Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Where do athiests think we came from?

iforgot

The funny part is, you still think that maybe one day science WILL prove god.. I'd love to know how you think that may happen :P

As I see it, science can never prove that God doesn't exist - but could provide evidence that he does. This is probably the single biggest reason why I'm an atheist.

For example, if it's the God of the Bible you believe in, then you believe in a personal God who takes interest in all of us, can and does intervene in the world, answers prayers, etc. He may not be of this universe, but he can and does act within it. This should be detectable in some way. In fact research has been done on this - eg, does praying for someone who is ill lead to more favourable outcomes. I'll bet you can guess what the findings of those studies were.

So, science could find God. Hasn't yet. And I won't hold my breath.

• Like 1

As I see it, science can never prove that God doesn't exist - but could provide evidence that he does. This is probably the single biggest reason why I'm an atheist.

For example, if it's the God of the Bible you believe in, then you believe in a personal God who takes interest in all of us, can and does intervene in the world, answers prayers, etc. He may not be of this universe, but he can and does act within it. This should be detectable in some way. In fact research has been done on this - eg, does praying for someone who is ill lead to more favourable outcomes. I'll bet you can guess what the findings of those studies were.

So, science could find God. Hasn't yet. And I won't hold my breath.

I wont hold my breath either..C235 was the one putting out a suggestion that one day science will prove god I was reacting to this post..I put it to him - If they do prove god? What would happen? and so on

One day science will find God, add some scientific name & characteristics to it & then tell us " I told you so!" :mellow:

If they do prove god? What would happen?

They'll be more than a few of us trying to think up some good excuses. :whistle:

• Like 1

They'll be more than a few of us trying to think up some good excuses. :whistle:

I'd laugh at you all..I'd laugh harder if god came and said ...Who is Jesus? I have no son lol :P

• Like 1

1. Your video doesn't address modern materialism, that is everything is derived from matter and energy. Perhaps you should look up String theory?

2. Eyes senses the light and register colour. There is no problem once you understand the biology of the eye.

1. Oh I see so Quantum Mechanics is from the middle ages is it? (Hahahahah)

2. How is this mysterious property called colour passed from the eye to the brain when the optic nerve only conducts electrical signals?

Photons come in different wavelengths not colours.

A short wavelength is gamma radiation and a long one is radio waves.

In the middle your eyes can detect a short range of wavelengths

When they do an electrical signal is sent to the brain

You brain creates colour from those electrical signals.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Color_vision From the third line I quote 'a human's perception of colors is a subjective process'. Its you that needs to study biology not that I havent pointed this out to you on previous threads (hahahahaha).

The mother and the father come together to make baby = family of three lol :P

So because science invented technology to test and prove the paranormal and it hasn't proved it as yet... this is not progress? Of course it's progress, they are not there yet, but still progressing.. If they never so much as made a move to try, then you could say no progress.. The christian scientists feel they too made progress lol

I did ? Really ? I could have sworn the only person that tried to make that claim was in fact...........

This is your post below right?

In fact when I read that sentence, I thought was a typo due to how it was written.. I had to ask you what you meant by - > Science's all attempts were futile?

Well you were the only one that first suggested that maybe science will prove god.. What you cannot grasp,is if they did, they would have to observe god in order to prove god for the world to see..

Science studies , tests, experiments and observes., that's how it works

I was not trying to confuse everything.. I read your post ( pages back ) where you had said, see below

I put it to you that if they do prove god, they would have to be able to observe god for all to see... God then becomes part of the natural world and so on Personally, I do not believe they will prove god, I was going along with your hopes that they will one day prove god is real.. Like you say above - I told you so .. My question to that is - Why would science after proving god, say I told you so? Science do not claim there is a god and want people to believe .. Unless you speak of Christian scientists ?

No results means No progress in my opinion. Why so touchy? Imagine me for instance trying to make you understand :D My trying doesn't mean i have progressed.

What's the point of this really. you keep repeating yourself claiming you know better than me what i have wrote. How many times have you butchered my sentences manipulating words to prove yourself. LOL & a new question. How many question have you extracted from one single sentence?! Whats the point when you hold no value to the integrity of your stance.

Then your god isn't real, either, by your weird ass definitions of things. He's just an idea, and as we have seen ( ;) ) ideas aren't real!

My definition of God is of the non-duality variety not the Christain one.

The only thing that actually exists is mind. The ideas, beliefs, knowledge, information and perceptions it contains arent objectively real they are subjections.

In a materialist society your are taught that an external reality (outside of your mind) exists and that you are the end product of it (atoms arranged in a certain order). As such your are led into the delusion (without realising it) that you are the sum of your own perceptions. The result is if you have negative thoughts the health of your mind quickly deteriorates.

It is your mind that creates perceptions not perceptions which have created the mind. If you step back and take an unbiased stance you would be able to see that perceptions exist outside of your head. Colour being the perfect example. The reason why perceptions exist outside of your head is because reality and the mind are not two seperate things.

And hence we arrive at non-dualism where everything that exists is mind and the idea of seperate parts is an illusion. Me, you, and everything else are not seperate we are all one which is what God is.

2. How is this mysterious property called colour passed from the eye to the brain when the optic nerve only conducts electrical signals?

Photons come in different wavelengths not colours.

A short wavelength is gamma radiation and a long one is radio waves.

