Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Can anyone help me with what this could have

Vincennes

I am not saying wow I saw a UFO, I just could identify what I did see.

Last night there was a fairly clear sky and a bright, full moon I was walking my dog about 8:30 p. and noticed that there was a bright star closer to the moon than I had ever noticed before. One of those half thoughts that went around in my head was it must be that bright because of the moon.

As I continued looking at this "star" which was located to my eye above the moon not in front of it, there seemed to be a short red light that appeared at the "bottom" of the star. I shook my head, straightened my glasses and watched it..... and slowly the red light disappeared. I went on watching telling myself I was crazy when, sure enough the red light reappeared, same position. This on and off went on for at least twenty minutes.

Although the red light came and went ... this "star" object did not move whatsoever. If anything the light seem to appear with a rotation of the "star."

I do know it was way too high for a plane or a helicopter and, again, it did not move not toward, away of in any direction.

A satelitte? (sp. that right ??) I do really have good distance vision. I would appreciate any of your ideas.

Thanks for any ideas!

• Like 2

You will get some....It might help if you can post location. ( I mean the time in Easter, Pacific, etc. )

I know someone will be able to see what satelites were where, and what planets were where.....

Hang tight, good people in here......I am not one of them on this topic.

I am not saying wow I saw a UFO, I just could identify what I did see.

Last night there was a fairly clear sky and a bright, full moon I was walking my dog about 8:30 p. and noticed that there was a bright star closer to the moon than I had ever noticed before. One of those half thoughts that went around in my head was it must be that bright because of the moon.

As I continued looking at this "star" which was located to my eye above the moon not in front of it, there seemed to be a short red light that appeared at the "bottom" of the star. I shook my head, straightened my glasses and watched it..... and slowly the red light disappeared. I went on watching telling myself I was crazy when, sure enough the red light reappeared, same position. This on and off went on for at least twenty minutes.

Although the red light came and went ... this "star" object did not move whatsoever. If anything the light seem to appear with a rotation of the "star."

I do know it was way too high for a plane or a helicopter and, again, it did not move not toward, away of in any direction.

A satelitte? (sp. that right ??) I do really have good distance vision. I would appreciate any of your ideas.

Thanks for any ideas!

What you saw was the Jupiter/Full Moon conjunction.

The red light effect you are seeing is an artifact of your eyes trying to focus on the dimmer Jupiter while your retina is saturated with the light of the Moon. In other words it's an illusion.

See photo here:

http://spaceweather....pf7sfjdtqoeurr3

Edited by synchronomy
  • Like 3

What you saw was the Jupiter/Full Moon conjunction.

The red light effect you are seeing is an artifact of your eyes trying to focus on the dimmer Jupiter while your retina is saturated with the light of the Moon. In other words it's an illusion.

See photo here:

http://spaceweather....pf7sfjdtqoeurr3

Nail on the head.

You're good. Do you dabble in astronomy? I am sure I have asked before, but I forget right at this moment.

Beat me to it. The one in 2008 was awesome, it made a smiley face.

smileyfaceatsunset1-1200px-600x402.jpg

Edited by psyche101
  • Like 1

Nail on the head.

You're good. Do you dabble in astronomy? I am sure I have asked before, but I forget right at this moment.

I dabble. Anything "up there" facinates me.

Here's two websites I visit every morning when I check news and weather. I haven't had TV for about three years now and find my outlook on life has improved tremendously.

I visit this site for daily news about the Universe. There's lots of links there to great stuff:

http://spaceweather.com/

I love this one. Get a daily shot of cool astronomical pics and the description is loaded with links too:

http://apod.nasa.gov/apod/astropix.html

• Like 1

I would quite easily dismiss this has a quirk of astronomy.

Planets and other heavenly bodies have been misidentified before.

If the damn thing started doing impossible maneoveres then there's no way you could mistake it for anything celestial.

Jupiter is a very credible explanation because once I confused it for Venus however there was no light blinking off and on.

My Planets app confirmed my fallacy.

Edited by Walnut Whip

This has just sent shivers down my spine. Yesterday I took my neighbour to work, she is a postwoman so gets their but 6 a.m. On my way home it had began to get light. The skies were very blue as there had been a deep frost. The moon was full and very bright, to the right of the moon was a very bright light. Like a star but very bright, It didn't move and just didn't seem right.

Are stars usually visible in daylight? Can't imagine what else it could be however I have never seen that before.

This has just sent shivers down my spine. Yesterday I took my neighbour to work, she is a postwoman so gets their but 6 a.m. On my way home it had began to get light. The skies were very blue as there had been a deep frost. The moon was full and very bright, to the right of the moon was a very bright light. Like a star but very bright, It didn't move and just didn't seem right.

Are stars usually visible in daylight? Can't imagine what else it could be however I have never seen that before.

It was/is the planet Jupiter.

Yes, giving the correct conditions you can see stars during the day.

This past February, Venus and Jupiter were visible next to the Moon. Pretty cool stuff!

I get the feeling that any star or planet really close to the moon gets distorted.

Even stars could lose their twinkle and look otherworldly.

I'm not 100% sure but I think the Pole Star can be seen in daylight.

Edited by Walnut Whip

This past February, Venus and Jupiter were visible next to the Moon. Pretty cool stuff!

It would be if I can tell them apart!

I was looking at the full moon and Jupiter just last night...it was absolutely beautiful as the clouds were illuminated and the colors quite striking.

It's not a star you saw, it's Jupiter, which is very close to the Moon currently.

Both the planet Jupiter and Venus are often visible even when the sky is becoming bright.

Venus, most noteably, is often visible in full daylight with a clear sky. When Venus is at it's maximum brightness, it still can appear as a faint daylight object if you know where to look.

Some information here:

http://www.fourmilab.../venus_daytime/

Edited by synchronomy

That's why they call Venus the Morning Star and Evening Star.

Though it wasn't in the Northern Hemisphere that particular night.

What should have been a easy identification has turned into an embarrassment.

Sometimes I have too many apps but surely I can't get Mars wrong.

You can't really miss a reddish tinge. Hang on...

Here's two websites I visit every morning when I check news and weather. I haven't had TV for about three years now and find my outlook on life has improved tremendously.

I visit this site for daily news about the Universe. There's lots of links there to great stuff:

I love this one. Get a daily shot of cool astronomical pics and the description is loaded with links too:

http://apod.nasa.gov...d/astropix.html

I love those sites I really like the Picture of The Cathedral to Massive stars pic from the second link, its just beautiful

http://apod.nasa.gov...d/astropix.html

:tu:

The NASA IPhone App is pretty decent as well. I like it for keeping up to date. Fast and well organised. For the Net, I like Ice In Space as it is a resource local to me.

Expect for all the POTD's where they airbrush out aliens.............. :rofl: