Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Has anyone else ever saw the ghost of a pet ?

Vincennes

My dog was a black female German shepherd and knew her since she was a small puppy. She was old when she passed over and I was devastated. Today when I think of her I still cry. This was more than a decade ago. Two months after she died, I suffered a bad type of pneumonia and had to stay in bed for a couple of weeks. I didn't have the ability to walk. I struggled to the bathroom and kitchen. It was winter and had all the windows sealed, curtains drawn, heating on, tucke din bed watching TV. I started getting faint and then I found myself standing up beside my bed, looking at the window. It was open and a warm breeze came in. I wanted to leave the illness behind me and felt like going out there when I was woken by a dog in my bedroom. I opened my eyes and was back in bed again, listening to a dog panting and running , like dogs do when they're happy to see you. I thought someone had come into the house bringing a dog. I sat up and the noise stopped. No sign of a dog. I had energy back all of a sudden again as I was able to get up and look around the house. There wasn't anyone else there. The door was locked inside. What?

I've seen a phantom cat twice in the corridor. It doesn't look like my former cat who died ages ago but looks like another cat I raised, who's still alive but now with a relative.

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

My two 200 lb. Newfoundlands, seem to have adopted the original "Newf" I had and seeing the two visible ones is or can be a rought time if both decide "you", so to speak, are the "playtoy" at any particular moment in time, add "something" else that has weight, size, etc but can't be seen, and all 3, well, 2 one can see, can literally destroy a freshly cleaned room :cry: . Perhaps might have been abetter choice to have goten if I knew "some" might be showing back up but since I have the dogs, I can only fear I don't start "collecting" them, pardon the pun. :w00t:

When I moved to my current house at 12 years old, our cat Trudy was my baby. She would sleep with me almost every night and I would leave my bedroom door cracked for her. Sometimes I'd feel her come in, 'cause I would half-rouse from sleep at the feeling of her walking on my bed, breathing in my ear, purring, etc. It became a sign of comfort to me. Sometimes I'd look up and pet her, sometimes I'd just fall right back asleep. Well, eventually I began to notice it wasn't always Trudy.

Some nights when I felt the little cat feet walking on my bed, I would look up to greet her only to find there was nothing there. I didn't think anything of this at first, but I think subconsciously I started to check every time I felt or heard her. Usually it was just Trudy. However, some nights there would be the walking on the bed, a slight purring noise, breath in my ear, and I'd look around only to find nothing there. I'd call for her, listen, etc. and get nothing in response. It really freaked me out at first. On two different occasions, I was actually awake laying on my bed doing whatever and I'd feel the pawprints. I'd look up, watch as the blankets indented with each step of a kitty, but nothing was there. It scared the crap out of me.

As the years went by, I continued to get visits from what I jokingly dubbed the 'ghost kitty'. I believe there to be at least two other spirits in my house, the darker of which frequents my bedroom (which is why I now sleep downstairs on the couch most nights). I can feel them watching, staring, or hear footsteps plain as day in my bedroom. But then I feel or hear the 'ghost kitty' and I feel so much calmer, like the heaviness in the room would just lift. It comes and puffs little breaths or purrs in my ear, and sometimes I feel it lay down and stay a while. I really came to no longer fear its presence.

What really confirmed it for me was the visual experience I had. I've never seen a spirit before, only ever heard things and only in this house, so I don't consider myself the paranoid, pointing-fingers type. Last month, though, everything seemed to be more active. Footsteps every night, creaks, knocks on doors, breathing (these are the experiences of everyone in my house, not just me). My stepdad saw a woman in the kitchen, then she disappeared - this is the first and only time anyone has seen anything in the house. One random day last month, I passed by our laundry room and out of the corner of my eye I saw what I thought was a cat. At first thinking it was Trudy, I turned to glance at her, only to see for the briefest moment the outline of a cat. It was transparent, nothing solid, no mist or colors, yet I could see the distinct lines of a head, ears, tail, and legs. I could see it because it appeared sort of wavy, like when you see heat rising off the ground in summer, but this wasn't just a wall of heat - it was a distinct shape. And no sooner had I seen it did it disappear.

