Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Red Algae at Bondi Beach. 'Blood Water'

DKO

SEVERAL popular Sydney beaches, including the iconic Bondi, resembled scenes out of a apocalyptic film today after an algae bloom turned the water blood red.

Patches of the red algae, a natural phenomenon that can be exacerbated by certain weather conditions, were sighted between Bondi Beach and Maroubra Beach this morning.

http://www.perthnow....r-1226524729541

043235-algal-bloom.jpg

045106-algal-bloom.jpg

Edited by DKO

We get that in Florida sometimes. Kills a lot of fish. I think pollution plays a role in it as well as weather.

Red tide is a common event and makes fish inedible and beaches are usually closed for swimming.

Biblical stuff!!!!

Not really, just a natural phenomena...

• Like 1

I once had a 15 gallon fresh water aquarium I was cycling turn blood red overnight, and just as suddenly the next day it was clear again. I believe the organisms responsible are dinoflagellates, but I did not expect to see them in fresh water or an aquarium. As they are know to give off toxins I did several water changes before adding any fish.

These red tides can be deadly to sea life. Once while in Sarasota, Florida I saw first hand what one can do, thousands of dead fish, crustaceans, mollusks, and other organisms dead and rotting all over the beach. The stench was terrible and the red tide itself makes it hard to breath and burns the eyes if you are near the water.

• Like 1

I once had a 15 gallon fresh water aquarium I was cycling turn blood red overnight, and just as suddenly the next day it was clear again. I believe the organisms responsible are dinoflagellates, but I did not expect to see them in fresh water or an aquarium. As they are know to give off toxins I did several water changes before adding any fish.

These red tides can be deadly to sea life. Once while in Sarasota, Florida I saw first hand what one can do, thousands of dead fish, crustaceans, mollusks, and other organisms dead and rotting all over the beach. The stench was terrible and the red tide itself makes it hard to breath and burns the eyes if you are near the water.

If that's so, then humans' action is not responsible for these red tides, right?