Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Did you ever hear about Synchronicity?

Big Bad Voodoo

One of the psychiathrist in Croatia wrote a book. In the book she invented fictional charachter Arthur which was cat. He used it as analogy to describe something. Anyway, she decide to go for a walk. She went outside and walk. She notice one cat. She come close to cat when kid appear and claim that her cat. Woman ask kid cats name. And kid answered: Arthur.

Now thats synchornicity, term coined by Carl Gustav Jung afterone event. Now I will quote wiki:

In his book Synchronicity (1952), Jung tells the following story as an example of a synchronistic event:

A young woman I was treating had, at a critical moment, a dream in which she was given a golden scarab. While she was telling me this dream, I sat with my back to the closed window. Suddenly I heard a noise behind me, like a gentle tapping. I turned round and saw a flying insect knocking against the window-pane from the outside. I opened the window and caught the creature in the air as it flew in. It was the nearest analogy to a golden scarab one finds in our latitudes, a scarabaeid beetle, the common rose-chafer (Cetonia aurata), which, contrary to its usual habits had evidently felt the urge to get into a dark room at this particular moment. I must admit that nothing like it ever happened to me before or since.

Synchronicity is the experience of two or more events that are apparently causally unrelated or unlikely to occur together by chance, yet are experienced as occurring together in a meaningful manner. The concept of synchronicity was first described in this terminology by Carl Gustav Jung, a Swiss psychologist, in the 1920s.

Synchronistic events reveal an underlying pattern, a conceptual framework that encompasses, but is larger than, any of the systems that display the synchronicity. The suggestion of a larger framework is essential to satisfy the definition of synchronicity as originally developed by Carl Gustav Jung.

Jung coined the word to describe what he called "temporally coincident occurrences of acausal events." Jung variously described synchronicity as an "acausal connecting principle", "meaningful coincidence" and "acausal parallelism". Jung introduced the concept as early as the 1920s, but gave a full statement of it only in 1951 in an Eranos lecture and in 1952, published a paper, Synchronizität als ein Prinzip akausaler Zusammenhänge (Synchronicity — An Acausal Connecting Principle), in a volume with a related study by the physicist (and Nobel laureate) Wolfgang Pauli.

It was a principle that Jung felt gave conclusive evidence for his concepts of archetypes and the collective unconscious…

Following discussions with both Albert Einstein and Wolfgang Pauli, Jung believed that there were parallels between synchronicity and aspects of relativity theory and quantum mechanics.

Jung was transfixed by the idea that life was not a series of random events but rather an expression of a deeper order, which he and Pauli referred to as Unus mundus.

Whats your opinion about it? Any exprirences?

• Like 1

I finally have a word for all the crazy "coincidences" that have happened to those I know and myself.

I do believe that these things do happen for a reason.

• Like 1

Synchronicity? Sounds like one of those Politically Correct dancy-dancy boy bands that infect X-Factor from time to time!

• Like 2

Hi, L

That's a nice introduction. You might want to check out apophenia, too.

If I may comment about something you said:

Following discussions with both Albert Einstein and Wolfgang Pauli, Jung believed that there were parallels between synchronicity and aspects of relativity theory and quantum mechanics.

Jung certainly did work with Pauli (both as a patient and as a collaborator... and depending on where the thread goes, there are some stories about Pauli that may be relevant), and Einstein nominated the younger Pauli for the Nobel Prize.

Jung and Einstein, who are nearly contemporary, are known to have met early in the Twentieth Century, 1909-1913, and Jung found this stimulating, of course. But I am unaware of any discussion between them about synchroncity, which even as a concept dates from the late 1920's and the term to 1930. Jung himself in a letter to Carl Seelig (an Einstein scholar) on February 25, 1953 distances the meetings in time from the concept, while still acknowledging some influence:

Professor Einstein was my guest on several occasions at dinner ... More than thrity years later, this stimulus led to my relation with the physicist Professor W. Pauli and to my thesis of psychic synchronicity.

I am unsure that the sentence I quoted from your post says anything different :), but it does seem a bit odd to lump Pauli's intense and formative involvement in with Einstein's peripheral influence, and just call them both "discussions."

Anyway, it is an interesting subject to say the least. I hope you enjoy exploring it.

