Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

UFOs with Speeds up to 27,000 MPH

TheMacGuffin

That said, I also know that Harry Truman could keep a secret if he had to. During World War II when he was still a senator, he found out about the Manhattan Project and the atomic bomb.

Secretary of War Henry Stimson called him into his office and said "if you are the patriot you always claim to be, you will forget you ever heard about that and never mention it again."

Truman said nothing more about it again, not even when he became president in April 1945, at least not until Hiroshima and Nagasaki, when of course the whole world knew about it.

• Like 1

The 1950s is so long ago, I would say speed limits for UFOs have far exceeded 7-12 m/p/s by now or not? Technology moves with time what do you think Mac?

The 1950s is so long ago, I would say speed limits for UFOs have far exceeded 7-12 m/p/s by now or not? Technology moves with time what do you think Mac?

I suspect that was not the upper limit of their speed even then, because sometimes it was just literally off the charts, so fast that they couldn't believe it.

Even back then, they were observing these UFOs move up, down and sideways, covering large distances at a speed which for all intents and purposes was just instantaneous--instant movement from point A to Point B.

Edited by TheMacGuffin

Yes I believe so too. I saw one night a yellowish/white light-streak, ( only way I can describe it ), was directly high above and lasted a split second. It just seemed different from the standard shooting star, it didnt blaze out, it just WAS then wasnt if you know what I mean like it just switched off as soon as I saw it. I was still fixed on the dark point it left as it vanished, contemplating the oddity of my thoughts when amazingly, it shot out from its vanishing point at a right angle to its original trajectory! It lasted a fraction of a split second and travelled a split of the distance! No singular light visible just a streak from point A to B. I hope you can make sense of this Mac it has been difficult to put into words.

I have yet to see any ball lighting do a 360 and accelerate back from which it came ! :tsu: .

So Whats ya gonna do when they come for you ? :alien::no:

• Like 1

Yes I believe so too. I saw one night a yellowish/white light-streak, ( only way I can describe it ), was directly high above and lasted a split second. It just seemed different from the standard shooting star, it didnt blaze out, it just WAS then wasnt if you know what I mean like it just switched off as soon as I saw it. I was still fixed on the dark point it left as it vanished, contemplating the oddity of my thoughts when amazingly, it shot out from its vanishing point at a right angle to its original trajectory! It lasted a fraction of a split second and travelled a split of the distance! No singular light visible just a streak from point A to B. I hope you can make sense of this Mac it has been difficult to put into words.

I saw one do something very similar myself, which was when I really knew it had to be something "out of this world", and there are many reports of them moving like that, so fast that it's as if they can be in two places at once.

Speed sha-speedle,we dont need no stinkin Speed Limits ! This afterall is mans idea to have a speed limit ! Our physics Our ideas, I believe that theres travel that far out paces our belief systems !

Put your own numbers to it ! Point of reference is indeed a good starting point to begin with ! :tsu:

I do not agree with the premise that a UAP is always and everywhere the same thing as a UFO

can you specifically point out the differences?

Certainly I'm not going to set myself up as an expert on plasmas and ball lightning, but my understanding of it is that is is a very short-duration phenomenon and not easily confused with the types of UFOs being discussed in cases like these.

and you still haven't answered my earlier question, so i'll re-phrase, how long do formed aerial plasmas last i.e. maximum duration according to you?

and do you seriously believe that 6 decades ago he had all the answers as to what uaps could or couldn't do?

These were UAPs, as anyone can see, and were sometimes even called that at the time, but they certainly weren't the same kind you're thinking of. LOL Not even close.

and you still haven't answered my earlier question, so i'll re-phrase, how long do formed aerial plasmas last i.e. maximum duration according to you?

Of a sample of 130 cases of ball lightning observed since 1986, none of the plasmas lasted much longer than 10-15 seconds and many even less than that. They explain very few UFO reports for that reason. It would be almost impossible to confuse this with the kind of UFO cases I posted on here.

"The very short duration of ball lightning reflects its instability. In 34 % of the reported cases, the objects were only visible 1-3 seconds; 24% of the reports speak of a permanence of 3-5 seconds, and 19.5 % of 5-10 seconds."

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=6&ved=0CFEQFjAF&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.karl-heinz-hentschel.net%2Fballl.html&ei=QE2wUIiTNIKo8QSxwYGQDg&usg=AFQjCNG48SfRl5wXYQ75-KJ6r_sGCpRe8g&sig2=ylqYfLEM_y4MzMs-nqfujA

About 70% of these ball lightning cases are reported in the summer months as well.

Edited by TheMacGuffin

Ball lightning looks like this, and is almost always very short duration--usually seen during thunderstorms. It is also relatively rare.

Or it looks like this--again, very short duration.

[media=]

Edited by TheMacGuffin

Upper atmosphere plasmas look like these, although these are also short-duration events, like ball lighting. It's easy to say these are the same things as UFOs, but there's not much proof for this. It's like comparing apples and oranges.

400px-Upperatmoslight1.jpg

As far as I'm concerned, it's up to mcrom901 to explain to me specifically which of the UFO reports I've posted on here can be explained as ball lightning or upper atmospheric plasmas, and why.

