Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

NZ 'Lord of the Rings' Volcano erupts

Karlis

New Zealand lies on the so-called "Pacific Ring of Fire"

A New Zealand volcano used as a backdrop to "The Lord of the Rings" films erupted on Wednesday, spewing a column of ash three kilometers (1.9 miles) above the North Island, scientists said. Source

• Like 2

I hope the Hobbits are ok.

• Like 2

I hope the Hobbits are ok.

I hope it didn't belch that silly ring back out

""It was completely unexpected, there were no warning signs beforehand, a spokeswoman for official monitoring service GNS Science told AFP."

An unexpected party?

""It was completely unexpected, there were no warning signs beforehand, a spokeswoman for official monitoring service GNS Science told AFP."

That's weird -- a couple days earlier I was reading that the observers were monitoring activity, and expecting an eruption.

That's weird -- a couple days earlier I was reading that the observers were monitoring activity, and expecting an eruption.

That was for Mt Ruapehu, which is a few kms from this one. Both are being monitored ATM and people are being advised to stay away. Ruapehu last erupted in the 90's with spectacular explosions,

• Like 1

Nooooooo! This is going to cause major upset to the Hobbit-themed tour schedules.

This shouldn't cause any disruption. The only thing that is closed is the hiking track over the mountain, and theres pressure to reopen that.

Is it Sauron back, upto his old tricks again,I thought Frodo and Samwise sorted him out.Maybe we should contact Gandalf,anyone know his cellphone number ?