Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Why do people conform to societal norms?

Alienated Being

you sound antisocial, not necessarily nonconformist.

i wonder if you think it really is so cool that you are such an individual you haven't kissed a girl in 5 or 6 years and this is something you brag to your guy friends about.

yeah.

Yeah, duh, there's a reason People don't be around me, it;s because when they are around me they look less cool...Gosh.

Yeah, duh, there's a reason People don't be around me, it;s because when they are around me they look less cool...Gosh.

i'm sure that must be it

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

Your attitude about being different comes from the crowd you hang out in which in this case is your family. You start building life according to your philosophy and simply forget the way they tried to force you to be. This appears to be a classic case of emotional and psychological theft where the family has imposed their beliefs and lifestyle on you. I'm not talking paranormal. I mean literally they have tried to rob you of your self worth in revenge for your ability to outshine them. They stomp on you, because heaven forebid you find out there is a way in which to live freely outside of their norm. This is simply my opinion. Many people are more like you than you may assume, but you've been force fed bull all your life and the result is depression as long as you hold onto the negative tapes they're playing in your head. People are people. Nobody is exactly like anybody. Listen to your instincts as they guide you to a life taylor made for you by you.Once you abandon their ideas life will unfold along your path and you will grow into yourself,, an individual who never thinks about what they're lacking or how they're drifferent. Life is not meant to be about our differences. It is meant to be about growing into our individuality and learning to love other individuals. Your intelligence level is greater than that of your family, but you have to abandon the need for their approval before you can totally embrace your gifts. Truth is you don't need a present, because you are gifted philosophically and you are hungry for what your family never gave you which sounds like acceptance. And everyone might not always agree with your beliefs, but people will come along who see you for your brilliance if you let go of bitterness. You're not going to attract the folks you want to meet until then. By the way, gift giving on holidays and birthdays is not about proving anyone's worth. It is only a tradition and it is considered in most cultures to be respectful to follow traditions as they are devised to bring us closer together. If you feel bitterness about following traditions perhaps you were taught the wrong way as to why we follow them as a society. It is about togetherness and when done right togetherness does not rob one of individuality. I have to tell you it is in my opinion a sign of intelligence that you question everyday things, but I feel aside from holidays and meal times there are other deeply hidden patterns in your family structure which need your understanding to see why you are truly so bitter toward your family. I think it goes well beyond the little things. No one should ever answer their child with avoidance type behavior the way your mother does and I don't care if you are thirty. I think probably you display avoidance type behavior and this likely comes from these folks you were raised around who consider themselves normal when in fact they do not sound functional in the least. Focus on being functional rather than normal.Sometimes people will argue with you just to keep you in chains. I do think you should keep a journal and try to fully understand the mental abuse inflicted on you, but I also believe you will have to accept them the way they are and accept yourself as who you are and limit your time with them.

Edited by starchild1976

Eh, this isn't really an easy question to answer. I think that there are different types of so-called 'nonconformity' and different reasons people are that way. Some folks out there just seek to do whatever the opposite of what everyone else is doing because it gives them a sort of sense of uniqueness. I think that often times these folks have some sort of inadequacy that causes them to act and think that way.

People are, in quite a l

Eh, this isn't really an easy question to answer. I think that there are different types of so-called 'nonconformity' and different reasons people are that way. Some folks out there just seek to do whatever the opposite of what everyone else is doing because it gives them a sort of sense of uniqueness. I think that often times these folks have some sort of inadequacy that causes them to act and think that way.

People are, in quite a l

Sorry, my phone is really p***ing me off, forget it. I was going to say something but forget it..

you sound antisocial, not necessarily nonconformist.

i wonder if you think it really is so cool that you are such an individual you haven't kissed a girl in 5 or 6 years and this is something you brag to your guy friends about.

yeah.

What does him not kissing a girl in 5 or 6 years have to do with "coolness", or "something to brag about"?

It isn't "good" or "bad" it is what it is.

The only reason why I made this post is to point out that even sub-consciously people can have beliefs of "cool" and "uncool" (social conformity) even when they claim to be themselves and they don't even realize it.