Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Society of the Cincinnati

Corp

Recently read an article on the Society of the Cincinnati and thought I'd bring the topic up (sadly the article isn't online as of yet). Found the topic interesting so thought I'd share.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Society_of_the_Cincinnati

The Society was formed as kind of a private club for American and French officers who fought during the American Revolution. Enlisted men, militia members, and civilians couldn't join and member often passed to the first son, expect for a brief period when it was stopped to keep Washington happy. This, along with opinions from members that a republic couldn't work and the general population shouldn't have a say in running the country, caused people like Jefferson and Franklin to believe that the Society was plotting to establish a monarchy with Washington as king.

Naturally this didn't happen and later Jefferson and Franklin became honourary members of the Society. Members also played an important role in in the western expansion, getting plenty of land and riches along the way, so sure there was some back room benefits for members.

Interesting. I think many things like this ,are lost in antiquity ,as time passes ,and things change. I've never heard of this at all .

I don't blame them for being suspicious of a monarchy since secretes breed suspicion.

Also never heard of this before.

Firstly i'm fully aware of the Society of Cincinnati. however i will have sympathy with George Washington, and even if i come from London, there is no sour grapes, he was truly a great man of democracy, i really don't care he was a mason and involved in hermetic study, and indeed Washington DC has many alignments to Sirius and Alnilam, if there is corruption it happened after he died!

Firstly lets put you on a time capsule to the 18th century, George Washington went to good schools, indeed most universities at that time were mostly involved in "CLASSICAL STUDY", looking at history of the Romans and Greeks, look at below:-

http://britlitwiki.wikispaces.com/Classical+Education+in+the+Eighteenth+Century

I'm against empires and have great sympathy with George Washington in his fight against England and democracy for America against English Taxes!

I'm fed up with Bible Belt stuff, lets look how great he was!

Please have sympathy with him with his schooling....it was all Classical Education, when he was chosen to lead America, he looked for a role model in "Classical Education".....actually he found a great role model that he followed!

His role model was Lucius Quintus Cincinnatus, a great role model, both were farmers, both really didn't want to get involved in war, it was thrust on them, and when they won the war, they didn't become dictators, they left to become humble farmers again.....thats so good!!!!!

Lets look at the ancient model that Washington followed:-

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cincinnatus

You may want to scroll down to "LEGACY",

The last two paragraphs on link below may ring a bell:-

http://www.hereditary.us/cin_history.htm

So what he had some ancient beliefs, he was truly a great man....and that comes from someone who lives in London!!!

But perhaps corruption happened after that we must investigate in moderation, but lets be clear, i'm not about talking to Bible Belt, that's too fundamentalist for me to consider!

• 1 month later...

Hah! Found this site/topic while doing a little research...

Folks (corp in particular) might be interested in this book I co-wrote... appropriately enough, entitled Cincinnatus... a thriller about said secret society...

• 1 month later...

Thanks for posting this topic. I'd like to see the article that you're referring to once it is posted on the net. I have been researching the Society of the Cincinnati, too, for the past couple of years since I started doing genealogy. I had a couple of family members who were original founding members of the society and, apparently, I still have distant cousins in my family tree who are members of it today. This group is probably one of the best-kept secrets in American history.

From everything I've read about the Society of the Cincinnati, it appears that it was formed (and still operates) as America's secret aristocracy. (They're the U.S. version of Downtown Abbey.) After the Revolution, many people believed that the experiment in democracy would fail and that the U.S. would devolve into a monarchy. The Society of the Cincinnati was set up to be the "American House of Lords" if that happened. As the most prominent, elite group of revolutionaries, they would be America's Earls, Dukes, Knights and Barons. That's why Thomas Jefferson detested the group.

You cannot join the Society of the Cincinnati; you're born into it. If your family did not receive an invitation more than 200 years ago you're basically out of luck. Like the European aristocracy, membership in the society is based on primogeniture. When one member of the group dies, his seat in the "American House of Lords" is passed to his eldest son and heir. Since the American democracy was successful, the Society of Cincinnati shifted gears and evolved into what is probably America's most exclusive "Old Boys Networks." Since the group's members and their families fancied themselves to be “aristocrats,” they would only marry into the other “aristocratic” and powerful families. That holds true even today. They remain a close-knit group of powerful, wealthy men who still wield a lot of influence in American politics and society. Throughout the group's history members have been congressmen, senators, governors, ambassadors, generals, and the titans of Wall Street. They have their fingers in just about everything and still have some pull.

• Like 1

• 11 months later...

The book I mentioned previously... is here:

*Link removed. See post below.*

For those of you interested in the 'Secret' Society of the Cincinnati!

Edited by kmt_sesh
Advertising

Moderator's note:

Posters are reminded about Rule 1a

][/b]
  • 1a. Advertising: Do not use the forum to advertise a product, site or service.

Rules.

Thanks.

kmt_sesh

Edited by kmt_sesh
  • Like 1