Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Are there alien messages in the stars ?

Saru

Astrophysicist Lucianne Walkowicz believes that there could be something obvious we are missing.

The odds of a discovery with Walkowicz’s project may be long, but the search technique is quite straightforward. “Our premise,” she says, “is that up until now, we’ve had a preconceived idea of what a SETI signal would look like. ”

arrow3.gifRead more...

• Like 1

Astrophysicist Lucianne Walkowicz believes that there could be something obvious we are missing.

They arent stupid enough to broadcast their existance?

Not unless they like being slave labour or dinner.

What, to us? I think we'd have a while to wait yet before we'd be likely to be any possible danger to any Extraterrestrial civilisation.

The trouble with this theory would seem to be that if they did (say) have something that they could wave in front of a Star to send a signal in Morse, it would be years before anyone even in a neighbouring system even saw it, let alone had any likelihood of responding to it. Well, that's one of the troubles, there are probably loads more, but that'd do for now, I suppose.

• Like 1

I don't think we are missing the obvious, the obvious did not happen ten thousands of years ago, that is why we cannot see it yet.

Messages will be very old if they find anything at all.

A bit of a long shot ,i think the funds could be used more productively elsewhere...

• Like 1

The trouble with this theory would seem to be that if they did (say) have something that they could wave in front of a Star to send a signal in Morse, it would be years before anyone even in a neighbouring system even saw it, let alone had any likelihood of responding to it. Well, that's one of the troubles, there are probably loads more, but that'd do for now, I suppose.

That's true. She'll spend a great amount of money trying to find evidence, that aliens exist, with almost no possibility to achieve anything at all.

The question is, that the immense power and technology required to turn a star into a morse code torch that signals across the universe...... do we really want to invite that here?

• Like 2

has anyone thought if there might be messages encoded in Quasars and those kind of things? That might be an idea worth pursuing, for someone with a very large computer and not much else to do. :unsure2:

It would be funny if when we did discover a blinking star message that it would say "..fatal error.... Universe resets in 10....9....8...." :w00t:

• Like 1

I suspect that if there is a message out there, it will be encrypted in a manner that mandates the recipient be sufficiently evolved as to assure some form of mutual compatibility.

• Like 1

It would be funny if when we did discover a blinking star message that it would say "..fatal error.... Universe resets in 10....9....8...." :w00t:

LMAO that would suck the big one, But I mean nobody lives forever

The question is, that the immense power and technology required to turn a star into a morse code torch that signals across the universe...... do we really want to invite that here?

Probably not I love how you think they would be hostile, I mean thats the natural human trait in us

OK, well, her idea is so weird as to not even be remotely plausable.

Edited by pallidin
  • Like 2

I suspect that if there is a message out there, it will be encrypted in a manner that mandates the recipient be sufficiently evolved as to assure some form of mutual compatibility.

An interesting problem. How to create and encode a signal that can only be perceived or understood by mutually compatible beings. Being compatible with an alien form of intelligent life implies tolerance, and the flexibility of mind this requires probably also confers creativity. The solution to any form of encryption in, or concealment of such a message should be a creative one. I would expect a brilliant individual to solve it, but not a code-breaking computer.

OK, well, her idea is so weird as to not even be remotely plausable.

I'm with you on that,would an Alien Civilisation waste massive resources to even attempt to send message in this manner?

As you say not plausibe and i may add a waste of time.

• Like 1

All we need now is another 12-21-12 only on a galactic level LOL

Hmm I wonder if alien tastes like chicken..

• Like 1

Damn! I knew I should have gone to college then I could get funding for my life long search for Narnia, Middle-earth, and R'lyeh.

• Like 1

although initially it sounds somewhat novel and unworthy to attempt to prove such notions..it would be reason enough to speculate on a different level..as to make an attempt to understand an alien mind beyond a physiologically and psychologically standpoint..that in itself is going to be harder than the actual "looking" for any messages...can a species with the capability to make use of extrasolar energy in accordance to create a sustaining and cohesive interstellar open letter to all others??..firstly it would be foolish for the simple reason that one cannot determine the mentality of any given social group..secondly it would probably be smart, if one is wanting to look, to a solar system with radiation that is higher than that of the levels of here on this planet...the greater amount of radiation from a good light source might have a bearing on how fast and how well developed a planet to be.

Edited by Godzilla52670