Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Serbians told Vampire is on the loose

Stonecoldvampzy

That would probably be a good way to flush a vampire out, If everybodys reeking of garlic but one person may not be it might be odd

Definitely. No snogging with non-garlic breaths, they could be vampires :D

Reminds me of a real custom in some Bosnian Serbian villages. When you enter the house, they offer you a welcoming drink. Stiff drink. Not to detect a vampire, but a Muslim.

The original Serbian welcoming custom involves offering “slatko” (sort of jam), carefully served, with little consuming ritual to be followed. Good host guides you through it. Very cute piece of old times to experience.

This other ritual with hard liquor is not so cute when you know what its purpose is. It’s also quite useless because Bosnian Muslims are not that prude about alcohol.

Anyway, since I didn’t want to have a generous shot of fruit brandy on empty stomach, they thought there could be something Muslim about me. War was just about to break out and it was the face of my hostess that made me realize the war will break out. It wasn’t just a damn shot of brandy, it was the chasm suddenly opening between us.

Damn the history and damn the interesting times.

Maybe I should have kept that for myself, but somehow it fits into this topic. Useless things people do to repel someone who isn't who they think he is.

Do chicken kievs have the same effect? I like those.

Oh, no. Only raw garlic repels vampires.

So while cooked garlic keeps some of its antibacterial, fungicidal, blood pressure lowering and other properties, it loses its magical properties.

Magic doesn’t yield to common sense. So for magical protection, you don’t have to actually consume garlic, you can simply carry a clove in your pocket.

But that’s not how it’s done by the old belief, what you really need is a sharp, pointy knife or an axe and you have to either hit the exact spot on the back of the vampire’s neck, either chop his whole head off. The upside is, vampires are thought by some Slavic tribes to be only sacks made of human skin, full of blood, so it’s actually easier to chop their heads off. It’s questionable if such vampires have the soul of the former inhabitant of that body, it’s possible that such sack of blood is not a person anymore, but moves on devil’s remote. Or something.

Others believe vampire’s weak spot is in the abdomen, or right in the heart, and that’s why “killing” a “vampire” would turn into massacre fest. People were simply not sure what exactly is the right way, so they’d apply it all. Everything anyone ever heard, with every tool or weapon they had. Stab, pierce, chop, burn, pour holy water... hell, let’s add some stones on the dismembered, charred and blessed remains to make sure he won’t creep out again.

Somehow, that thoroughness unsettles me more than reports of possible werewolves that could be only wild boars or vampires that could be only regular ghosts.

• Like 1

Definitely. No snogging with non-garlic breaths, they could be vampires :D

Reminds me of a real custom in some Bosnian Serbian villages. When you enter the house, they offer you a welcoming drink. Stiff drink. Not to detect a vampire, but a Muslim.

The original Serbian welcoming custom involves offering “slatko” (sort of jam), carefully served, with little consuming ritual to be followed. Good host guides you through it. Very cute piece of old times to experience.

This other ritual with hard liquor is not so cute when you know what its purpose is. It’s also quite useless because Bosnian Muslims are not that prude about alcohol.

Anyway, since I didn’t want to have a generous shot of fruit brandy on empty stomach, they thought there could be something Muslim about me. War was just about to break out and it was the face of my hostess that made me realize the war will break out. It wasn’t just a damn shot of brandy, it was the chasm suddenly opening between us.

Damn the history and damn the interesting times.

Maybe I should have kept that for myself, but somehow it fits into this topic. Useless things people do to repel someone who isn't who they think he is.

Oh, no. Only raw garlic repels vampires.

So while cooked garlic keeps some of its antibacterial, fungicidal, blood pressure lowering and other properties, it loses its magical properties.

Magic doesn’t yield to common sense. So for magical protection, you don’t have to actually consume garlic, you can simply carry a clove in your pocket.

But that’s not how it’s done by the old belief, what you really need is a sharp, pointy knife or an axe and you have to either hit the exact spot on the back of the vampire’s neck, either chop his whole head off. The upside is, vampires are thought by some Slavic tribes to be only sacks made of human skin, full of blood, so it’s actually easier to chop their heads off. It’s questionable if such vampires have the soul of the former inhabitant of that body, it’s possible that such sack of blood is not a person anymore, but moves on devil’s remote. Or something.

