Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Most powerful black hole blast discovered

Still Waters

A giant black hole blast five times more powerful than any previously seen, ejecting 100 times the energy of the entire Milky Way, has been discovered.

Astronomers analysed the energy being carried away from a huge quasar – the bright centres of distant galaxies which are powered by supermassive black holes and spew out vast amounts of matter.

Scientists have long claimed that extraordinarily powerful quasars must exist and play a key role in the formation of new galaxies, but until now none had been discovered which came close to their predictions.

http://www.telegraph...discovered.html

• Like 1

great article. Think of the sun hitting you in the face on a beautiful day, now multiply that heat by 2 trillion. That quasar is putting out a lot of heat. It is spewing out the equivilent of 400 of our suns per year. This is a great view of how a feeding black hole can actually create the birth of 10-100 new galaxies. Just imagine how massive that black hole really is as it swallows up more mass than it is spewing out along the quasar jets.

Edited by Pyridium

great article. Think of the sun hitting you in the face on a beautiful day, now multiply that heat by 2 trillion. That quasar is putting out a lot of heat. It is spewing out the equivilent of 400 of our suns per year. This is a great view of how a feeding black hole can actually create the birth of 10-100 new galaxies. Just imagine how massive that black hole really is as it swallows up more mass than it is spewing out along the quasar jets.

That gave me the goosebumps

Didn't Hawking say that Black Holes ain't so black? I guess we are lucky there isn't one too close to our solar system.

Classically, Quasars derive their energy from the accretion disk surrounding a Black Hole (normally a Supermassive Black Hole) so what they are feeding on is material gathered by the Black Hole - not from matter being ejected by a Black Hole (Hawking Radiation). This is very different from the OP.

• Like 1

Can someone please explain how something comes out of a black hole when I've always thought that everything gets sucked into one?

• Like 1

Can someone please explain how something comes out of a black hole when I've always thought that everything gets sucked into one?

See post #5 above.

:tu: