

Polar bears murdering seals.

Foxes murdering rabbits.

Eagles murdering squirrels.

I've also heard that even plants exhibit rudimentary 'feelings'...The horror of broccoli murder is indeed quite real.

• Like 3

I have it from reliable sources that PETA is missing huge aspect of animal abuse:

Lions murdering zebras.

Polar bears murdering seals.

Foxes murdering rabbits.

Eagles murdering squirrels.

I've also heard that even plants exhibit rudimentary 'feelings'...The horror of broccoli murder is indeed quite real.

And don't forget the really muscular Ospreys attacking toddlers!

I am always ethical with my treatment of animals... I never forget to put cranberry on my turkey or gravy on my veal schnitzel.

They like to stick their noses in places they don't belong..Why don't they help the countless abused and starving animals that actually need help?

I guess it would be too much dirty work for them.

Unless its for bucket loads of publicity PETA doesnt seem to do a lot for animals.