Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Do not eat grapefruit,and take medications

Simbi Laveau

http://www.japantoday.com/category/health/view/dangers-of-mixing-grapefruit-with-drugs-rises?utm_campaign=jt_newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_source=jt_newsletter_2012-12-03_AM

Mixing grapefruit or its juice,with medications,can be very dangerous ,study shows .

All kinds of meds can be affected ,so its best to never ingest grapefruit anything,within an hour or two ,of taking a medication of any kind.

Most citrus fruits are a bad idea with meds ,especially meds that irritate the stomach .

Aspirin ,Motrin .

I once had a horrible call of a woman vomiting copious amounts of Frank red blood ,from a stomach bleed .

She had taken her aspirin and Motrin ,for arthritic pain ,every day,with orange juice ,for months .

Burned a hole in her stomach .

Be mindful of meds !

• Like 1

I was was in the hospital and my mom had brought be grapefruit juice and when the nurses found out I was drinking it they told me to stop because it would counteract the meds they were giving me

• Like 1

But it is still perfectly fine to drink alcohol right?

• Like 1

I'm on a med where its been stipulated to not consume grapefruit, it's annoying as I like grapefruit juice, but living without is not going to kill me. If it was chocolate however....

• Like 2

But it is still perfectly fine to drink alcohol right?

Well if you feel the need,feel free .No reason to bother with reading the medication precautions or insert .....

Or did you mean alcohol with grapefruit juice ? I know lots of drinks can be made with grapefruit juice .Not sure if its safe. I would think so ,but let me look .

Edited by Simbi Laveau

Need something to wash the pills down with.

Need something to wash the pills down with.

Well ,if you want . I won't tie your hands .

As for grapefruit with alcohol,there are no contraindications for mixing the two .

http://www.medicinenet.com/script/main/art.asp?articlekey=14760

This article actually says you should not have grapefruit anything,within 24 hours of ingesting one of the more reactable meds .

• Like 1

I wonder why though I mean grapefruit juice is generally good for you and Its one of my favorite drinks, but like Bling said its not gonna kill me to go without it.

I wonder why though I mean grapefruit juice is generally good for you and Its one of my favorite drinks, but like Bling said its not gonna kill me to go without it.

For some reason, there are true chemicals in grapefruit which can cause minor to serious problems with certain meds.

This IS a recognized fact, no "urban myth" here.

• Like 1

For some reason, there are true chemicals in grapefruit which can cause minor to serious problems with certain meds.

This IS a recognized fact, no "urban myth" here.

Oh I believe it but I think its just odd that that was the only juice my docs told me not to drink while I was on certain medications.

Oh I believe it but I think its just odd that that was the only juice my docs told me not to drink while I was on certain medications.

The second link I posted there names the chemicals in grapefruit ,that are reactive,and how it was discovered 20 years ago,by,accident.

It potentiates some drugs ,which means it makes them 100s of times stronger in our bloodsteam ,which is dangerous and can be deadly .

In others,it nullifies the meds. It's quite interesting how it works like a drug ,when combined with drugs .