I definitely believe I have the spirit of a cat in my house. I consider it a friend and protector, because when the other crap in my house freaks me out it shows up and calms me down. It usually just chills with me.

Edited by DoubtfulFire495

I've had a lot of pet deaths in my life because, as my parents put it, we get the dogs that need us. Even though they've not been with us long, they were brought in our lives because we could take care of them.

All my dogs (I've now had four that have passed in my life) have come back to tell me they were ok in some form. My first two dogs would come in dreams often, and they've all to an extent have come back in other dogs. Little idiosyncracies that we notice.

Four months ago I adopted my own dog (before that all the dogs have lived with my parents) and two months after that, my golden retriever had to be put down. I had had her in my life since I was 13 and she was 11. She was old and had cancer and tumors, but she lived a long life considering how sick she was as a baby. Lots of surgeries prematurely aged her, but she bounced back every time. The last 6 months were really hard because we could see she was starting to head out and she wasn't as perky as she once was. But she never showed it. She always wagged her tail and always interacted with you. My little sister and I came home as often as we could and would say our goodbyes to her every time we saw her and would tell her "If you are ready, it's ok, you can go. We love you so much." We prepared ourselves for months for that moment. But we all wished that we weren't going to have to make the decision to put her down, we hoped she would just fall asleep.

Her final week, I visited her on Sunday, and said my goodbyes not knowing that would be the last time I saw her but knowing she probably wouldn't make it the month, and my little sister saw her that Tuesday and said her goodbyes. That Friday evening mom and dad took her to the vet to put her down. They were sad, my dad was choking back sobs (which mom has NEVER seen him do, but the golden was his baby) and she stayed with her while they administered the shot. She said after that she looked beautiful and peaceful. Not old and sick.

The entire vet staff was crying. They'd known her since she was a baby as well, and she was a hard one to not love.

So even though I expected the news, I still laid on the couch with my pup and cried.

Three days later, I took my pup to get groomed, and after walked him around the pet store to get him a toy. He beelined for a toy that looked like a green dog. I knew we had it at my parents house, but he never played with it there. I picked it up and he got excited and wanted it, so I bought it for him. When I sent a picture to my family of him and his new toy, my sister wrote back "That was Sam's (golden) favorite toy!". I like to think that was her way of letting me know she was ok and that she wanted him to have something special.

I know my pup was brought in my life to help me get through this, but I'm also comforted knowing my golden liked him, too. :)

I had two pet rabbits several years ago; when they were young we suddenly lost one. For a couple of months I (other family members too) witnessed seeing a dark grey/ black blob in the run, seemingly running around. This happened several times, although brief. Then on feeding the other rabbit, I felt a forceful nudge to my leg (this caused me to stumble as I was crouching), this was something this rabbit used to do to me (no I am not nuts or making this up).

When the second bunny died we buried her in the garden, it was a day or two later when my dad and I both heard a "clonk" we both smiled as this was the definite sound of my bunny jumping in her indoor cage. It was the sound of nails flicking against the plastic side.

Today over a year later I still on the very rare occasion have the nudge on the ankle from something unseen, when I look down there is nothing near my leg.

I saw my cat walk round the corner in the lounge room a few days after she died, was very comforting to know she was still there

• 4 weeks later...

When I was a kid I slept over a friends house,and he had two beds in his room.He told me that his house over the years had many cats,and the ghosts sleep by his feet.I was like "Show me".He took his blanket,and laid it over his spread legs slightly taught.He said to watch his leg area.I saw the blanket get stepped down by an invisible cat as it made it's way to his legs,and circle around as if to get comfy.I tried it on my bed,and the same thing happened.I could tell it was not the blanket settling,but a ghost cat coming on the bed,and settling between my legs.I only seen the blanket move to invisble feet,then circle around,and plop down.It was distinct,and I do not believe it to be the blanket settling on it's own.

