Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Theft of sacred rock drawings

Big Bad Voodoo

"This is by far the worst example of vandalism in my career in my field office," said Greg Haverstock, archaeologist for the U.S. Bureau of Land Management in Bishop, Calif., about 150 miles due east of San Jose. "I think it’s akin to someone going and cutting pieces out of the Wailing Wall."

"These petroglyphs — in our language, rock writings — are held sacred to the people here," said Raymond Andrews, a Paiute who serves as the tribal historical preservation officer for the Bishop area. "Our ancestors etched messages in them, so they are sacred... People go and pray to them and try to seek guidance."

http://usnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2012/11/19/15284584-theft-of-sacred-rock-drawings-stuns-california-tribe-federal-officials?lite

Unbelieveble.

People that go around stealing or destroying historical artifacts/monuments are on the bottom of my "would like to be friends" list.

• Like 2

People that go around stealing or destroying historical artifacts/monuments are on the bottom of my "would like to be friends" list.

That's putting it mildly. It goes to show that people who commit crimes don't tend to be that bright. Just who do they think will buy these? If you have them you certainly can't put them on display next to your mona lisa that was stolen from the louve. What a waste. Edited by OverSword
  • Like 1

Some people will do anything for a buck. Nothing is too low or too sacred.

• Like 1

Whoever took them better spend the rest of their days looking over their shoulder.

Without elaborating, I know that tribes take extreme offense at desecration of sacred sites.

Thieves caught by tribal members just disappear.

Whoever did it better hope they get caught by the police first.

• Like 1

Not just a crime against that tribe, but a crime against all of humanity. A curse on anyone who buys them, from these thieves as well!!