Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

our philosophies

Tr14n913

Let's say, its evening, almost sunset and you are sitting in your garden on your ridiculous ergonomic seat, while you are watching the sunset with your drink in your left hand.

What kind of thoughts would get in to your mind? And what would you think of them?

• Like 1

In answer to your question: 'Our philosophies, what are they good for?' ..... the first thing that springs to mind is: 'Absolutely nothing!'

I am sorry to say that I do actually own an ergonomic stool :hmm: . So here I am, watching the sun go down and the sort of thing that pops into my mind is: 'What's the point?', 'Why?' and occasionally: 'I wish I'd never been born!'. (And yes, these are the 'philosophies' that rule my life :hmm: :hmm: )

Let's say, its evening, almost sunset and you are sitting in your garden on your ridiculous ergonomic seat, while you are watching the sunset with your drink in your left hand.

What kind of thoughts would get in to your mind? And what would you think of them?

I say WTF!!!! Can't believe I exist.

Can I be on a tropical island, instead, with a drink in my hand, looking at a million stars, watching the coconut palms sway with the trade winds, and hearing fish jump in the lagoon, wearing shorts & flip flops in December? My first thought: man, life is GOOD! Second thought: a big thank you to whoever arranged this!

• Like 2

i wouldn't be paying attention to the thoughts in my mind

that is the purpose of my being out watching the sunset in the first place. to quiet my mind

• Like 1

You know, I gotta say, I love life. I think it's a gift, the greatest blessing we have been given, it's to be enjoyed, celebrated. And the diversity is staggering & fascinating, there's so much to learn & experience. Happiness is a state of mind, a philosophy, an attitude, a choice. I don't see the glass as half empty or half full; I'm just happy to have a glass with something in it. My thoughts always run towards gratitude for being given the opportunity to be on this planet at this time with the people I love and who love me, and to experience the beauty in people and the natural world.

Simple enough. My question though involves am I the way I am because of my philosophies or are my philosophies are what they are because of the I am. Which would put me in that exact situation without the ergonomic chair watching the sunset with an alcoholic drink in my hand trying not to ponder life's lmysteries. My exact thought about the sunset would be ooooh pretty.

• Like 1

I love Philosophy as a subject, I think it is very interesting. I was once told that the meaning of life sums up to this: We exist, and therefore we experience - nothing more nothing less. Whether we are faced with pleasantness or with pain and suffering, I think that the above is the only thing that holds true in every case. Sometimes, people with a deep philosophical psyche tend to incline (and almost dangerously too) towards nihilism (What's the point of this existence? Why do I live? What do I gain out of this task or experience? What's the point of it all?) and that's very natural I suppose. I think the point of watching the sunset is just to experience it, the point of holding a drink is to enjoy it, and the point of sitting on the ergonomic seat is to leave behind a nice ass-print as a legacy of that great experience!

So, I wouldn't think much of all that, but maybe wish for something more (as our human nature often drives us to), like perhaps a Jessica Biel or an Emma Watson by my side to share that experience with... :innocent:

Edit: Good thread. I almost forgot to add that.

Edited by dlonewolf85

I would probably just tell myself to enjoy the moment i can think about everything else later. I either do that or if there is one big problem i am trying to solve then that is solely what i think about. Atleas that is what i do when i have my quiet time one or the other :)

I don't think it matters which came first, the point is we can always change what we think & do if our current behaviors don't serve us well. My philosophy keeps changing, as I keep finding patterns of thought & behaviors that do me a dis-service. Sometimes our personal philosophies can become as dogmatic as any religion, at which point often learning often stops.

Nice thoughts everyone, i would think about why there something called life and think why we are what we are, that always keep a itch in my mind, i could have been someone else like Neil Armstrong etc. I could have done things that were supposed to be impossible but instead we are what we are, fascinating how our brain can come up with thoughts, just a wonderful thing created by god or nature.

Predominantly would be thoughts of the beauty of our world and gratitude for being able to appreciate and experience it.

• Like 1

I would be thinking 'why am I holding my drink in my left hand....I'm right handed?'

• Like 2

Can i have it be sunrise instead of sunset? i like sunrise better. . . . thoughts? I think i love the beauty and warmth of a sunrise .

how's that for a philosophy ? :lol:

Can i have it be sunrise instead of sunset? i like sunrise better. . . . thoughts? I think i love the beauty and warmth of a sunrise .

how's that for a philosophy ? :lol:

The world has heard & seen a lot worse philosophies than this, for sure.

• Like 1

Well..I have no seat, drink or garden but...I am sure there would be thoughts running around but I just wouldn't care.

Probably would be thinking, in the back of my mind, that I hope I only have twenty or less years of this boredom to endure.

• Like 2

I would be thinking 'why am I holding my drink in my left hand....I'm right handed?'

haha That crossed my mind when I read it too, but only because I am left handed and it seemed out of place to read it there.

• Like 1

Simple enough. My question though involves am I the way I am because of my philosophies or are my philosophies are what they are because of the I am. Which would put me in that exact situation without the ergonomic chair watching the sunset with an alcoholic drink in my hand trying not to ponder life's lmysteries. My exact thought about the sunset would be ooooh pretty.

?¿? ok . . that's it Jinxdom .. your cut off bud :lol:

• You're not me, and we are not the same.
  • Yes, I completely agree with you as far as my not having enough resolve to see this thing to fruition,
  • alone.
  • What's that you say, then why are we still bound through conversation no matter what dissipated time we manage to sustain?
  • Lol, simple: I love the confusion of your disputability for my vainglory as much as you love my ignorance thereof
  • : Thereof the connection between you, I and the contradiction of the onlooker e.g: Why are you really reading this, right now?

Eureka, but how the hell can I simplify this?

edit: **** you, i'm drink

Edited by Three

edit: **** you, i'm drink

Haha! you really are, aren't you? :lol: