Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Where Was Atlantis?

docyabut2

It's a type of bronze that is a deep gold color.

Plato wrote that the orichalcum in Atlantis wasn't the same as orichalcum in his day. But since Plato has no source, it's valid to say that he made that up.

Orichalcum is a type of bronze.

Harte

• Like 1

New Jersey Pine Barrens. On the grounds that it's been 'located' everywhere else and not found there. :P

Well since my past life reading said that I was a key figure on the Atlantis side in the war between Atlantis & Egypt, them I must be the only person q qualified to answer the question on where Atlantis was. Are you ready for this? ..................out was in Alabama.

Atlantis could have been Thera,one of the expolsion around 1500bc does coincide with the king Checrops,1582,that was said to be in this war.

http://www.forumancientcoins.com/cparada/GML/MythicalChronology.html

At Tell el Dab'a in Egypt, pumice found at this location has been dated to 1540 BCE, closer to the traditionally accepted date of Thera's eruption.

This was a Egyptian tale of a war the greeks forgot because of a great flood. I was veiwing a show about how the greeks( athens) had to send two young people to Crete every year by order of king Mino for sacifice to the minon bull ,so this powerful empire of the islands must have had some control over the greeks.This war was about 1000 years before Solon that the Egyptains remembered, but not the greeks.And there was that find on a island in the Agean ( the name I forgot) where they found this houre of weapons found buried.

This is a fascinating topic of discussion that can lead to many directions one of which might be the truth. There is really not enough evidence that survives today relating to the existence of Atlantis. Most of the evidence that we rely on today is often extrapolated and inferred through the powers of human imagination often without empirical data to support it. And when tapping into the powers of human imagination, there's no knowing where you'll end up. You could either end up closer or farther from the truth. But if you're lucky, a serendipitious syncronistic coincidence may manifest the truth.

In the Western Pacific Ocean, there lies an ancient ruin known to the world as Nan Madol. Not much is known about this site except for the local history told by the natives which was passed down orally through the centuries. Carbon dating of the site suggests that Nan Madol could be older than Mohenjo Daro and the Great Pyramids of Giza. Could the secrets of Nan Madol help unlock the mysteries of our past? One of which may point to Atlantis.

Edited by PHFATY

Going for the geographically obvious suggestions, somewhere in the mediterranean or into the Atlantic off the coast of Africa.

Recall reading that Heroditus (Greek Theolojan) conjectured that it lay somewhere beyond the Pillars of Hercules.

Most of the theories on the location of Atlantis place it somewhere on or off dry-land. Based on this, everyone has learned to expect that Atlantis was built on Earth. What if it floated above the ground orbiting the Earth levitating high up over the mountain tops. This would have been possible when the orbit of the Moon was much closer to the Earth. There is evidence of a powerful impact on the surface of the moon (South Pole Aitken). The force of this impact could have had enough power to cause the Moon to shift out of its original orbit. The Moon being originally closer to the Earth would have enabled someone on Earth to levitate heavy objects by countering the Earth's gravity with the Moon's. Based on this, my theory is that Atlantis could have also be located high up in the clouds.

The tale does say Atlantis was an Egyptian record of a war that the greeks did not record, a tale put into poetry form by Solon. The reason the greeks did not remember because of the lost of the art of writing remebering the names of their chiefs, but not their actions, from a devastating flood, a third flood before the Deucalion flood of 1529.

http://www.forumancientcoins.com/cparada/GML/MythicalChronology.html

Plato

Such was the natural state of the country, which was cultivated, as we may well believe, by true husbandmen, who made husbandry their business, and were lovers of honour, and of a noble nature, and had a soil the best in the world, and abundance of water, and in the heaven above an excellently attempered climate. Now the city in those days was arranged on this wise. In the first place the Acropolis was not as now. For the fact is that a single night of excessive rain washed away the earth and laid bare the rock; at the same time there were earthquakes, and then occurred the extraordinary inundation, which was the third before the great destruction of Deucalion.

I do find it interesting that in this century, the uncovering of the cities found in Cnosus and Thera buried from volcano mud and tsunamis support that time.

• Like 1

The fact is, that wherever the extremity of winter frost or of summer does not prevent, mankind exist, sometimes in greater, sometimes in lesser numbers. And whatever happened either in your country or in ours, or in any other region of which we are informed-if there were any actions noble or great or in any other way remarkable, they have all been written down by us of old, and are preserved in our temples. Whereas just when you and other nations are beginning to be provided with letters and the other requisites of civilized life, after the usual interval, the stream from heaven, like a pestilence, comes pouring down, and leaves only those of you who are destitute of letters and education; and so you have to begin all over again like children, and know nothing of what happened in ancient times, either among us or among yourselves. As for those genealogies of yours which you just now recounted to us, Solon, they are no better than the tales of children. In the first place you remember a single deluge only, but there were many previous ones; in the next place, you do not know that there formerly dwelt in your land the fairest and noblest race of men which ever lived, and that you and your whole city are descended from a small seed or remnant of them which survived. And this was unknown to you, because, for many generations, the survivors of that destruction died, leaving no written word. For there was a time, Solon, before the great deluge of all, when the city which now is Athens was first in war and in every way the best governed of all cities, is said to have performed the noblest deeds and to have had the fairest constitution of any of which tradition tells, under the face of heaven.

Plato

I just gave a few answers to some Atlantis questions in the West Africa thread and won't repeat myself, but it's interesting to read what Plato wrote on this theme in The Laws, book 4, which I also linked.

I heard a song called Alt-Land-Is

of a band called Kingston Wall from Finland, They said that according to the Bock Saga http://en.wikipedia....ki/Ior_Bock it derives from alt-land-is which allegedly means all lands ice, they had a legend that says that a long time ago people used to live in a tropical climate, before the ice age, then the world they knew froze over, hence migrating, taking pairs of domesticated animals with them in ships (Noahs Ark http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Genesis_flood_narrative which is another story that connects with many worldwide legends like the epic of gilgamesh http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gilgamesh_flood_myth and many other flood myths) So they called this time alt land is which means all lands ice. Basically the song talks about The Aesir and the Vanir people http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/%C3%86sir%E2%80%93Vanir_War (mythologically ancient norse gods), But if you look at them as being just an ancient tribe of ancient humans, not actual gods, you start connecting dots So they migrated south and then some migrated back. I believe there is a good probability to this being true because of all the conections they make, its still very interesting. If you get extra creative you can also imagine that the nazis http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heinrich_Himmler#Mysticism_and_symbolism were after the descendants of one of these norse tribes. But thats another story. Edited by Pop Vulture

I do believe the tale of Atlantis was true. I`m come to the concuslion as much as I wanted it to be the lost city of Tartessos or where everyone else thinks it should be ,the catasophere of the event had to have affected Athens.

Critias-

Such was the vast power which the god settled in the lost island of Atlantis; and this he afterwards directed against our land for the following reasons, as tradition tells.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Socotra

Socotra (Arabic: سُقُطْرَى‎ Suquṭra), also spelled Soqotra, is a small archipelago of four islands in the Indian Ocean. The largest island, also called Socotra, is about 95% of the landmass of the archipelago. It lies some 240 kilometres (150 mi) east of the Horn of Africa and 380 kilometres (240 mi) south of the Arabian Peninsula.[2] The island is very isolated and through the process of speciation, a third of its plant life is found nowhere else on the planet. It has been described as the most alien-looking place on Earth. The island measures 132 kilometres (82 mi) in length and 49.7 kilometres (30.9 mi) in width

atlantis was in a book

Going for the geographically obvious suggestions, somewhere in the mediterranean or into the Atlantic off the coast of Africa.

Recall reading that Heroditus (Greek Theolojan) conjectured that it lay somewhere beyond the Pillars of Hercules.

