Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Queen celebrates her 65th wedding anniversary

TheLastLazyGun

The Queen and the Duke of Edinburgh celebrate their Blue Sapphire wedding anniversary on Tuesday. It is a landmark which no other British monarch has achieved, and one which may never be surpassed.

The Queen and the Duke of Edinburgh will today celebrate their 65th wedding anniversary as Her Majesty notches up yet another landmark in her Diamond Jubilee year.

http://www.telegraph...nniversary.html

Edited by Saru
Trimmed for length
  • Like 6

excellent. they've been through a lot together and in the public spot light too boot. congratulations to the pair of them.

• Like 3

*sings* Happy Anniversary to you......All the best to both of them :tu:

• Like 2

From the headline on could deduce that Prince Philip is not celebrating...

• Like 2

IMO Her Maj earned every penny of her wages having to sit through hours of that c**p on the Royal Variety thingy last night! Rather her than me!!!!!

• Like 2

Wow 65 years with the same old fart.

On a more serious note not too many marriages survive that long. Happy Anniversary and hopefully many more.

• Like 2

Why isn't the Duke, King of England?

King out ranks Queen, So because Elizebeth was born into the royal family and became Queen she outranks Philip who married into the family.

If Philip was born in the royal fmaily he would be kind, then if he married Elizebeth (if she wasn't royal blood, then she would still be Queen) It's jsut to do with blood line and rank.

You can never be the king unless you are blood.

I can't stand it all to be honest. As a couple I congratulate them. But nothing more than that. I dislike the idea of the royal family and think that some things should be left in the medieval times. Before soemone mentiones tradition, then stoning, hanging and many other barbaric things where "tradition". I know they are different, but the whole idea of a royal family in this day and age i find disturbing. Isn't eqaulity supposed to be improtant in modern times?

• Like 2

seriously who gives a rodents rectum.the country has no joy no hope people are useng food banks to survive,kids are going to soup kitchens so they dont go to school hungry who the hell cares about this .anyone who does lives in a bubble that hasnt burst yet but trust me its coming in all its blood spilling house burning "glory".get a ******* grip

• Like 1

Wow 65 years with the same old fart.

On a more serious note not too many marriages survive that long. Happy Anniversary and hopefully many more.

He hasn't always been old.

seriously who gives a rodents rectum.

Several people on this thread do.

• Like 1

King out ranks Queen, So because Elizebeth was born into the royal family and became Queen she outranks Philip who married into the family.

Yeah. King outranks Queen and the spouse of a Sovereign obviously cannot take a title that outranks the Sovereign. So this means that the wife of a king can be known as "queen consort" (queen for short) because Queen is lower than King, but the husband of a Queen cannot be known as "king consort" because he would therefore have a title which outranks that of the Sovereign, and it is consitutionally impossible for anyone to outrank the Sovereign. So, instead, he is given the title "prince consort".

The same thing applies to other titles. The wife of an OBE can become a Dame whereas the husband of a DBE will not become a 'Sir' as a knight outranks a dame.

Elizabeth II is a proper Queen; the Monarch; the Sovereign; the Head of State. She is a Queen Regnant.

The wife of a King, however, is only a Queen Consort and even though she has the title "Queen" she is not an actual Queen in her own right and does not have the powers of a Queen Regnant or King.

Edited by TheLastLazyGun

seriously who gives a rodents rectum.the country has no joy no hope people are useng food banks to survive,kids are going to soup kitchens so they dont go to school hungry who the hell cares about this .anyone who does lives in a bubble that hasnt burst yet but trust me its coming in all its blood spilling house burning "glory".get a ******* grip

Or it could just be that with all the doom and gloom going on in the world, their wedding anniversary is a pleasant distraction.

Judging people and name calling is uncalled for on the basis you don't share the same point of view. Just because you don't give a toss about their anniversary it doesn't mean others shouldn't.

Neither does it mean we don't care about anything else you've pointed out in your post either.