Others believe vampire’s weak spot is in the abdomen, or right in the heart, and that’s why “killing” a “vampire” would turn into massacre fest. People were simply not sure what exactly is the right way, so they’d apply it all. Everything anyone ever heard, with every tool or weapon they had. Stab, pierce, chop, burn, pour holy water... hell, let’s add some stones on the dismembered, charred and blessed remains to make sure he won’t creep out again.

Somehow, that thoroughness unsettles me more than reports of possible werewolves that could be only wild boars or vampires that could be only regular ghosts.

What I have trouble with is that they think this vampire is all nicely dressed and stuff, I mean sure It would make it easier to get into peoples houses If you had to be invited in, But I mean in my mind a vampire is a plague type of disease and they wouldnt be dressed so Nicely, they would be more like animalistic creatures.

What I have trouble with is that they think this vampire is all nicely dressed and stuff, I mean sure It would make it easier to get into peoples houses If you had to be invited in, But I mean in my mind a vampire is a plague type of disease and they wouldnt be dressed so Nicely, they would be more like animalistic creatures.

Exactly.

After all, Vlad Tepes, Romanian count that was the inspiration for modern Dracula, certainly wasn’t dressed in tux or – god forfend – shining in the light. Maybe Vlad and his vampiric offspring follow fashion to suit the socially acceptable image of current era (who in their right mind would let a guy in the armour inside their house in the middle of the night?), but traditional vampires usually are dressed in their funeral clothes. Which makes them easy to spot and too eerie to invite anywhere.

There are many versions of folk images of vampires, and they are in some places the same or very close to werewolves.

From actual people you used to know before they un-died, over more-less humanoid (pointy ears, mind you), then more-less hairy entities, to hardly material entities.

They are also shapeshifters, though that ability varies too. Some can take forms of animals, some can even turn into inanimate objects, like barrels or haystacks (I’m as befuddled as you are with that turning-into-haystack superpower).

For example, in Herzegovina, it was a sure sign you have an undead preying on you if the noises can be heard from your wine cellar at night. Now, that I get. Housekeeper must kill the vampire that is rolling around among barrels, so he doesn’t attack someone. In other words, whack the guy that has broken into your cellar and then say with straight face he was a barrel at the time you hit him.

It doesn’t work like that anymore, of course.

It’s interesting you mentioned you see vampires as a type of plague. There’s strong resemblance between vampires and embodied plagues in folk descriptions - expressionless or with expressions inappropriate for the specific moment, more or less determinably skewed in appearance (dimensional shift, anyone?), too fast, too slow, appearing at night, having powers to go unnoticed or put living beings to sleep, leaving no tracks, leaving animal tracks, definitely leaving track of dead bodies...

In some areas, the plague is Kuga (Plague), an old, scary woman that comes at night to inspect the house and if she finds it untidy, she will take lives of those who live in it. Fresh water in clean bowl, combs and clean towels, preferably nicely embroiled, were left for Kuga at tables, like Westerners today leave cookies for Santa.

Only Santa won’t make you die in boils if you fail to present those cookies. But he evolved in the same way Kuga or vampires did. Only he evolved in modern, consumerist times, while deathbringers evolved in stern old times of constant epidemics, wars and barrels rolling in the night ;)

Edited by Helen of Annoy

See my idea is that vampires would not just blend in with society because they have characteristic differences than us, so they would mainly come out at night and feed then. But have you read the series Guillermo del Toro has about vampires? I think its called The Strain Its fairly good in my opinion

Edited by R4z3rsPar4d0x

I practice a form of Vampyrism . . . we are alive and well all over the world.

What is this form of vampirism, if you don't mind explaining. I'm curious.

What is this form of vampirism, if you don't mind explaining. I'm curious.

When practicing Left Hand Path Magick/Ritual it is essential to use the energy from what many would consider ‘negative’ archetypal imagery. Examples would be Ahriman, Lilith, Azazel, Tiamat, even the fictional Old Ones of H.P. Lovecraft's Cthulhu mythos (Cthulhu, Yog-Sothoth, etc). Predatory Spiritualism is harnessing the life-energy of these archetypes to further the Magick/Ritual.

When practicing Left Hand Path Magick/Ritual it is essential to use the energy from what many would consider ‘negative’ archetypal imagery. Examples would be Ahriman, Lilith, Azazel, Tiamat, even the fictional Old Ones of H.P. Lovecraft's Cthulhu mythos (Cthulhu, Yog-Sothoth, etc). Predatory Spiritualism is harnessing the life-energy of these archetypes to further the Magick/Ritual.