You're thinking of Plato, not Herodotus, and neither was a theolojan, nor even a theologian.

Harte

No offense ( but my father is a relative of Bret Hart, so I will claim it ))) Why Why Why a HORSE !!!!!1

Perhaps we are related?

Harte

Most of the theories on the location of Atlantis place it somewhere on or off dry-land. Based on this, everyone has learned to expect that Atlantis was built on Earth. What if it floated above the ground orbiting the Earth levitating high up over the mountain tops. This would have been possible when the orbit of the Moon was much closer to the Earth. There is evidence of a powerful impact on the surface of the moon (South Pole Aitken). The force of this impact could have had enough power to cause the Moon to shift out of its original orbit. The Moon being originally closer to the Earth would have enabled someone on Earth to levitate heavy objects by countering the Earth's gravity with the Moon's. Based on this, my theory is that Atlantis could have also be located high up in the clouds.

i feel something should be said here, but the words just escape me. :mellow:

I had a dream where mighty Cthulu came to me with his brother Hastor, and they told me that Atlantis is only a story that Plato used in his Dialogs. Plato was not a historian. He was a politician. He would not have put history into his Diaglogs without there being a clear political message behind it. And... to the ancient Greeks the message was clear. It is only modern idiots (Cthulu's words not mine) to whom the meaning is not clear.

• Like 1

If there is a place called heaven and Plato lives in it, I bet he just laughs and laughs everytime two people come together to argue about where the hell Atlantis is. Wouldn't the simplest answer truly be that Atlantis was a fictional creation by Plato and nothing more?

That's what I think as well....

My pet theory is that Ascension Island in the South Atlantic is a remaining part of Atlantis.

And this is what Deep Sea soundings are said to show of a past land mass in the Atlantic...

An island in the North with a connecting ridge going south.

http://www.sacred-texts.com/atl/ataw/img/04700.jpg

sketch map from here...(there are certainly better maps somewhere but this one will do...:))

http://www.sacred-texts.com/atl/ataw/ataw105.htm

Hi all, again I go by Platos writings and when given the names of the kings of Athens that were in this war, the time points to the 1500 `s bc

Plato

And this is reason why the names of the ancients have been preserved to us and not their actions. This I infer because Solon said that the priests in their narrative of that war mentioned most of the names which are recorded prior to the time of Theseus, such as Cecrops, and Erechtheus, and Erichthonius, and Erysichthon,

Marmor Parium

http://www.forumanci...Chronology.html

Edited by docyabut2

This is my sceptic side talking for all sceptics on UM who ,I feel , somehow are not so active as they used to be. Maybe they neep helping hand. :innocent:

Anyway, from Plato s Republic:

…also in the tales of mythology, of which we were just now speaking --because we do not know the truth about ancient times, we make falsehood as much like truth as we can, and so turn it to account.

• Like 1

This is my sceptic side talking for all sceptics on UM who ,I feel , somehow are not so active as they used to be. Maybe they neep helping hand. :innocent:

Anyway, from Plato s Republic:

…also in the tales of mythology, of which we were just now speaking --because we do not know the truth about ancient times, we make falsehood as much like truth as we can, and so turn it to account.

There's only so much of "I don't like what's known so I'll make up my own version of it and claim it's the truth" that one can stand before needing to take a break from listening to such drivel. And no, this isn't directed at you.

cormac

There's only so much of "I don't like what's known so I'll make up my own version of it and claim it's the truth" that one can stand before needing to take a break from listening to such drivel. And no, this isn't directed at you.

cormac

Allow me to quote Carl Sagan.

Suppression of uncomfortable ideas maybe common in religion or in politics but its not path of knowledge. And theres no place in it in endeavor of science. We do not know beforehand where fundamental insights will arise from. And the history of our study shows clearly that accepted and conventional ideas are often dead wrong and that fundemental insights can arise from the most unexpected sources.

• Like 2