Time to put up or shut up.

Or it looks like this--again, very short duration.

[media=]

[/media]

Is that supposed to be ball lightning?

Sure just looks like fireworks to me.

Or it looks like this, traveling down a power line. I do think you'd be seriously fried if something like that hit you--a crispy critter.

[media=]

[/media] Edited by TheMacGuffin

Damned if I know what all this is supposed to be.

[media=]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=s2nmhT06s-A[/media]

Some of the comments said it was a flare or a Roman candle. Could be.

Edited by TheMacGuffin

Here's one of a weird, fast-moving light in a thunderstorm, almost invisible unless it's greatly slowed down.

[media=]

[/media] Edited by TheMacGuffin

Of a sample of 130 cases of ball lightning observed since 1986, none of the plasmas lasted much longer than 10-15 seconds and many even less than that. They explain very few UFO reports for that reason. It would be almost impossible to confuse this with the kind of UFO cases I posted on here.

"The very short duration of ball lightning reflects its instability. In 34 % of the reported cases, the objects were only visible 1-3 seconds; 24% of the reports speak of a permanence of 3-5 seconds, and 19.5 % of 5-10 seconds."

http://www.google.co...M_y4MzMs-nqfujA

About 70% of these ball lightning cases are reported in the summer months as well.

Ball lighting is typically short lived, yes, but it is hardly the only kind of plasma associated with UAP. Plasmas can range from very small to very large, from no motion to high speed, from white lights, to colored lights, to metallic looking. This is a very versatile phenomena, and durations range from very short to considerably long. Take a look at some of the accounts from Hessdalen for example.

Date: 07.09.2010 Time: 08:55 P.M. Place: Hessdalen

Observers: Jan Moen, Lars Borren and Bjørn Tamlag

The observers where located in the hillside above the common house, when a strong rectangular shaped light light was seen in the north. It has different colours, most yellow and red. The light is a little big strionger at the right side. It is standing still. After about 7 to 8 minutes, it suddenly disappear up to the right (towards east).

Ref. Jan Moen.

Date: 12.01.2010 Time: in the night Place: Hessdalen

Observer: Kjetil Folde and Jannika Grimbe

During the night between the 11. and 12. of January did Jannika and Kjetil see a big light outside their bedroom. In binoculars it looked like a big Christmas tree in different colours, most blue and green. The phenomenon moved extremely slowly toward the north west. It burned out after 1 to 2 hours.

Ref. Kjetil Folde.

And here.

Date: 27.11.2006 Time: Between 05:15 and 05:45 A.M. (UTC: 04:15 and 04:45) Place: Singsås, 28 km northwest of Hessdalen

Observer: Eli Sesseng, – secretary at the church office in Ålen

Eli Sesseng tell: The light was just above the Tågå Mountain – a mountain between Budal and Singsås. My husband and I observed it through our bed room window. Our house is almost straight east of the Tågå Mountain across the valley. It was a huge moving light pulsating. Suddenly after approximately five minutes it started at a very high speed down the mountain side to the forest. It was colorless like an ordinary car light. We could see it towards the forests. I compared the size with the houses at the Mørseth farms which are just south of the sighting site. And it was much larger than the barns and main houses.

It stopped and I went to our study and picked up the binoculars and looked at it. Than it started to act like crazy – it zigzagged up the mountain side again almost at the same path and speed as it moved down and disappeared behind the top of the mountain. Now the colors were red, white and yellow. After approximately another five minutes it turned up again above the top. It hovered down almost to the ground where it stopped for a while. Suddenly it put on a very strong light and we could see the snow shining in the light. I still looked at it through the binoculars and in a split second “it turned off” the light without moving and everything became dark.

I also was outside on the deck listening for any sounds but there were none. When I looked at the clock I realized I have seen it for about half an hour. I was not afraid, only very exited to be one to see this phenomenon.

Locations (Google Earth):

Eli Sesseng’s house:

62°58'8.43'' N - 10°43'15.13'' E

Mountain side:

62°54'5.84'' N - 10°38'14.72'' E

Distance: Approx: 7-9 kilometers

Distance from VistaPoint: approx. 28 kilometers to the North West.

VistaPoint: 62°50'18.90''

JPG-attachments:

Sites. Shows different locations using Google Earth

LightPath: Photo of the mountain side with drawn path seen from the living room.

Ref. Peder Skogaas - Regional NASA-Inspire Coordinator.

There are many other examples as well, including photos and videos. One of my favorite videos here:

Research and analysis projects like those at Hessdalen didn't start until the late 70s and early 80s, and we still have an awful lot to learn about them. Relying on studies done from the 40s, 50s, and 60s which supposedly "ruled out" the possibilities of plasmas is simply short sighted. As new information comes to light we should begin to expand upon the conclusions reached in those earlier studies.

This isn't to say that any given sighting from antiquity must be plasmas, but rather that any studies from those times ruling out this possibility were done from positions of relative ignorance and therefore not as conclusive as some may think.

Cheers.

Edited by booNyzarC
  • Like 2