Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Knowing the mind of God

Grandpa Greenman

To begin to know the mind of God you spend time with God. Because of the "Spirit" - the word of God (the bible in this case since this is what the posters question is about) is illumined. When reading the word of God in spirit, we interpret the meanings deep within ourselves. This is one of the way God talks to us. I believe that the bible is imparted by the divine and that there is a certain spirit at work that helps us understand it. I say this in no offense, and hope you will not be offended by it, the bible is written for the Christian. If you get nothing out of it, then it is not for you. I personally have gotten and continue to get revelation from it. It helps me in my spiritual walk. There have been times in my life that it meant absolutely nothing to me, there have been times that I hated it, but then there are times that it has helped me blossom and grow spiritually to a major degree and there is nothing I would trade in life for that. We will never know the "full" mind of God, but as Christians it is our desire to. The bible teaches us to "seek first the kingdom of God" and to "seek the face of God" these things are intrinsic to us, we search ourselves, we learn from others. In my understanding, all that has been created comes from the mouth of God, all things manifested are the living word of God. We can get revelation from much more than "the bible", the mind of god is eternal and everywhere, but we as an individual cannot handle all that. We only have our own minds, and as we try to be more like Christ, and only in humbleness and reverence to the divine do we begin to cultivate that. This same understanding is portrayed in other religions as well, its just that Christians have a specific book...

I shouldn't say that it is written only for the christian. There are actually many people who read it for the purpose of spiritual growth who do not ascribe to Christianity. But these spiritualists who do gain wisdom from the bible usually have understanding of Christ and of broad spiritual concepts that stretch beyond just religion...

• Like 1

as for Knowing the Mind Of God - that is the eternal search and continual growth toward holiness... Yes it is very possible to gain access to the very heart and mind of God. It is different for the individual, it is always evolving. It is a personal faith walk for the individual. For me, I can say God is with me all the time and my mind is the mind of God because he gives me all of my thoughts. I continue to get revelations through dreams, nature, human relations, reading (not only the bible, but yes also the bible), watching, learning, praying, etc...

• Like 1

If there is a god, can a human actually say they know his mind? Even using a so called sacred text, has the question of its origins and intent of author.

I am glad you used the word "if".

There is a saying: You talk to God, you're religious. God talks to you, you're psychotic.

So "if" i could read this alledged gods mind, I would never tell anyone, I really would not want to live the rest of my life in a straight jacket.

Darkwind

Great I know the eastern religions as well, from the esoteric beliefs to fundamental beliefs.

Although some eastern religions today are polytheistic, believe me when I tell you this, that's not how they started, nor do their own scriptures preach a pantheon of gods.

I think this example will suffice, Hinduism is the oldest religion we know, today's it's polytheistic, pantheistic, and panentheistic in some aspects. However the truth of the matter is within the scripture itself, the Vedas which are highly esteemed books in the religion, clearly say that, "god is one, there is no other, no, no, no", it also says that graven images or idols of god should be made. Now the question arises, if that's what the scripture preaches to Hindus, then why over 3000 gods? It's down to tribal conquests, agendas, and delegation of godly duties to demigods and manifestations of Brahman.

Check most of these if not all polytheistic faiths, they all preach one true god only worthy of worship!

I'm not familiar with the vedas. Where it says "god is one, there is no other, no, no, no" does the context imply there is no other god, or just no other? Could it be interpreted to mean that there is no other in that we/everything is all part of god? I know there are a couple of people who could probably answer my question. As for religion, historically, if they want to be meet the spiritual needs of the current population wouldn't those institutions have to evolve along with other institutions? If our knowledge and understanding of geography, culture, history, family roles, psychology, medicine, science. etc continues to grow & change, then does religion need to evolve in order to be pertinent?

In my experience there are several ways to know the mind of god. First we can know it as we know the mind of other humans, via what they say, and how they act We can know god's mind via what god says, and how god acts.

Second, we can know it via god's direct communications with us. These can take the form of words, images, or knowledge implanted direct from god.