A couple of years ago I was over a friends house that had a Lab that recently passed.I was on his couch waiting for him while he was in the bathroom.I felt something jump on the couch right next to me.I turned to look thinking it was the cat coming at me from the arm of the couch.The cat was sitting on the couch arm looking with his head tilting back in forth at the couch cushion.If it was not for the cat noticing,I would have put it off as a dizzy spell for the sensation of something jumping on the couch.I think it was the ghost of his Lab.I heard several times what sounds like her running up,and down the walkway outside when I go out for a cig.I hear the pads of dogs feet coming towards me,and fade out.I have not told my friend,because he is a hardened skeptic,and did not even bring her remains home from the vet for burial.

• Like 3

When I was a kid I slept over a friends house,and he had two beds in his room.He told me that his house over the years had many cats,and the ghosts sleep by his feet.I was like "Show me".He took his blanket,and laid it over his spread legs slightly taught.He said to watch his leg area.I saw the blanket get stepped down by an invisible cat as it made it's way to his legs,and circle around as if to get comfy.I tried it on my bed,and the same thing happened.I could tell it was not the blanket settling,but a ghost cat coming on the bed,and settling between my legs.I only seen the blanket move to invisble feet,then circle around,and plop down.It was distinct,and I do not believe it to be the blanket settling on it's own.

A couple of years ago I was over a friends house that had a Lab that recently passed.I was on his couch waiting for him while he was in the bathroom.I felt something jump on the couch right next to me.I turned to look thinking it was the cat coming at me from the arm of the couch.The cat was sitting on the couch arm looking with his head tilting back in forth at the couch cushion.If it was not for the cat noticing,I would have put it off as a dizzy spell for the sensation of something jumping on the couch.I think it was the ghost of his Lab.I heard several times what sounds like her running up,and down the walkway outside when I go out for a cig.I hear the pads of dogs feet coming towards me,and fade out.I have not told my friend,because he is a hardened skeptic,and did not even bring her remains home from the vet for burial.

That's an interesting idea, Davros. I have had fleeting glimpses of past pets several times but I never thought of "making room for them," so to speak. Thanks for your post !

• Like 2

• 5 months later...

Many years ago on the rural property where I lived a small Schnauzer-type dog began coming over from the adjoining property. I had two grown male and female Collies at the time. The owner of the small dog would come to pick him up or I'd call her to tell her he was at my place and she would come to get him. I noticed once that one of his eyes looked like it had been damaged, but he was sweet and liked attention.

Well this went on for a while where the dog showed up, and then he'd be taken back home. I don't really think his owner was treating him well, as once when she came to pick him up she beat him rather severely. I had thought of asking if she'd like to sell him but never did. I realized later that probably the reason he kept coming over was that he was looking for love and get away from the girl that owned him.

One day I was getting ready to go over to the property where the little dog was coming from, as the people there were selling some miniature ponies. While I was getting dressed to go I heard what sounded like the dog barking but never saw him. I thought "oh, he has come back". When I got to the other property I asked about the dog and how he was doing, but the person told me he had been run over and killed several days before. I never heard what sounded like that dog barking at my place again, but will always believe it was him in spirit that day.

Edited by Jasmine333

A pet cat I had died a couple of years ago. She had been with us for 20 years. Every once in a while I could swear I feel a cat jump up on the bed late at night/early morning, but then nothing is there. We still have other cats, could be them, but I never feel them jump down.

Oh well, if it is her, she's still a part of the family.