Oh my where do I begi? At some points in my life I seem to tap into the synchronicity ocean. I have got stories that at the time made me think I was going insane.

I have even had strings of syncronistic events leading me to read about Jung a syncronicitiy.

From my journals

-----------------

Donnie Darko syncronocity

This syncronocity started as a result of makeing some posts on an unexplained mysterys forum. A young man contacted me after reading some of my posts on astrial

Travel. He asked me if astrial travel could help with a problem he was having with hair loss. He was told there was nothing he could do so he wanted to find some alternative methods. So I told him I'm sure if he learned how to travel spirits could help him. He was excited.... I thought it was done. Later that night an old student of mine came in. I had not seen him in a year. We were just talking and then I noticed that he was starting to experience some severe hair loss. He is a rocker kid and has always warn his really long. He showed me how severe it was. It was bad. For some reason I just assumed the guy on the forum was female...... I don't know why. And I said somthing like don't worry whatever happens you will still be beautiful trying to be encourageing ( funny now cause it was a guy). Then later after meeting with my student.... His name is Shannon, I reposted telling the guy that I'm sorry for whatever reason I assumed he was female. Then it occured to me this could very well be Shannon. It all made sense and syncronicities attack me like this. So I reposted hey you don't have long hair do you, and if you don't mind what is your first name. I thought for sure it was him. The cadence of his writting the syncronicity of the events. 

The guy replied quite indignated . I'm male, I have 5 cm long hair, and my name Is Darko. Bye!

He thought I was trying to be some cuooky psycic. I also thought darko was a very strange name. Never herd of it before. I figured he was just giving me some name. Maby he was. 

Hmmmm. Ok that was odd, never had syncronicities play out like that before. It was just beginning.

The next morning I was walking by mothers room......she lives with us. On her television was the menu screen for a DVD, and across the screen in big etherial white letters are the words DARKO. Donnie Darko 

Oooooop here we go. I end up watch watching he movie of course. It's a fictional psycological thriller. I'm not gonna give it away you can watch it for yourself. 

I was so overwhelmed watching the movie I was moved to tears. Here's why. the movie pretty much is about a young man following odd occurances and syncronicities to lead to a greater godd.... Hey is kind of going crazy. But that is not all. There is a fictional book in the movie (fictional being it's not even a real book......invented by the director I think) called "the philosophy of time travel" in it talks about the targeted person finding some sort of artifact blade. (during my crisis I found a clovis spear point) I have it now. There was also a tremendouse amount of imagry from some important journies I have taken onthe spirit world. I mean exact imagry. One of me brought me to my knees crying. At the end of the move there is a tornato or vortex surrounded by mountains. I have dreamt about tornados in mountains all my life. Even when I was a child. Just as it showed in the movie. At this point i am in just awe.

I get on the Internet of course. I have to research this movie. I know of course that it is just a movie but he syncronicities must be looked into. I find the six page prop book " the philosophy of time travel" and there are quite a few things that blatently jump out, but I don't know what it means. So I type in something like books and syncronicities to search for something. Of course Jung pops up everywhere. I research a little bit about him, and I come to the revelation that I am supposed learn everything about his research and writting. I'm reading now.

Believe me I know how fantastic it all sounds but that's the way it went down. Im not that creative to make it up. Infact that's the way it always goes down every time the Other world wants to show me something complicated. Simple things they do in the spirit world. Sometimes they last days other time weeks.  

Edited by Seeker79
  • Like 3

I had a vision, during meditation, of a farm close by my house. They have a creamery there as well(I'll refer to it as the "Ice Cream Farm"). I saw a lone tree, no leaves. It looked like it was early spring(even though this happened in the summer), as there were no leaves on the ground, and the grass was a very vibrant green.

The next day, heading to work(foggy), I had my eye out for this tree, which I had never taken notice to before. Sure enough, it was there, even though I had never conciously taken notice to it. When I got home, that night, my girlfriend says to me "did you see the awesome effect caused by the sun and the fog on the tree-line at the "Ice Cream Farm" this morning?"... I couldn't do much of anything, but smile!

The following day, I was looking around that area on my way to work and I saw a sign at the edge of the corn field(the one that tells the name/strain of crop) right by this tree. The word at the top, in bold print, was "Envision".

