Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Bread that lasts for 60 days

Still Waters

An American company has developed a technique that it says can make bread stay mould-free for 60 days.

The bread is zapped in a sophisticated microwave array which kills the spores that cause the problem.

The company claims it could significantly reduce the amount of wasted bread - in the UK alone, almost a third of loaves purchased.

The technique can also be used with a wide range of foods including fresh turkey and many fruits and vegetables.

http://www.bbc.co.uk...onment-20540758

"microwave frequencies" and how safe is this? obviously they are going to say it is absolutely safe, they said that about toothpaste and flouride.

Not all bread is sold in plastic bags, so how do you stop the bread going stale if this technique is designed to stop the mould because of the packaging?

Some will say its a good idea, but trying to solve the problem of excess breeding and this new form of human wastage is not going to stop because someone has a loaf of bread which lasts a bit longer.

You watch how many people will still say " I am not eating that" after it has been there a week. Also this would be a good idea for those on small incomes, but you can guarantee this bread will not be cheap, so this just defeats the whole object.

There is no way bread companies will be prepared to lose their profits because people are going to buy 1 loaf every other month instead of 1 loaf every other day, they will make their money back in the cost.

Any chance of the complete list of ingredients, we already know they are using a microwave technique.

• Like 1

Before ppl start saying no because they're biased:

Could be a real life saver for third world countries. AND:

Mr Stull believes that the technology could impact bread in other ways. He said that bread manufacturers added lots of preservatives to try and fight mould, but then must add extra chemicals to mask the taste of the preservatives. If bakers were able to use the microwave technology, they would be able to avoid these additives.

so it could actually be healthier than bread we have right now!

Edited by Render
  • Like 1

"microwave frequencies" and how safe is this? obviously they are going to say it is absolutely safe, they said that about toothpaste and flouride.

Not all bread is sold in plastic bags, so how do you stop the bread going stale if this technique is designed to stop the mould because of the packaging?

Some will say its a good idea, but trying to solve the problem of excess breeding and this new form of human wastage is not going to stop because someone has a loaf of bread which lasts a bit longer.

You watch how many people will still say " I am not eating that" after it has been there a week. Also this would be a good idea for those on small incomes, but you can guarantee this bread will not be cheap, so this just defeats the whole object.

There is no way bread companies will be prepared to lose their profits because people are going to buy 1 loaf every other month instead of 1 loaf every other day, they will make their money back in the cost.

Any chance of the complete list of ingredients, we already know they are using a microwave technique.

Exactly!

What about the humble fridge or freezer?

That will stop the pesky mould spores in their tracks.

They won't be exactly at room temperature so it'll stunt their growth.

But for the benefits of those not privy to this...

It will stop world hunger.

Have they found some way to stop milk curdling?

Not that I've got an aversion to black coffee.

Edited by Walnut Whip

i wouldn't eat that bread.. cant be good for you..

It's mummified you see!

• Like 1

McDonalds seem to have pionered this years ago...

"You want flies with that? McDonald's Happy Meal shows no sign of decomposing after SIX MONTHS"

see: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1319562/McDonalds-Happy-Meal-bought-Sally-Davies-shows-sign-mould-6-months.html

i wouldn't eat that bread.. cant be good for you..

Mr Stull believes that the technology could impact bread in other ways. He said that bread manufacturers added lots of preservatives to try and fight mould, but then must add extra chemicals to mask the taste of the preservatives. If bakers were able to use the microwave technology, they would be able to avoid these additives.

What about the humble fridge or freezer?

That will stop the pesky mould spores in their tracks.

They won't be exactly at room temperature so it'll stunt their growth.

But for the benefits of those not privy to this...

It will stop world hunger.

mmmmmmm.. pass me the butter and jam..

Don't forget the jar of embalming fluid!

Sounds basically the same as irradiated food. Isn't this already being done in some parts of the world?

I would eat it, it's not like I'm going to get a high dose of gamma radiation and Hulk-Smash stuff. :D

Difficult one....

For myself I have the luxury of being able to buy bread as and when I need it. Many people do not have this luxury. I would support the manufacture of this so that it could be sent (by sea - much cheaper than air - freight) to areas in need.

Removing chemicals from my bread would be great (preservatives) - but manufacturers would not survive if they put this bread on general release

Foods that do not decompose from bacterial attack,or grow mold,are foods that are not recognised at food matter,by the afore mentioned organisms .

Ergo,they are probably really not good for human consumption .

Think of those McDonald's meals that don't decompose for months on end.

No thanks .

http://microwavetest.blogspot.com/

Numerous people have done this test,including a friend of mine,with similiar results.

Snopes claims its not true .

I believe nothing on Snopes anymore .

Microwaves change actual DNA structure .No thanks .

They say gmos will save the world too .No thanks .

Sounds basically the same as irradiated food. Isn't this already being done in some parts of the world?

I would eat it, it's not like I'm going to get a high dose of gamma radiation and Hulk-Smash stuff. :D

Hulk tear gamma bread to pieces, then eat pieces!

Edited by WoIverine
  • Like 1