• Like 1

Yeah. King outranks Queen and the spouse of a Sovereign obviously cannot take a title that outranks the Sovereign. So this means that the wife of a king can be known as "queen consort" (queen for short) because Queen is lower than King, but the husband of a Queen cannot be known as "king consort" because he would therefore have a title which outranks that of the Sovereign, and it is consitutionally impossible for anyone to outrank the Sovereign. So, instead, he is given the title "prince consort".

The same thing applies to other titles. The wife of an OBE can become a Dame whereas the husband of a DBE will not become a 'Sir' as a knight outranks a dame.

Elizabeth II is a proper Queen; the Monarch; the Sovereign; the Head of State. She is a Queen Regnant.

The wife of a King, however, is only a Queen Consort and even though she has the title "Queen" she is not an actual Queen in her own right and does not have the powers of a Queen Regnant or King.

oh my god this is the 21st century all this stupidity should be put to bed .no human is better then another because of a bloodline and respect is earned not a birthright.

• Like 1

Or it could just be that with all the doom and gloom going on in the world, their wedding anniversary is a pleasant distraction.

Judging people and name calling is uncalled for on the basis you don't share the same point of view. Just because you don't give a toss about their anniversary it doesn't mean others shouldn't.

Neither does it mean we don't care about anything else you've pointed out in your post either.

You have to admit though, it's not right that someone is born with all that and someone else is born with nothing and can't achieve certain goals in life.

To me the royal family is the perfect example of how far away we are form having equal rights. Surely the position of King or Queen should be a position you could work to or challenge.

Of course that would never happen because it's all about blood lines.

oh my god this is the 21st century all this stupidity should be put to bed .no human is better then another because of a bloodline and respect is earned not a birthright.

Well said.

• Like 2

You have to admit though, it's not right that someone is born with all that and someone else is born with nothing and can't achieve certain goals in life.

So you're saying because of this they don't deserve any well wishes on their anniversary? Using that point of view, there are loads of things in life that aren't fair and right. I don't make the rules, neither do I judge people on the basis of their upbringing.

So you're saying because of this they don't deserve any well wishes on their anniversary? Using that point of view, there are loads of things in life that aren't fair and right. I don't make the rules, neither do I judge people on the basis of their upbringing.

Didn't say that. Merely pointed out Smurf had a point.

I don't judge people by their upbringing, I judge them themselves on their actions. They don't change anything, therefore my point is aimed at them.

no one is saying that what the point is if these 2 were not born into the most privilaged out dated system in the world not one person would give a damn about them .there is nothing about them that makes them special they are just people that have been married for a long time .they dont have super powers they dont feed the poor they dont really know the country they live in .yet somehow uk citizens are supposed to feel the need to bow to them .its silly out dated stupidity.

• Like 1

So despite the fact that a woman has held the position the last 50 years it's still a sexist institution due to tradition.

no one is saying that what the point is if these 2 were not born into the most privilaged out dated system in the world not one person would give a damn about them .there is nothing about them that makes them special they are just people that have been married for a long time .they dont have super powers they dont feed the poor they dont really know the country they live in .yet somehow uk citizens are supposed to feel the need to bow to them .its silly out dated stupidity.

Being a Yank my opinion matters little in this but I think you are off base on one point more than any other: The very act of remaining faithful to another person through life's trials for SIXTY FIVE YEARS, is a tremendous accomplishment. Very, very few people could accomplish such a thing and I believe they should be honored for it.
  • Like 4

Being a Yank my opinion matters little in this but I think you are off base on one point more than any other: The very act of remaining faithful to another person through life's trials for SIXTY FIVE YEARS, is a tremendous accomplishment. Very, very few people could accomplish such a thing and I believe they should be honored for it.

Exactly! and that's what this thread is about. :tu:

• Like 2

My grand parents don't get a load of publicity for doing it. They also did it for true love, you can't truly say those 2 have stayed together for true love. They married because of bloodlines etc.

• Like 2