Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Carl Sagan Called it an Abomination

and-then

http://www.law.indiana.edu/fclj/pubs/v47/no3/tomlin.html

I remembered this topic from years ago and wondered if anyone else had heard of it? And what do you think of the idea? It is possible to place banner ads in orbit - I think it would be outrageous!

• Like 1

I am disgusted by this idea. I would hate to think of looking up at the night sky to see an advert telling me to drink coke. Especially when large parts of my country have classified as "world heritage night sky reserve" .

My Dad's mate looks after Japanese exchange students. He told me that on the first night, a particular student went missing. They searched around the house and finally found him lying on the ground in the back yard looking at the night sky open mouthed. He explained that he never thought there were that many stars and was blown away.

Just imagine seeing man made objects catching the sun in high orbit instead of natures beauty.

Edited by Professor Buzzkill
  • Like 5

Not liking it . Somehow distasteful . It's one thing to muck up our own air space,another to muck up the final frontier .

It's like the planned Virgin strip clubs on the moon .ugh .

• Like 2

They can put them up there only as long as I can use my giant space gun to shoot them down.

• Like 3

it's a ******* abominable idea.

The Yanks can pollute their own skyline until the cows come home, but the moment their bull**** affects MY stargazing then there's a problem.

• Like 2

it's a ******* abominable idea.

The Yanks can pollute their own skyline until the cows come home, but the moment their bull**** affects MY stargazing then there's a problem.

I expect it was conceived as a multinational effort since it was estimated at 15-30 million per ad. It was quietly abandoned at the time but I fear it could come round again at some point.
  • Like 1

If they do that then i will become a hardcore enviormentalist. That just crosses the line.

We get bombarded with ad's all the time as is.

Whats next carving a giant pepsi logo on the face of the moon. :(

I expect it was conceived as a multinational effort since it was estimated at 15-30 million per ad. It was quietly abandoned at the time but I fear it could come round again at some point.

So, I still have time to ready my giant space gun?

*PULL!*

Edited by Likely Guy

I hope not. I can't imagine looking up and seeing a giant Pepsi logo instead of the moon and stars. I hereby pledge to never buy any products from any company that advertises in space.

On a related note though, didn't pizza hut get a lot of buzz for having thier logo on a shuttle or something? Or was that just a rumor?

• Like 2

Not sure, but I think commercial advertisement in orbit to be viewed un-aided on Earth is banned, at least by some countries.

But I can just see it: A big sign circling the earth saying "JIHAD ! " :w00t:

Edited by pallidin
  • Like 1

I hope not. I can't imagine looking up and seeing a giant Pepsi logo instead of the moon and stars. I hereby pledge to never buy any products from any company that advertises in space.

On a related note though, didn't pizza hut get a lot of buzz for having thier logo on a shuttle or something? Or was that just a rumor?

Nope, that was true. But I wouldn't shoot it down.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Space_advertising

Edited by Likely Guy

If it's a choice of neon banners advertising Nike shoes or covergirl makeup versus a network of satellites containing multiple individually targetted nuclear warheads...umm,

I'll take shoes for $500 please Alex.

Thats the last thing I need in my life another flipping commercial, god at what point does mankind stop and say Maybe we shouldnt do this. :td:

• Like 2

Man, & I thought it was difficult enought to see all the star now because of Light Pollution. Now I'm going to look & see "Always Coca Cola Enjoy"

The constelation Mc Donalds...

No WAY!!

I hate this Idea..!!

What star-sign are you??

Dunno, Burger king I think....

Edited by Professor T
  • Like 4

Does this remind anyone else of Futurama?

Or Heinlein's, "The Man who Sold the Moon". :)

I've never read it, now I want to.

Edited by Likely Guy
  • Like 1

I bet Google'll leap at this idea.

• Like 1

They would have the cash to pull it off too....

This is where greed has come to? It's not enough to invade our homes with their incessant telemarketing clap trap now I have to be confronted with ads while stargazing? These people need to be locked up for the good of mankind, they are not sane to think we are there as a "potential opportunity" for them to make a buck every which way we turn in life.

• Like 2

Or Heinlein's, "The Man who Sold the Moon". :)

I've never read it, now I want to.

You should read it... It's a really good book... I would also recommend his book "The Moon is a Harsh Mistress"... It's not about ads and money and such but it's about Earth side corporations/governments thinking they own the Lunar colonies and can do what they want with them, with no thought to the colonists needs or wants...

Astronauts in the ISS have full access to the internet, so when they browse Google or Facebook for family contact, no doubt they see the same type of user targeted advertising as us.

So I suppose you could really say space is already seeing our advertising.

Astronauts in the ISS have full access to the internet, so when they browse Google or Facebook for family contact, no doubt they see the same type of user targeted advertising as us.

So I suppose you could really say space is already seeing our advertising.

Uh, they DO NOT have full, unrestricted access to the Internet.

It's a security precaution for very good reasons.

Uh, they DO NOT have full, unrestricted access to the Internet.

It's a security precaution for very good reasons.

I understood they did have full access, but that their connection was highly filtered through an interface to ensure no malicious content.

I stand corrected. I may have misunderstood the extent of the filtering.

LEO full on Add`s ? Where will it start,and End ? WHo will be first to start the race? We already have too much junk in orbit to put any more into orbit ! Lets just pray that the guys with the brains stop this in the bud !