In the middle your eyes can detect a short range of wavelengths

When they do an electrical signal is sent to the brain

You brain creates colour from those electrical signals.

http://en.wikipedia....ki/Color_vision From the third line I quote 'a human's perception of colors is a subjective process'. Its you that needs to study biology not that I havent pointed this out to you on previous threads (hahahahaha).

But color "is" real because what the cones in your eye register is whatever wavelength of light that is not absorbed by whatever it is you are looking at. i.e. a red apple is red because it absorbs the other wavelengths and reflects the one we call red. Regardless if someone can see red or if we want to argue what red is, the fact remains that the eye registers a distinct wavelength for different colors.

No results means No progress in my opinion ( snip)

You cannot achieve anything without trying... It's debatable if they have made progress... Some believe they have proof of the paranormal, some are still doubtful Christian scientists believe they have come far.. Do you believe they have?

How many question have you extracted from one single sentence?!

As I clearly pointed out earlier.. They were in fact two sentences you wrote, I gave two separate questions ...Because you put two sentences in the same post, doesn't make it a complete sentence..Short paragraph maybe, but not a sentence

My definition of God is of the non-duality variety not the Christain one.

The only thing that actually exists is mind. The ideas, beliefs, knowledge, information and perceptions it contains arent objectively real they are subjections.

In a materialist society your are taught that an external reality (outside of your mind) exists and that you are the end product of it (atoms arranged in a certain order). As such your are led into the delusion (without realising it) that you are the sum of your own perceptions. The result is if you have negative thoughts the health of your mind quickly deteriorates.

It is your mind that creates perceptions not perceptions which have created the mind. If you step back and take an unbiased stance you would be able to see that perceptions exist outside of your head. Colour being the perfect example. The reason why perceptions exist outside of your head is because reality and the mind are not two seperate things.

And hence we arrive at non-dualism where everything that exists is mind and the idea of seperate parts is an illusion. Me, you, and everything else are not seperate we are all one which is what God is.

Take it to the philosophy forum.

• Like 1

But color "is" real because what the cones in your eye register is whatever wavelength of light that is not absorbed by whatever it is you are looking at. i.e. a red apple is red because it absorbs the other wavelengths and reflects the one we call red. Regardless if someone can see red or if we want to argue what red is, the fact remains that the eye registers a distinct wavelength for different colors.

Colour is not a property of photons its a perception.

If you disagree then why would a colour blind person see blue when you see red? The optic nerve only conducts electrical signals too so if you think colour is real how does it pass from the eye to the brain?

Colour is not a property of photons its a perception.

If you disagree then why would a colour blind person see blue when you see red? The optic nerve only conducts electrical signals too so if you think colour is real how does it pass from the eye to the brain?

Like I said in my post, the rods and cones in your eyes respond to different wavelengths that are interpreted as color.

Like I said in my post, the rods and cones in your eyes respond to different wavelengths that are interpreted as color.

That sounds like you've arrived at colour being a perception.

Now all you need to notice is how colour exists outside of your head and the penny should drop.

That sounds like you've arrived at colour being a perception.

Now all you need to notice is how colour exists outside of your head and the penny should drop.

You're missing the point. Whatever properties we do or do not ascribe to these different wavelengths, there are still different wavelengths. These are not based on our perception.

You're missing the point. Whatever properties we do or do not ascribe to these different wavelengths, there are still different wavelengths. These are not based on our perception.

Photons only exist when they're being measured (last page the Dr Quantum Vid)

And the moon isn't real unless I look at it. *sigh* Forget it.

• Like 1

And the moon isn't real unless I look at it. *sigh* Forget it.

I havent reached my non-dualist stance from igorance.

It came after years of science and philosophy. In the unlikely event someone can present an argument that destroys non-dualism I would listen and go on a search for a new truth.

I dont see how it can be done though. Everything other stance is flawed that I've encountered.

Edited by Mr Right Wing

Now this time use your brain when reading my response.
Digital cameras are magic!!! They can pass this mysterious property using only signals.
http://en.wikipedia....ki/Color_vision From the third line I quote 'a human's perception of colors is a subjective process'. Its you that needs to study biology not that I havent pointed this out to you on previous threads (hahahahaha).

Perception isn't reality, you've already had this pointed out to you. When are you finally going to get it?
  • Like 1

I havent reached my non-dualist stance from igorance.

It came after years of science and philosophy. In the unlikely event someone can present an argument that destroys non-dualism I would listen and go on a search for a new truth.

I dont see how it can be done though. Everything other stance is flawed that I've encountered.

Lmao. You reject natural science for heaven sake. Learn to lie better.

This is what happens when you get your education from YouTube. Haha.

In wave particle duality, photons behave as particles or waves. They are called photons in either case. You've been corrected on this before.

Edited by Rlyeh
  • Like 3

Too funny :P

In wave particle duality, photons behave as particles or waves. They are called photons in either case. You've been corrected on this before.

You've been corrected on this before.

A wavefunction is not a particle. These mistakes about science happen when you dont progress beyond high school.

Edited by Mr Right Wing

You've been corrected on this before.

A wavefunction is not a particle. These mistakes about science happen when you dont progress beyond high school.

You're a fricking genius. THE WAVE IS NOT THE WAVEFUNCTION.

Clueless as ever.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wave%E2%80%93particle_duality

Looking at the sky, watching the stars, then wondering what has given you this intelligence, an intelligence which let you wondering about the existence of the universe that none other animal can. Then you know the answer doesn't even matter. It is it, a power force that can hide its own existence, casting a doubt to keep the balance between faith and science.

It is telling us to look at the future, the past doesn't matter.

• Like 2