• Like 1

As to what I saw, it might have been a "real dog" walking about the abbey ruins but who knows. I will say it "appeared to be solid", note the word "appeared", as I was some distance. If I was to let my imagination run somewhat unchecked, I might have thought it was the appearance of "Boatswain", the favorite Newfoundland owned by Lord Byron, who he thought so highly of, that on his loyal dog's death, the dog's ashes were placed in an urn on the "high altar" of the abbey. As the story goes, Byron wished his ashes to be placed beside that of his dog. Byron was cited in one of his writings that he "had but one true friend and here his ashes remain". Byron, however, had little choice of his last resting place and it is quite a far cry from where he wished to be placed on his death. Some say that a hooded figure is, at times, seen walking with the large "dog" among the ruins of the abbey to this date. No photo has ever been taken of the figures, alone or together, successfully.

• Like 1

For those of you that believe this is possible, could you explain how it works exactly?

My understanding of human ghosts is that they are trapped souls that are unable to cross over to the afterlife. So to believe that pets ghosts are possible, do you also have to believe that animals have souls and an afterlife? What's your basis for that belief? If you're a Christian, I don't believe the Bible talks about God blessing animals with souls the way he did man.

If they are capable of having souls and an afterlife - is it all animals? Heaven would be a bit overrun would it not? Every single animal that ever lived would end up there, right? After all, I don't believe there is a way for an animal to be "evil" and therefor there wouldn't be an animal hell, right? What about things like dinosaurs, insects, etc. Would they all be there too?

Not being critical or snippy here, just trying to understand the logic.

Edited by Rafterman

Oh I have an evil cat for sure. I'm sure some cats MUST end up in hell.

shocked.jpg

After death, my cat would come back, bang, bang, bang on the latch of the ceiler door to open it, as she did in life. Door would open, but never saw her come into the room. My dog, (Her ghost) a border collie-- damn good dogs-- stepped in front of my sister and I as we were about to step out of a blind alley and a car was speddng at us. We would have been hit. We thought the car hit the dog, but there was nothing there.

I had to answer this one. My dog was also a Border Collie. Yes, only those who have owned one realize these are dogs with the extra strong love to reach back to us. As you said, damn good dogs.

I wish I could see my black lab Sagan again. I have his ashes, but I only see him in dreams. :cry:

• Like 2

I wish I could see my black lab Sagan again. I have his ashes, but I only see him in dreams. :cry:

x

Remember... all dogs go to heaven. :)

• Like 2

Rafterman: While I don't claim to have all the answers to everything, I think there is a lot to life and/or the afterlife that we still just don't know. I do know, however, that in Genesis God did bless the animals and told them to go and multiply. It is of my belief that every living thing God created has some sort of soul, or spirit.Even though the Bible has a lot of information, not all is disclosed in it. Like at the end of the Book of John in the New Testament John tells us that Jesus did many things, and that if they were all listed even all the volumes in the world could not contain them all, yet we are not told what these things He did were.

I saw a story once on Animal Miracles about a couple who had a dog visit them they had never seen before. The story was long about a woman who had had a serious fall from a horse and was hospitalized quite a while in a coma. The husband would return home each day to find this Golden Retriever-type dog, who would mysteriously disappear from the enclosed yard. Well after the wife came home the dog continued to show up and then disappear. So one night they decided to keep the dog in the bedroom with them, windows closed, never left the room during the night, and the next morning the dog was gone, never to be seen again. The couple thinks it was a dog angel there to comfort the wife while she recovered. The wife said the dog was probably helping someone else somewhere.

Pretty neat story I thought.

Edited by Jasmine333
  • Like 1

interesting read, now as personal experiences lived in an old house which was very active, and wife, friends and myself would hear a little girl and what sounded like a small dog often. I've had the feelings of a cat on my bed many times, but never seeing it there. Now someone asked how is this possible. Well its my belief that our living world is shared by many dimensions. So the concept of heaven, or an afterlife actually is here just on a "higher plane"so we often have paranomal experiences,

Wow...those stories about the border collies really touched my heart as we lost ours last year. She lived to an old age and the vet even made a house call to put her down so she could be in the comfort of her home.

