Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

N Korea angry at US rights bill

Talon

N Korea angry at US rights bill

By Charles Scanlon

BBC, Seoul

North Korea has responded angrily to a new human rights bill approved by the US House of Representatives.

The bill, already passed by the Senate, is designed to help North Koreans fleeing hunger and persecution.

It provides $24m a year in humanitarian assistance and also aims to make it easier for North Korean refugees to gain asylum in the US.

North Korea has said it is part of a plan to topple the communist government.

A foreign ministry spokesman in Pyongyang said the move made further negotiations with the US meaningless.

North Korea was already refusing further talks with its neighbours and the US on its development of nuclear weapons.

It has again threatened to step up development of what it calls a deterrent force, a term used to describe its nuclear weapons programme.

As many as 200,000 North Korean refugees are thought to have crossed the border into China.

The North worries that Washington is trying to encourage migration on an even larger scale to destabilise the government.

Both China and South Korea are alarmed at the prospect of a mass exodus. The Chinese authorities currently arrest and return refugees. South Korea reluctantly accepts those who manage to escape from China.

Story from BBC NEWS:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/pr/fr/-/1/hi/worl...fic/3716036.stm

The North worries that Washington is trying to encourage migration on an even larger scale to destabilise the government.

Probably... but this a good thing tongue.gif The only question is were do we put them blink.gif

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Fluffybunny

• Talon

• Scar

• Novo

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

We have plenty of room here in the US, it is the jobs that I am concerned about. Regardless, we have always gotten along well when letting people into the country before so now is no different.

Is it me or does anyone else think that North Korea comes across like a cranky 8 year old throwing a tantrum?

With enriched uranium and a army that is larger than hitlers.

some 8 year old eh?

grin2.gif

292316[/snapback]

I never said an average 8 year old. laugh.gif

Is it me or does anyone else think that North Korea comes across like a cranky 8 year old throwing a tantrum?

Maybe, but its the exact same thing East Germany did just before it collapsed under its fleeing population.

You know you really have to admire Gorbachev, he took control of a super power, controlled a massive empire, and then helped destroy it. He made peace talks with the US, signed the INF treaty and the START I; he stopped the attacks on religion; he stopped in invasion of Afghanistan in 1989; withdrew support from other Communist governments; and finally deliberately allowed the USSR to crumble because he refused to let East Germany army stop people fleeing the country. In recognition he received a Nobel Peace Prize IN 1990.

If Gorbachev had wanted to he could have continued the USSR and been a dictator of 25% of the world, but instead he saw what an corrupt and evil thing he had and destroyed it.

That’s why Gorbachev has to be one of the greatest men of this century, along with Neilson Mandela and Martin Luther King.

The same is now happening in North Korea, its people are fleeing, but now they move their troops in to stop them to hold onto power for as long as possible. Let us only hope that somewhere in their evil system there is a Mikhail Gorbachev waiting to take his place in history.

Here's hoping Talon ,

When Fluffy said the thing about the Tantrum, I have to agree evertime somone does anything they always come out saying "Thats it We'll build out Nukes" Has anyone ever said On you go then ?

They would say we will

We would say be my Guest

They would Say fine then

we would say you know what a nuke is

They say yes

We say What

They Say Im not Telling you