Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Crocodile Attacks Boy Swimming In Australia

DKO

Australian police are searching for a 12-year-old boy who is believed to have been attacked by a crocodile and dragged out to sea.

The boy was swimming with a group of people at Port Bradshaw, in the Northern Territory, when he was attacked.

"Initial reports suggest adults within in the group tried to save the boy by spearing the animal, but the crocodile dragged the child out to deeper water," police Superintendent Michael White said in a statement.

http://news.sky.com/story/1019193/crocodile-attacks-boy-swimming-in-australia

At least when I go for a swim I only have to worry about sharks... :mellow:

People should learn. Sadly, they don't.

Despite that, I'm sorry for what happened to the boy. My condolences go out to his family.

• Like 1

People should learn. Sadly, they don't.

Despite that, I'm sorry for what happened to the boy. My condolences go out to his family.

Apparently the locals had been feeding the crocodile as well. So it's something that could have possibly been avoided.

• Like 1

Apparently the locals had been feeding the crocodile as well. So it's something that could have possibly been avoided.

If this is true, it certainly contributed to the problem. I remember once reading a book that documented Crocodile/Alligator attacks across the US, South Africa, Mexico, etc.

If memory serves, when people feed Crocs/Alligators over an extended time period, Crocs lose their fear of Humans. This of course makes Crocs more likely to confront people when either hungry or suddenly threatened.

Sad case eiher way. Rest in piece, kid.

• Like 1

Here's a local link on the story!

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2012-12-02/community-believed-to-have-fed-croc-that-took-boy/4403554

:( poor little guy!

Truth is guys, if you fish or drop your crab pots in the same spot every time, they catch on to it before you even know it! They say it pays to alternate your fishing spots.

Swim in the same spot for long enough your a crab pot too! Croc's are too clever for our own good.

It's the same with dingoes!

Edited by xCrimsonx

If memory serves, when people feed Crocs/Alligators over an extended time period, Crocs lose their fear of Humans. This of course makes Crocs more likely to confront people when either hungry or suddenly threatened.

fear of humans ? crocs? never heard that before ! well i know most animals fear us humans but crocs i doubt it ! we look like tasty burgers to them !

so really!! i dont know if we should be blaming other humans for this incident !

poor little boy :(

• Like 1

If this is true, it certainly contributed to the problem. I remember once reading a book that documented Crocodile/Alligator attacks across the US, South Africa, Mexico, etc.

Sad case eiher way. Rest in piece, kid.

Threatened, there's nothing that threatens a crocodile in these parts more so than humans! A croc will be opportunistic, if they see a potential meal, they'll still take it and store it under a log for future dinning! Decomposition helps the croc to portion it as it needs it!

• Like 1

Extremely sad news, I heard people had been feeding it as well.

Problem with Crocs is it is the loners you have to worry about who have just moved in. Most water bodies in North Australia have Crocs, and in many of them you can see them swimming around in abundance.

It's when a new one wanders into a new hole alone and nobody knows about it that trouble tends to strike. That is how people who have been living here for tend of thousands of years still get taken, as this poor young chap was. xcrimsonx is right, they pick up on habit. Never drop a crab pot in the same place twice.

• Like 1

i lived in far North Queensland as a teenager and you would never get me going swimming in any rivers or lakes.. or anyone i knew.. most likely they were aboriginal.. so sad.. poor boy, was so young.. hence an easier target..

• Like 1

Just wondering if any Aussie on here has actually seen a wild crocodile? I would love to check out the Top End and see a crocodile, not too close though ;).

• Like 1

I have worked up and down the East Coast of Australia for the last 8 or 9 years. When i worked in Cairns they have signs saying to stay away from the waters edge because of salt water crocs. Now staying on the Gold Coast on one of canals, but bull sharks roam. I'll be glad to get back to Sydney soon.

It only takes some sensible precautions to be safe.

• Like 3

Just wondering if any Aussie on here has actually seen a wild crocodile? I would love to check out the Top End and see a crocodile, not too close though ;).

I've a seen a few over the years, did the Crocodile Jumping cruise when I was Lil kid! The tourists would all gather to one side of the boat to snap shots of the croc feeding in turn made the boat tip to the side. Don't laugh,. Lil old me at 9 years thought I'd try and even it up and stand on the elevated side. An attempt bought on by fear! XD didn't work.

