Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Apps, Apps and mor Apps....................

Myles

Since it is so time consuming to try out most apps, I thought a thread needed to be started for us to recommend apps that we feel are good.

I would be interested in a game that is engaging, but does not have an option to purchase extra stuff (gems, coins or whatever). I even tried a football app that had the option of paying $10 to gain extra skills. I don't pay for extras, so I cannot compete against other online players. It seems most games are this way.

As far as what I can recomment:

Iphone:

Worldcard - allows you to take a pic of a business card and it will automatically (and accurately) add all the info to your contacts. I love this and it's free.

Mapmyhike - records and maps you from start to finish (doesn't have to be a hike).

Speedometer - There are several of these which work very well. It was neat while taking off on a plane.

Army of Darkness Defense - Pretty neat and addicting

Lapse It - Time lapse pic taking. You can set it to snap a pic as little as every 2 seconds. Then it will play it like a video (or GIF file). Pretty cool to see how I flip flop at night while sleeping.

Action Movie - Just cool

Dropbox - Of course this made the list

Android:

I'll post some Android later as I don't have a device with me.

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Myles

• Bonecrusher

• Biff Wellington

• sarah_444

I love my GasBuddy and it's available for both Android and iPhone. It allows you to find gas by entering a zip code or if you have your gps turned on, it will simply find what's nearest you within a decent radius of your location. When gas prices fluctuate so often, it's a handy app to have, for sure!

I love my GasBuddy and it's available for both Android and iPhone. It allows you to find gas by entering a zip code or if you have your gps turned on, it will simply find what's nearest you within a decent radius of your location. When gas prices fluctuate so often, it's a handy app to have, for sure!

I forgot to add that one. It is fast, simple and accurate. I use it weekly.

This is my personal favorite app, TuneIn Radio. It gives access to every radio station in the world & even Internet stations. It even plays previously recorded sessions like, DJ Shadow's Boiler Room Set & Old episodes of Darkness Radio & The Paracast.

I love the Gas buddy app too. I have more kid friendly apps on my phone than regular ones, but I use Songza almost everyday. It plays ad free streaming music and you can choose your playlist based on specific moods or activities. The only downsides I've found so far is you can only skip a certain amount of songs per hour and you can't search for specific songs to hear. But the playlists are pretty good and you can save your favourite ones. (I think it's similar to Pandora but since I live in Canada and don't have access to it I can't compare)

I'm pretty sure you can search an artist but it will just give you playlists they are featured in along with similar artist playlists.

This is my personal favorite app, TuneIn Radio. It gives access to every radio station in the world & even Internet stations. It even plays previously recorded sessions like, DJ Shadow's Boiler Room Set & Old episodes of Darkness Radio & The Paracast.

Might need to try this. Shadow woo. What's sound quality like?

Words with Friends...

Face distortion apps...

Anything to do with quizzes,pool,snooker and astronomy.

Btw I wouldn't want to mess about with the police scanner one for too long.

Talk about playing with fire!

Edited by Walnut Whip

Words with Friends...

Face distortion apps...

Anything to do with quizzes,pool,snooker and astronomy.

I believe it is legal in the states. Not in a vehicle in some states though.

I believe it is legal in the states. Not in a vehicle in some states though.

Well I'm no ambulance chaser or gumshoe...

However the case is moot because I live in the UK.

I'll leave it to the ones who do get a real kick out of it.

I'm staying well away.

Well I'm no ambulance chaser or gumshoe...

However the case is moot because I live in the UK.

I'll leave it to the ones who do get a real kick out of it.

I'm staying well away.

i think it is more a curiosity for me. If you see a bunch of fire trucks go by and you want to know why.

i think it is more a curiosity for me. If you see a bunch of fire trucks go by and you want to know why.

I would say it would be morbid curiosity.

But who's to say I won't do the same.

Anything to break the daily grind will bring out the voyeur in us.

It's a part of human nature.

I understand it is completely legal unless you go to the crimes reported on the scanner. Just listening in is ok.

As for apps.

Both

Osmos

Great, an atmospheric, fluid game which gives you control of an organism which propells itself through water by sacrificing a part of it by shooting it off, the force pushing it in the opposite direction. Winner of multiple game of the year awards, a great ambient soundtrack an an all round calming experience. An absolute must have. The Android version has a demo version you can try out. It is also available on pc.

WhatsApp

Another app I frequent gives the user a free and easy service to replace texts and data messaging through online means (you will generally be able to use more texts via Internet usage than text usage).

Advanced Task Killer (Android only)

This is basically a MUST HAVE for all android users. It kills the selected apps you are running in order to free up memory. Most of the time when I use this app, it frees up 30-50% of the memory. It is easily accessed as it hangs in the notification bar.

Chrome

Available on both devices, I believe it beats Safari and the stock Android browser. Faster, more efficient browsing. Unfortunately Apple is more restrictive in tieing you down to their apps so it won't be as conveniently accessible as Safari. But with Android, once installed, is added to the option tray when opening a web page.

I would say it would be morbid curiosity.

But who's to say I won't do the same.

Anything to break the daily grind will bring out the voyeur in us.

It's a part of human nature.

Not morbid at all. If fire trucks go by, I like to know if it is my house or friends house that is burning down.

If many cops go by, I'm curious where they are going.

Tbh,I think apps are one big con...

Take Words with Friends for example.

After each move they advertise this other app.

If you want this to stop you have to purchase the premium rate.

Tis very irritating because it ruins the flow of the game.

And you only get so many goes at pool before you have to do the same.

Tbh,I think apps are one big con...

Take Words with Friends for example.

After each move they advertise this other app.

If you want this to stop you have to purchase the premium rate.

Tis very irritating because it ruins the flow of the game.

And you only get so many goes at pool before you have to do the same.

I agree, that's why I thought to atart this thread. There must be some free or inexpensive apps out there without ads or add on purchases to play.

I agree, that's why I thought to atart this thread. There must be some free or inexpensive apps out there without ads or add on purchases to play.

There's one or two but they are very generic.

"Stars"which shows the position of the constellations in the night sky.

"Planets" is almost a replica of "Stars" but actually showing the planets in relation to the constellations.

However I think "Planets" has crashed because Jupiter is stuck in the Northern Hemisphere.

While in the Southern Hemiphere the rest are in some kind of planterary alignment.

Tbh neither is a reliable guide for any budding astronomers.

I think they need to fork out some money for more reliable tools to gauge the stars,galaxies and planets.