Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

English is a Scandinavian Language

Karlis

This entire topic is double Dutch...

and what is this "Hadaway an divvent tark umptybacked" google does not even see what language it is :wacko:

That my friend is a common language in the North East of England, but as poor old Google is American they wouldnt have a clue..Translated it means "go away and dont talk rubbish".This language is spoken by about 2 million people.Cheers.

That my friend is a common language in the North East of England, but as poor old Google is American they wouldnt have a clue..Translated it means "go away and dont talk rubbish".This language is spoken by about 2 million people.Cheers.

and i still have problems with there and their, were and where and witch wich is which. madness, madness.......

Hartelijk dank,Goedenacht .......Vielen dank,Gutenacht.....Is there a bit of German in your Dutch, or a bit of Dutch in your German ?......Thankyou very much,Goodnight

It's a Germanic language, right? So yeah, of course.

Hartelijk = herzlich

Real german language is long dead. Latin alphabet degraded the original languages and scripts of northerners.

When was the last time you read and spoke German?

But yeah, we don't use runes anymore.

English is in reality a Scandinavian language.This breaks with what other language researchers believe

"Modern English is a direct descendant of the language of Scandinavians who settled in the British Isles in the course of many centuries, before the French-speaking Normans conquered the country in 1066," says Faarlund. He points out that Old English and Modern English are two very different languages. Why?

"We believe it is because Old English quite simply died out while Scandinavian survived, albeit strongly influenced of course by Old English," he says.

Read more here

The reason why when you read an English sentence and compare it to a German one that there is so much difference is many of our present day English words are Norman.

There is very little Sandinavian at all.

and i still have problems with there and their, were and where and witch wich is which. madness, madness.......

I noticed many here have, even if they are British or American.

"There" > Dutch : Daar

"Their" > Dutch : van hun, hun

"Were" > Dutch : waren

"Where" > Dutch : waar

"Witch" > Dutch: heks

"Which" > Dutch: welk

But we here have the same problems:

Dutch: bank > English: (1) bank / (2) couch

Dutch: niet > English: (1) not (2) staple, clamp

Dutch: net > English: (1) just, just so (2) nicely, beautifully (3) tidy, fine (4) net, web, mesh

And so on.

• Like 1

Dutch: niet > English: (1) not

Which is one of those words that show European languages had one origin. нет (nyet) no. молоко (moloko) milk is another good example

Think of these two words like this. There = its way over there. Their = They can't make up their minds You forgot they're which is the one I still get mucked up with at times. lol

English is a Scandinavian language?

This doesn't surprise me too much, because Old English (Anglo-Saxon) is almost identical to modern Icelandic.

Here is a poem by Egill Skallagrímsson in modern Icelandic, Old English and modern English

Modern Icelandic:

Það mælti mín móðir

að mér skyldi kaupa

fley og fagrar árar,

fara á brott með víkingum,

standa upp í stafni,

stýra dýrum knerri,

halda svo til hafnar,

höggva mann og annan.

Old English:

Þæt mælede mín módor

þæt me scolde ceapian

flæge and fægra ára,

faran aweg wið wícingum,

standan úppe in stefnan,

stíeran deorne cnear,

faran swá tó hæfene,

héawan man and óðer.

Modern English:

Thus counselled my mother

For me should they purchase

A galley and good oars

To go forth a-roving.

So may I high-standing,

A noble barque steering,

Hold course for the haven,

Hew down many foemen.

Edited by TheLastLazyGun

This poem isn't a great example, as most of its words are related to sailing, an area where the Old Norse influence of Old English was particularly strong.

Also, Old Norse and Old English are not that far from each other from the get-go and Icelandic is basically Old Norse with a words for television and helicopter.

This poem isn't a great example, as most of its words are related to sailing, an area where the Old Norse influence of Old English was particularly strong.

Old English is definitely very similar to modern Icelandic.

Here's a poem in Old English and modern Icelandic that is NOT about sailing - the Lord's Prayer:

Old English

Fæder úre, þú þe eart on heofonum,

sí þín nama gehálgod, tóbecume þín ríce,

geweorþe þín willa on eorþan swá swá on heofonum.

Úrne gedæghwámlícan hláf syle ús tó dæg

and forgyf ús úre gyltas swá swá wé forgyfaþ úrum gyltendum

and ne gelæd þú ús on costunge ac álýs ús of ýfele.

Modern Icelandic

faðir vor þú sem ert á himnum

sé þitt nafn helgað til komi þitt ríki

verði þinn vilji á jörðu svo svo á himnum

vorn daglegan hleif sel oss í dag

og fyrirgef oss vorar skuldir svo svo vér fyrirgefum vorum skuldunautum

og né leið þú oss í freistniheldur leys oss af illu

(Mostly) modern English

Our Father, who art in heaven, hallowed by thy Name.

thy kingdom come, thy will be done,

on earth as it is in heaven.

Give us this day our daily bread.

And forgive us our trespasses, as we forgive those who trespass against us.

And lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from evil.

Edited by TheLastLazyGun

Yes, "Ee, ba goom!" is often heard in Minnesota....

Old English is definitely very similar to modern Icelandic.

Here's a poem in Old English and modern Icelandic that is NOT about sailing - the Lord's Prayer:

Old English

Fæder úre, þú þe eart on heofonum,

sí þín nama gehálgod, tóbecume þín ríce,

geweorþe þín willa on eorþan swá swá on heofonum.

Úrne gedæghwámlícan hláf syle ús tó dæg

and forgyf ús úre gyltas swá swá wé forgyfaþ úrum gyltendum

and ne gelæd þú ús on costunge ac álýs ús of ýfele.

Modern Icelandic

faðir vor þú sem ert á himnum

sé þitt nafn helgað til komi þitt ríki

verði þinn vilji á jörðu svo svo á himnum

vorn daglegan hleif sel oss í dag

og fyrirgef oss vorar skuldir svo svo vér fyrirgefum vorum skuldunautum

og né leið þú oss í freistniheldur leys oss af illu

(Mostly) modern English

Our Father, who art in heaven, hallowed by thy Name.

thy kingdom come, thy will be done,

on earth as it is in heaven.

Give us this day our daily bread.

And forgive us our trespasses, as we forgive those who trespass against us.

And lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from evil.

Overwijn_Menapian2.jpg

English is a Western Germanic language; Scandinavian languages are North Germanic. I assume this similarity is mostly reflected in similar grammatical structure. Obviously a lot of our modern vocabulary is Latin in origin. I believe this was due to the Norman (French) Conquest in medieval times. However, anyone who's learned a romance language can tell you that English is not very similar to French, Italian, Spanish, etc. in terms of verb conjugation and tenses (with English being much simpler) or even in terms of word order--in English adjectives come before the nouns they describe; in Spanish, it is the opposite.

• Like 1

Some linguists felt English is half-Romance due to the origin of a large percentage of words came from French, a descendant language of old Latin of the Roman empire, noting the Roman colony presence of pre Anglo-Saxon England (Britannica). The English language should have a Celtic component from the Britons whom lived there before the Romans arrived, but the language wasn't much influenced by Celtic after the long period of Roman and the final conquest by Angles, Saxons and Jutes from Northern Germany with adjoining Denmark as places of origin.

And the first ancestral peoples of Britain and Ireland - the Picts are thought by some geneticists to be ethnolinguistic cousins of the Basques, there has been study on the genetic origins of the Irish to have a 90-95% common genetic link with the Basques and pre-Roman Iberians in Spain and Portugal as well with France (the Basque country in southwest parts of the country), but too little remains of the Pictish language.

The English we speak should contains any immemorial words traced to any language previously spoken in the British isles and for Scandinavian linguist influence to be detected in English should shown Danish origins of the Jutes from the Jylland peninsula of Denmark. The Jutes actually share more language commonalities with the Dutch and Frisians whom live farther north in the Netherlands and northwest Germany, so the English language should belong to the Nederlandic instead of German (Low) and Scandinavian-Danish realm of linguistics.

Edited by Tsa-La-Gie Oyate

I guess it would be a good idea to buy an Oxford English Dictionary,they are not too expensive.cheers.

Think of these two words like this. There = its way over there. Their = They can't make up their minds You forgot they're which is the one I still get mucked up with at times. lol

They're is differerent from there/their, as they're means "they are" ,same as we're (we are)...you're (you are) etc. no offence meant.

Perhaps a bit offtop, but still about English. Can it be explained were US Southern accent comes from, why is it so distinctive that non English native speakers can clearly hear a difference. And by the way, it is a wonderful accent