Ok, in layman terms, does it mean you are taking energy from the archetypes to use in spells? Forgive me of I'm using incorrect terminology, I'm just trying to learn this.

Ok, in layman terms, does it mean you are taking energy from the archetypes to use in spells? Forgive me of I'm using incorrect terminology, I'm just trying to learn this.

LOL! I guess I didn't have to overcomplicate my explaination!

See my idea is that vampires would not just blend in with society because they have characteristic differences than us, so they would mainly come out at night and feed then. But have you read the series Guillermo del Toro has about vampires? I think its called The Strain Its fairly good in my opinion

Never heard of Guillermo’s Strain. If I had some free time, I’d definitely take a look, but there’s so much everything else the vampires will have to wait.

I support vampires from ethnographic point of view. Following trail of their stories though centuries and cultures can be very interesting and can lead you to endless number of other, seemingly unrelated discoveries. (For example, you can clearly see what tribe came from which area based on variation of a vampire they brought along.)

And that’s about it. I had mind so open it almost fell out, and I believe in every weirdness I’ve seen, but sadly, I never, ever saw a classic, bloodsucking, embodied vampire or anyone that qualifies as such.

Obviously, energetic vampirism, both in psychological or personal belief sense, is something completely else. Emotional parasites are a matter of the fact, while vampirism as magic paradigm is a matter of personal spiritual choice. Can’t possibly make the world any more miserable than Abrahamites did, so if you ask me... let people vampire on :D

Edit: this is hilarious... I wanted to check what is the right spelling for Abrahamites and if that word exists in English in the first place... and Google refuses to give me anything but Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter :lol:

The world has officially ended. Yesterday. :lol:

Edited by Helen of Annoy

Never heard of Guillermo’s Strain. If I had some free time, I’d definitely take a look, but there’s so much everything else the vampires will have to wait.

I support vampires from ethnographic point of view. Following trail of their stories though centuries and cultures can be very interesting and can lead you to endless number of other, seemingly unrelated discoveries. (For example, you can clearly see what tribe came from which area based on variation of a vampire they brought along.)

And that’s about it. I had mind so open it almost fell out, and I believe in every weirdness I’ve seen, but sadly, I never, ever saw a classic, bloodsucking, embodied vampire or anyone that qualifies as such.

Obviously, energetic vampirism, both in psychological or personal belief sense, is something completely else. Emotional parasites are a matter of the fact, while vampirism as magic paradigm is a matter of personal spiritual choice. Can’t possibly make the world any more miserable than Abrahamites did, so if you ask me... let people vampire on :D

Edit: this is hilarious... I wanted to check what is the right spelling for Abrahamites and if that word exists in English in the first place... and Google refuses to give me anything but Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter :lol:

The world has officially ended. Yesterday. :lol:

I hear yeah there is a LOT of vampire dare I say crap in the media these days, and it seems like everyone has there own version of what a vampire should be. I can see why this monster is so famous and theres all of this hoopla over it. I cant stand the vampires as a sex symbol thing thats where I draw the LINE.

LOL! I guess I didn't have to overcomplicate my explaination!

hehe... no problem. But, is my paraphrase correct?

I've never heard of the Left Hand Path and I'd like to learn more.

• Like 1

This Sava Savanovic, if he is an authentic legend what is his story? Is he actually more well known there than Arnod Paole?

• 1 month later...

is it really a vampire?i believe in the paranormal and supernatural and etc.that would be cool though seeing a vampire.I'm not saying its not true but i ain't saying i believe it at the moment.but i do believe in vampires and werewolves and etc though.are you guys sure its a vampire for real?vampires are cool though.the only thing i like is that they don't get old LOL or age.and for the guy with the wasp or hornet picture telling me I'm off topic please leave me alone I'm just speaking my mind.Freedom Of Speech.but i have never heard of him I'm going to look more into it.

Edited by King Cobra 1408

• 4 weeks later...

Heard this tonight on Coast to Coast. I know that Serbia and the Balkans are rich in vampire lore, but is it really still taken seriously there? Travel warning: Make sure you obtain garlic and bring your crucifix. :o

crucifix....hmmmm could there be a jewish vampire or buddist or even atheist? Would the crucifix work on them? Wow atheist vampire, nothing would work on them...

hehe... no problem. But, is my paraphrase correct?

I've never heard of the Left Hand Path and I'd like to learn more.

Yes, we use the energy from archetypes in magickal work
  • Like 1