Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Happy Thaksgiving

Ghostdancer

Thanksgiving2012.jpg

Everyone have a happy and safe Thanksgiving. Also to those of you living where it is not celebrated. :)

And to you and all of those who celebrate.

Thank you Ghostdancer. We don't have Thanksgiving in the UK because we don't have a great deal to be thankful for! (Except English Ale)

• Like 1

Thank you Ghostdancer. We don't have Thanksgiving in the UK because we don't have a great deal to be thankful for! (Except English Ale)

Well ealdwita, you can always have one on us then! ;)

• Like 1

HAPPY THANKSGIVING!

Thanksgiving-meme-funny_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Well ealdwita, you can always have one on us then! ;)

Cheers, old chap. One of these fine days I'm gonna get off my fat butt and come across the pond for a holiday. I've been most places East of the Greenwich Meridian but never West. I hear you have a few horses over there too!

Edited by ealdwita
  • Like 1

Cheers, old chap. One of these fine days I'm gonna get off my fat butt and come across the pond for a holiday. I've been most places East of the Greenwich Meridian but never West. I hear you have a few horses over there too!

And I was over there back in 1987. Yes, plenty of horses. My sister has some.

• Like 1

More like . . . "we'll wait until their stuffed and drunk, then we'll slaughter 'em"

Nope...utterly incorrect. The first Thanksgiving (which was actually a harvest festival) saw the Native Americans and the Pilgrims getting along rather well actually.

See link: http://www.pilgrimha...rg/f_thanks.htm

BTW, I live in Plymouth MA and it's a pretty big holiday here.

Edited by Lilly
addition
  • Like 2

Nope...utterly incorrect. The first Thanksgiving (which was actually a harvest festival) saw the Native Americans and the Pilgrims getting along rather well actually.

See link: http://www.pilgrimha...rg/f_thanks.htm

BTW, I live in Plymouth MA and it's a pretty big holiday here.

LOL . . . and you believe them? (PIlgrim Hall Museum)

http://revcom.us/a/firstvol/883/thank.htm

That aside, this was really a Last Harvest festival of pagan origin brought over from Europe

Of course the wealthy 'powers that be' wanted to remove the indigenous people and claim the land...history demonstrates that quite clearly. However, the first survivours (50 odd of them) were not immediately hostile to the native people. The real nasty stuff went down as more and more people came to join the colony. Sadly, the sentiments of the first Thanksgiving were not to last.

• Like 1

For better or worst we got Thanksgiving and any holiday that involves food is good with me.

• Like 1

Happy Thanksgiving to those who are celebrating it today. Have yourselves a lovely day :st

• Like 1

Happy Thanks Giving!

bub7.jpg

Since my post on this thread (#8), it's occurred to me that we have celebrated 'Thanksgiving Days' in England in the past. There was one called in 1588 after the defeat of the Spanish Armada, one in 1606 to celebrate the failure of the Gunpowder Plot which morphed over the years into Guy Fawkes Night, and another in 1705 (something to do with Queen Anne, but I can't remember what!)

Edited by ealdwita