And third, and apparently the rarest, is direct access to the mind of god, via sharing the cosmic consciousness. In this form, one's mind opens to the awareness of god within and without. it is like linking via the internet to wikipedia. In pre internet days I used to explain it like being on a partyline telephone to god. One can share at least some of god's knowledge using this access.

One can also link with other minds near and far (and i mean galaxies away) and also link to human consciousnesses stored in the cosmic consciousness after the death of the host body. ie the remnant consciousnesses of people from the past.

I am glad you used the word "if".

There is a saying: You talk to God, you're religious. God talks to you, you're psychotic.

So "if" i could read this alledged gods mind, I would never tell anyone, I really would not want to live the rest of my life in a straight jacket.

Of course if god actually exists you are not psychotic at all, but very lucky. And they dont put you in a straight jacket these days for an ongoing dialogue with god. :innocent: It is considered to be within normal parameters for a human being to do so.
  • Like 1

If there is a god, can a human actually say they know his mind?

No..In fact I have never believed a single one, that claims they do ..

But isn't that the point of most religions? Love us self and others can come from reason, too. But there is a lot of other baggage with religions that have little to do with self love and empathy. If it comes from a sacred book you believe is the word of god is that the word of a god, too? Oh dear, a conundrum.

I don't believe that love of self and others come from reason, it is not reasonable at all. If someone really does love self and others then it may indeed come from something other, perhaps both trancedent and immanent. In countries where atheism rules, there seems to be little love....not a jibe against atheist per-se (well there is little love in me), but it just is. North Korea for instance.....true there is personality worship, but that is what happens when personality becomes the highest life in the universe, in the end, someone has to control all the other little gods. For myself, I have little love of myself or others, though I try to be a decent human being, and fail most of the time.

Dang, I thought you might be one of the few who do ;;-))

Of course if god actually exists you are not psychotic at all, but very lucky. And they dont put you in a straight jacket these days for an ongoing dialogue with god. :innocent: It is considered to be within normal parameters for a human being to do so.

No straight jackets, but loads of medication.

I understand the novel called the Bible says god made man, considering each man has his own thoughts, then if he can read gods mind, it would differ with everyone.

So say ten men were reading gods mind at the same time, does this mean god can have numerous different thoughts at the same time?

We can know god's mind via what god says, and how god acts.
What does god say?
Second, we can know it via god's direct communications with us. These can take the form of words, images, or knowledge implanted direct from god.
You know god communicates with you because it comes from god. That's circular reasoning.

Besides this is like saying mental illness comes from god.

I'm with you, Becky's Mom. In fact, when I hear that claim I usually hear it as a warning that the human is about to express THEIR will.

• Like 1

The mind of god could not fit in a human brain. I'm not sure why anyone thinks they know it. Scripture I think only offers glimpses at conceptual spirituality not literal.

My own experiences leave me in awe of the great spirits incomprehensible nature. Beautiful and vast yet personal and loveing like a small child loves its parent.

Try explaining yourself to your dog or even a grasshopper and I think you will get a glimpse of why we cannot possibly know what god is thinking.

I just bought my seven year old a microscope. We have been looking at little organisms in water. He asked me if they can hear us. Mabey I said. But there is no way for them to understand.

They can only respond and understand within their own world.

Edited by Seeker79
  • Like 2

Dang, I thought you might be one of the few who do ;;-))

I would make the claim IF I were a few sandwiches short of a picnic .

• Like 1

I'm with you, Becky's Mom. In fact, when I hear that claim I usually hear it as a warning that the human is about to express THEIR will.

I usually hear it from the mad folk, that crave attention

No straight jackets, but loads of medication.

I understand the novel called the Bible says god made man, considering each man has his own thoughts, then if he can read gods mind, it would differ with everyone.

So say ten men were reading gods mind at the same time, does this mean god can have numerous different thoughts at the same time?

Yes.

And to answer your first point; no medcation either. Modern professional psychiatrists accept that communion with god is a natural part of the human psyche and self awareness.

