Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Policeman gives shoes to homeless man in NY

libstaK

The U.S. news and politics section has been pretty heavy duty in recent times on UM.

Time out for some good news, no matter who you are or what you believe a reminder of who the true heroes in the world are will warm your heart.

A New York policeman has been hailed a hero after he was caught on camera giving a homeless man a new pair of boots on a cold night.

Arizona woman Jennifer Foster captured the officer's random act of kindness on her mobile phone when she visited New York this month.

She said she had noticed the barefoot homeless man asking people for change in Times Square.

"Right when I was about to approach, one of [the New York Police Department] officers came up behind him," she wrote.

"The officer said, 'I have these size 12 boots for you, they are all-weather. Let's put them on and take care of you.'

http://news.ninemsn....ot-homeless-man

Maybe we can't change the world, or even give a homeless man a home, but we can warm a saddened heart and give hope to someone who may have lost hope just the same.

Enjoy :)

Edited by libstaK
  • Like 9

Bravo to the policeman. We all have to do something for our fellow men and i wish more would follow his example. Then, the world will start becoming a better place :)

On the one side, I agree the story is very heart warming.

On the other, I kind of think that this should be the norm, not the exception.

• Like 3

We used to give out free boots, shirts, jumpers even sleeping bags and assorted cold weather gear to homless people when I worked in an army surplus shop a few years back. Lots of the stuff we would buy off squaddies etc was in too poor a condition to sell for any reasonable profit so we gave most of it away to homless people.

I recall giving one man no fewer than 4 pairs of old army boots and 7 pairs of wooly gloves as he kept getting beaten up and having them stolen. By other homeless people.

Gave a man two sleeping bags once one winter after a group of drunk teenagers tried to set him on fire while he was asleep and ruined the first bag i gave him.

• Like 1

Read this on another forum. What an awesome story. More officers should follow such examples of love and humility.

Edit: Had to remove name of site from post.

Edited by Insaniac

More PEOPLE should do this stuff. Doesn't matter if it's a cop, or improves opinions of police.

He's a hero to that homeless man, I suppose, but I wouldn't call him a hero. He's what people are supposed to be. Calling him a hero puts him somewhere above the everyman. And it's just as easy for anyone to do this. Doesn't require hero status.

Hopefully people learn from him. It's really not that hard to be kinda and have some empathy.

If everyone gave a random act of kindness everyday, imagine how this world would be. I'm going to start doing this.

I was thinking the same thing when I read that.