A few days later, I was looking online at chakras and I was reading about the heart chakra. It was described as being "vibrant green"(much like the grass that I had seen).

• Like 2

I follow the signs.

Synchronicity to me has given me the feeling that I am on the right path.

I have always loved the feeling it gives you. When the stars align or all the lights turn green as you drive past.

• Like 1

Jung certainly did work with Pauli (both as a patient and as a collaborator... and depending on where the thread goes, there are some stories about Pauli that may be relevant), and Einstein nominated the younger Pauli for the Nobel Prize.

Jung and Einstein, who are nearly contemporary, are known to have met early in the Twentieth Century, 1909-1913, and Jung found this stimulating, of course. But I am unaware of any discussion between them about synchroncity, which even as a concept dates from the late 1920's and the term to 1930. Jung himself in a letter to Carl Seelig (an Einstein scholar) on February 25, 1953 distances the meetings in time from the concept, while still acknowledging some influence:

I read somewhere that Einstein was very interesting in synchronicty idea. I realy love Carl Gustav Jung. When he first time met Freud they talk 13 hours as nobody bussniess.

Whats your explaination? Signs? Do you follow them? Ignored them...Maybe they are there just as reminder. Maybe we dont need to follow them. Did they help you with your self awerness?

Whats your explaination? Signs? Do you follow them? Ignored them...Maybe they are there just as reminder. Maybe we dont need to follow them. Did they help you with your self awerness?

Oh yes. They are bread crumbs .... attention grabbers. They also have multiple contexts.

Synchronicity happens to me all the time. Sometimes I take it as confirmation of a thought or notion, sometimes I just have to ignore it and add it to my overall experience, sometimes I have to shrug it off all together. There have been times that it has been so severe that I couldn't even tell people about it, unless they were of spiritual mind because it is just too crazy. I think overtime I will start being able to discern better what some of it means. Some situations are conclusive but others are TOTALLY not. Sometimes I think I shouldn't even be reading into it at all, just take notice and let the cards fall as they may...

I should at least journal the experiences though. It does make for some interesting reading and maybe after looking back on it over time I will get revelation from it. I just am somewhat disorganized and need separate folders for all this stuff and don't always have time to record. But I should. I really should. It kind of reminds me of dreaming. Its like there's little messages in it, sometimes you can figure it out, sometimes you can't and sometimes its scary.

these sorts of things happen frequently to me. i kind of like when it happens, but i don't really delve too much into it.

if it were the same thing happening more than once in a row that might freak me out.

these sorts of things happen frequently to me. i kind of like when it happens, but i don't really delve too much into it.

if it were the same thing happening more than once in a row that might freak me out.

Yes... Try haveing weeks at a time filled with them. I used to question my sanity when they would start up. But I just let it be now and see where it takes me. It always has an interesting end.

I have even had strings of syncronistic events leading me to read about Jung a syncronicitiy.

I must have missed this the first time I read your post. After I logged off last night I was thinking about the synchronicity events that lead me to Jung (and his text about synchronicity) But that happened to me too! lol - I was actually very excited when that happened.

Edited by SpiritWriter

Thinking about Synchronicity helps me to realize that what we come across, our individual paths are purposeful and meant specifically for us. Our friends are sent to us, our adversaries, our revelations, our texts for reading, our temptations, our struggles... (etc)

• Like 1

Yes... Try haveing weeks at a time filled with them. I used to question my sanity when they would start up. But I just let it be now and see where it takes me. It always has an interesting end.

yeah that would freak me out.

Yes, synchronicity could be related to how everything in the universe is connected in some way. I believe everything is related and contained in a "cosmic consciousness" and perhaps that cosmic consciousness allows for some events or things to happen or synchronize at once, at random times.

Yes, and my mind always tend to thing "What does it MEAN???" A few things have taken years to start to figure out, some are immediate, in your face like BAM, but most are still singular pieces to a very curious puzzle. Perhaps, perhaps, perhaps I am getting better at it, or will be getting better at it.... or perhaps not...

Does it even matter??????? Oh the spiritual world is so confusing...

But actually, somethings only take a couple of days or a few weeks to figure out...

some things*

then I'm like, but is that GOOD or is it BAD.... most likely neither, since I didn't have any control over it anyway....

or its Good, and then I'm glad.

or its bad and then I have to analyze it and go into prayer...