Adelaide River Queen Cruises

http://www.jumpingcrocodilecruises.com.au/

We bought a fresh water croc about 4 years ago, he's bigger enough now that we are going to transfer him to a tank outside soon.

DKO do you think this might be close enough for you? XD

Swim With Crocodiles - Darwin

http://www.adrenalin.com.au/swim-with-crocodiles-darwin/nt-darwin/water/13222

You know they pull cros out of residential pools all the time up here! O.o

I've tried croc meat but I wasn't fussed for it, I refuse to wear in any way shape or form products made form the skins.

Sill haven't been here yet.

Crocodylus Park

http://www.crocodyluspark.com.au/

• Like 1

Threatened, there's nothing that threatens a crocodile in these parts more so than humans! A croc will be opportunistic, if they see a potential meal, they'll still take it and store it under a log for future dinning! Decomposition helps the croc to portion it as it needs it!

Thats what I was trying to explain, but you're right.

Take care.

• Like 1

I've a seen a few over the years, did the Crocodile Jumping cruise when I was Lil kid! The tourists would all gather to one side of the boat to snap shots of the croc feeding in turn made the boat tip to the side. Don't laugh,. Lil old me at 9 years thought I'd try and even it up and stand on the elevated side. An attempt bought on by fear! XD didn't work.

Adelaide River Queen Cruises

http://www.jumpingcr...cruises.com.au/

We bought a fresh water croc about 4 years ago, he's bigger enough now that we are going to transfer him to a tank outside soon.

DKO do you think this might be close enough for you? XD

Swim With Crocodiles - Darwin

http://www.adrenalin...win/water/13222

You know they pull cros out of residential pools all the time up here! O.o

I've tried croc meat but I wasn't fussed for it, I refuse to wear in any way shape or form products made form the skins.

Sill haven't been here yet.

Crocodylus Park

http://www.crocodyluspark.com.au/

Haha sounds awesome. Do you really have a Salty!? That's amazing.

Also that Swimming with Crocodiles looks like good fun, never heard of that before. I've done the Swimming with Sharks here in Perth, but they were only Grey Nurses. Still pretty daunting seeing a shark up that close.

Yeah i've heard of them getting into pools. My Uncle and Auntie live in Karratha and have a few stories from there haha.

When I save up enough and get a bit of free time I want to take a trip around the coast. There's so much to Australia I haven't seen. Will definitely pop by Darwin and check out the Swimming with the Crocs.

• Like 1

Haha sounds awesome. Do you really have a Salty!? That's amazing.

Also that Swimming with Crocodiles looks like good fun, never heard of that before. I've done the Swimming with Sharks here in Perth, but they were only Grey Nurses. Still pretty daunting seeing a shark up that close.

Yeah i've heard of them getting into pools. My Uncle and Auntie live in Karratha and have a few stories from there haha.

When I save up enough and get a bit of free time I want to take a trip around the coast. There's so much to Australia I haven't seen. Will definitely pop by Darwin and check out the Swimming with the Crocs.

Just a fresh water croc, I wouldn't have a Salty their really hungry.XD

Chopper jumps when you feed him, he's got attitude and thinks he's a salty! lol I've been snapped at a couple of times, but ones reflexes tend to kick in for ones own good.

You'll love it mate there's so much to see up this way! :)

• Like 1

Just a fresh water croc, I wouldn't have a Salty their really hungry.XD

Chopper jumps when you feed him, he's got attitude and thinks he's a salty! lol I've been snapped at a couple of times, but ones reflexes tend to kick in for ones own good.

You'll love it mate there's so much to see up this way! :)

Oops yes sorry I misread your comment on your fresh water croc.

I'll never complain again when my cat snaps me now lol.

• Like 1

That's so terrible. I hope he drowned very quickly and didn't suffer much.

I wonder if they taste the same as alligator? If there are too many of them, it is something to think about.

They are very common up here, most of our freshwater spots have been taken over because of monsoon season allowing them too migrate further. You can see them sometimes at the beaches as well in FNQ. I'd hate to have a close encounter I do the whole turn the engine off untill it surfaces further away then cut for it hahaha. I feel sorry for the Enviro guys on the boarder of QLD and NT, in NT you can shoot and capture in QLD it is illegal, parks can follow it for weeks, then come to time to remove the crocodile all it has to do is swim into QLD to screw a lot of work up. I quite like the American/Alligator scheme where people buy tags to hunt and only a certain amount are sold each year.

• Like 2