Strange because God's will is not this universal idea we need to figure out. It is far beyond our comprehension. All we can know is God's will with us. Some of us are fortunate enough to receive God and His guidance. The key is to be humble and willing. When you die and go to heaven and stand before God, he will not say to you "So tell me about everyone else? What did they do while you were there?" You will be answerable for your own sins and no one else's.

Strange because God's will is not this universal idea we need to figure out. It is far beyond our comprehension. All we can know is God's will with us. Some of us are fortunate enough to receive God and His guidance. The key is to be humble and willing. When you die and go to heaven and stand before God, he will not say to you "So tell me about everyone else? What did they do while you were there?" You will be answerable for your own sins and no one else's.

This is, in part, true and understandable. it is the same with our communication with any other sapient self aware entity. For example my relationship with my wife, my brother, or a friend, is unique to me.

No one else can have the same relationship with them . With god it is a little bit different because a human being can share the consciousness of god as he shares our consciousness, and thus have a shared understanding of and with, him. But again, as every human mind is different, the understanding of the nature of god will be unique to each human being.

• Like 1

This is, in part, true and understandable. it is the same with our communication with any other sapient self aware entity. For example my relationship with my wife, my brother, or a friend, is unique to me.

No one else can have the same relationship with them . With god it is a little bit different because a human being can share the consciousness of god as he shares our consciousness, and thus have a shared understanding of and with, him. But again, as every human mind is different, the understanding of the nature of god will be unique to each human being.

When you are open you can receive the connection. I feel sad for those who have blocked their ability to receive with bitter name calling and insults. I can't imagine living a life filled with such hostility. It must be a somber place to be. Filled with erratic anger and damaged relationships. I know so well over time what this looks like. It is especially hard on children in such homes. And so this is why I think God reaches those who are in need or lost or victims. God finds a way. It will always be individual to the person and God's will with you. It is a blessing.

What does god say?

You know god communicates with you because it comes from god. That's circular reasoning.

Besides this is like saying mental illness comes from god.

God says many things. He gives wisdoms, teaches, offers words and emotions of comfort, makes promises and carries them out. He gives physical emotional and intellectual strength, courage, joy, tranquilty, peace and love. He gives visions of alternative futures. He allows communication with other minds and awaenes of the time and space around you.

You can read some of the things god has told me directly in other posts but what would be the point. You wil chose ot disbelieve.

God is a label like dog. God doesnt call himself god. God is a name humans give such an entity, and I use it to allow communication with other humans.

No names are needed in any form of communication with god, just as i dont use names when talking to other people I know well. I call him mate as much as anything. But he is powerful interventioist caring and a teacher so i interact with him with caution and respect. And god has no gender because god is not human or anything like human; but again I use "he" for convenience and because the correct term, "it" carries less respect in the english language.

God is a "universal" consciousness, with the ability via biological or technological knowledge to be able to manipulate time space mater and energy basuically at will. He can penetrate and permeate our physical bodies and our minds to alter them, direct them, but mostly to empower, improve, and educate us.

• Like 1

When you are open you can receive the connection. I feel sad for those who have blocked their ability to receive with bitter name calling and insults. I can't imagine living a life filled with such hostility. It must be a somber place to be. Filled with erratic anger and damaged relationships. I know so well over time what this looks like. It is especially hard on children in such homes. And so this is why I think God reaches those who are in need or lost or victims. God finds a way. It will always be individual to the person and God's will with you. It is a blessing.

To me, being "god blind" is like being physically blind. You can't sense feel or see, what is right there in front of you.

I dont really know what it is like to be separated from god because i have been connected to this source from my earliest memories, even when i had no conception that it was god, and simply thought that all humans shared this connection to the universal consciousness. Even as an atheist /secular humanist, i had the connection without understanding what it represented. As a teenager, and a reader of all marvel comics, I thought it was a sort of "spidey power" and never gave god a thought.

• Like 1

This is true for me as well. I have had moments where I felt God wasn't there. It was an abyss of misery. So when I see those who have God blindness I feel frightened for what they must experience in life. And no matter how often those have tried to convince me that everything is fine and wonderful. I have seen the darkness there. They admit there is a darkness there.

*snip*

Circular reasoning. I wonder if God communicates better than you can.