The night she died I cried myself to sleep. I dreamt of her bit she jumped off our back porch and transformed into a much bigger dog with gorgeous white wings and it felt like she was telling me she would always be here to protect our family. I also heard her bark a few times and so has my dad.

I also lost my beloved cat when she was only 5 years old from cancer. She saved my life as she gave me a reason to live. I was devastated and still am over her death. She's visited me in my dreams several times and I have felt her presence even when I was at college.

• Like 1

Wow...those stories about the border collies really touched my heart as we lost ours last year. She lived to an old age and the vet even made a house call to put her down so she could be in the comfort of her home.

The night she died I cried myself to sleep. I dreamt of her bit she jumped off our back porch and transformed into a much bigger dog with gorgeous white wings and it felt like she was telling me she would always be here to protect our family. I also heard her bark a few times and so has my dad.

I also lost my beloved cat when she was only 5 years old from cancer. She saved my life as she gave me a reason to live. I was devastated and still am over her death. She's visited me in my dreams several times and I have felt her presence even when I was at college.

These stories do really get to your heart. I am surprised at the number that are Border Collies. I was so young, he was so trained back in the day, we used to go to the store/butcher shop and my mom would have him carry the package of meat she had purchased home. He would carry that wrapped raw meat so proudly and then lay it down at her feet on the kitchen floor.

I was five at the time what I still clearly remember was just moving over for him to pass me in the hallway, then turning to reach out to him, as I remembered he was gone. I was so little I didn't know at the time he had been put down. Mom didn't and couldn't tell me that until I was an adult. I guess you and I both know, I moved over at that instant, in that momentt because my dog was really still there. I would like to think he still is, I can still see him like it was yesterday.

Funny the number of these stories involving Border Collies. They are special dogs.

My wife and I had a strange experience not long ago. We had four cats at one time, down to one as the others had all passed away. I thought I had seen one on odd occasions, a black one. A friend staying with us definately did as she had never seen him before but described exactly what he had looked like. The other sighting, if you could call it that, was when we were sitting in our living room, which leads into the dining room. Our cat was sitting on the floor, staring at something in the dining room with her pupils really large, I went through and there was nothing there. My wife said, half jokingly, maybe it's Tommy who was one of our cats, come back to see us. She got the mat he used to sleep on, and put it in front of the fireplace where he used to lie, and called him. To our astonishment our cat looked at something coming from the dining room, at the height of a small animal, her head moving as she watched "it" walk round the furniture to get to where the mat lay until finally she stared at the mat. Most odd and no rational explanation.

• Like 2

I do believe that my border collie guided my parents into finding our new border collie. My mom was so grief stricken at the time and our new puppy seems to always stick to my mothers side. I think this was my border collie guiding them to each other. They are such great dogs!

I also felt a cat walking up my bed last night. I know it was my cat that passed away. We shared a special bond.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Hi everyone, I'm new to UM and this my first post, but I've been reading on the site for months. I'm not one to put myself out there, but here goes...about a week and a half ago (March 27) we had to put my 15 yr old cat Casey to sleep. He was a rescue I'd had since he was 4 wks old. I'm still trying to reconcile the fact that he's gone, and the grief is debilitating. I still look for him when I get home out of habit, he would always come out to greet me, all those little things. My husband says I call for him in my sleep.

A couple nights after he was gone, we were in the living room and I could have sworn I heard him meow twice from our bedroom which is at the end of the hallway. He would always do this when we were out in the LR on the couch and he was In the BR, like he was waiting for us to go to bed. It was late, and he always slept on my pillow by my head. I know it was probably my imagination, wishful thinking, an animal outside, etc., but it was so uniquely his meow, it tore at my heart. Friday night my husband brought his ashes home which sent me spiraling again, but he also told me he thought he saw him walking down the hallway the other night, then fade away.

Reading all your stories has really helped. I just wanted to say thank you.

Edited by Kasha
  • Like 2